Impressions of MTW2

I'm having a lot of fun so far; this game is far, far better than RTW. The only real problem I'm having is the cavalry charge bug; hopefully, the next patch will fix it.

It's not so much they're vicious, it's more that they completely strike randomly and without warning.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!. :lol:

You have to keep your religion levels high.

It's great. The best one yet. I was worried it wouldn't run but it runs fairly well in battles

How are you finding the game itself Dell? I always liked your insights into Rome, and it would be interesting to see how you feel this game has added to the Total War series

I haven't played it that much so far since I've only had it a day. :) It does seem very similar to RTW but with artillary. Diplomacy seemed to have been improved however I've still managed to be at war with every neighbour at the same time after attacking an excommunicated Milan. The AI still does dumb things like staying in range of ballista towers. I would like Jihads and Crusades to end after a number of failed attempts. It seems silly that Constantinople is going to be forever attacked by Egypt and the Turks.

Currently large fortress battles are a bit laggy on my computer however normal battles work fine. I'm glad that assassins are not that powerful as in MTW it was possible to destroy enemy nations simply by using assassins to kill the royal family. Converting cities seems to be a bit too quick.

Reading the manual seems to suggest that they could go on forever though. :)

Personally I find that England is my favourite nation, longbow men, billhook men/militia and Mailed knights do very well as a combination early in the game.

Also, some information *IMPORTANT* about merchants, they get a lump sum of money when they buy out another merchant. I didn't realise this untill my third or fourth game.

Also, any reactions on Denmark?

I've had M2:TW for about 3 days, so far it's really good i've been messing around in custom battle mode to learn the strengths of each army and damn the turks have kickass arty! On question about merchants how do they get better is it just through aquistitions or can it be through camping a resource forever?

I've had M2:TW for about 3 days, so far it's really good i've been messing around in custom battle mode to learn the strengths of each army and damn the turks have kickass arty! On question about merchants how do they get better is it just through aquistitions or can it be through camping a resource forever?

Numreous ways, taking over from other merchants, sitting on a resource long enough (Monpoly trait) etc. Someone got +2 because their merchant was "Well travelled", yes you heard correct, bonus for walking your merchant accross the map :D

RIght, got the game on Saturday. been playing it a great deal. here we go.

Playing as the Spanish (obviously) kicked ass, left Valencia to themselves to let El Cid die before takingt he city. Decided to attack Portugal, got kicked out the Church, had the Moors and French declare war on me as a result of the attacks. French came running for peace after I took Lisbon and I finished off the Moors in Spain, now about to take Valencia and then into Africa.

Now, my opinions.

Very good game, enjoyable. agree with the majority of what's been said already. The Pope's a complete git, he doesn't like me very much. Like the idea of religion. Now, should they really be called the French? or would they be the Franks? also, shouldn't Spain be Castile? etc. etc.

Now, Merchants, do you just need to double click on a resource to start getting money? Also, what does sacking a city do? you don't butcher the civies but you don't really leave it alone either.

Love the idea of prisoners, although I've yet to get anyone agree to the randsom, I had to kill the Moorish heir. Doh.

Just wanted to post a quick reply so I can run back to playing it. woo.

steviejay said:
Very good game, enjoyable. agree with the majority of what's been said already. The Pope's a complete git, he doesn't like me very much. Like the idea of religion. Now, should they really be called the French? or would they be the Franks? also, shouldn't Spain be Castile? etc. etc.

His Holiness seems to love me, though always has an obsession with promoting Danish priests to Cardinals.

The France/Spain thing is probably more for gameplay purposes and for ease of identifying for some players, rather than historical reasons. I'm also fairly sure that some of the cities didn't actually exist at the beginning of the game timeline either.

steviejay said:
Now, Merchants, do you just need to double click on a resource to start getting money? Also, what does sacking a city do? you don't butcher the civies but you don't really leave it alone either.

You just need to place the merchant on top of a resource and he'll start accumulating money.

As I understand it, sacking a city wipes out a small amount of the population and gives you the largest amount of money, whereas exterminating it let's you (ahem) build the settlement from scratch. I usually sack the city, and only exterminate out of anger if the city had rebelled against me.

steviejay said:
Just wanted to post a quick reply so I can run back to playing it. woo.

Glad it runs and all is well! I believe I'll get back to playing it now, the Mongols just invaded and I haven't wrapped up my war against the Turks!

I would like this game a lot more if there wasn't a turn limit. It is hard enough to get 45 regions, let alone reach Jerusalem if you are the English, arg!

I would like this game a lot more if there wasn't a turn limit. It is hard enough to get 45 regions, let alone reach Jerusalem if you are the English, arg!

What Difficulty you playing on? Regardless, once Scotlands conquored, those isles are a lovly money maker, pratically fund your expansion on the mainland (that and the exterminations). Although to be fair, I had to make a mad dash for Jersuelm in the last 40 Go's, once I realised destroying nations wasn't quick enough.

I have three armies in the region, including the one holding the pass you see on the bottom left. A fourth army is being trained. The walls of Constantinople will not be threatened!

I hope :run:

:lol:

You don't stand a chance. :rotfl:

Good luck again. Keep us informed and show us the mini-map in the corner. I want to see empires please. :smug:

heh that's some serious ownage there. I've only just got word of the Mongol hordes. sent a diplomat east to see if I can make contact....

Anyone want to explain this one to me....

er..... yeah. come on guys.... you've taken that too far

steviejay said:
heh that's some serious ownage there. I've only just got word of the Mongol hordes. sent a diplomat east to see if I can make contact....

Anyone want to explain this one to me....

er..... yeah. come on guys.... you've taken that too far

RTW's droppings. The AI loves to spam ships.

Top Bottom