In Development Random Events

I am working on the decisions for the event system as I can, but if any one had any ideas for decisions they'd like to see please post.
Is it should be something like that?
Spoiler :
Event: foxes\wolves\bears harass the farmers (before medieval)
Options:
1)hire trappers (require trapper tech, -80 gold. +3 gold per turn +1 food for 10 turn.(fur and meat from beasts))
2)find volunteers from citizens (1 population lost due casualties +3 gold per turn +2 food for 10 turn)
3)do nothing (-4 food for 10 turn)

btw how many actions can be? only 3? or it can be either 2 or 4?

Florence has been under your control for a long time. The people are restless, and desire to be free. The revolutionary council of Florence has decreed that they wish to have their independence.

-Allow independence. + that city states bonus x4 for 50 turns. Ally with city state at 250 points. +10 global happiness
-Execute Rebels. Barbarians appear around city. City goes into 10 turn revolt. -3 Population.
I'd make that one rare. I would like to see decisions that are hard to choose between and not just hey heres some stuff for free. Also reducing not just gold but any yield to have a trade off for something else would be nice.

Event update:

I currently am up to 50 decisions, and about a dozen random event.

Except for a few that are triggered by specific circumstances, most of the events are era based.

I wanted to get an idea of roughly how spaced players would like to see the events (fe, 25 turns, etc. this probably will not be an exact number as some events need certain requirements before they'll trigger). If you have any opinions please post.

Also I have added the suggested events, though I had to modify some to fit within what I was able to code.

This is fantastic!
I was first thinking that somebody could do a disaster mod, but this seems better. I do have a lot of ideas.

How about a new Pantheon belief? Acts of angry gods. If a city is struck by (natural) disaster, you get immediately 100 faith.

Then new civil unit: Rescue worker. They move twice the speed of normal worker. Can repair damaged buildings or improvements. Can also 'heal' one lost population (if killed because of the disaster). Requires hospital. Cost 90 hammers. Can also stop a forest fire. This could not do anything really, until a disaster of some kind hits. Preparation.. just like in real life.

New building: Dam. Equal to road (production wise). Can prevent the flooding either at rivers or some coasts.

New Tech: Meteorology. Predicts Hurricanes, Blizzards, Tornadoes etc one turn in advance. It would be interesting to receive a warning one turn in advance saying, that we are expecting a heavy hurricane hitting the coast of x city next turn. You could then move units to cover or something.

I had one additional idea about the terrorists. What about if you have a bombing in your city/cities or a modern weapon barbarian camp next to your city Only, if you have abused any city-state in last 500 years? Or are friends with a civ that has.

I also planned a natural disaster for each type of terrain (to make it more equal).
Hurricane Coast
Tornado Plains
Sandstorm Desert
Blizzard Tundra
Earthquake Mountains and hills
Forest Fire Jungle and forest

Also a Volcano for random places and Flood for rivers.. but I guess you already have that.

For Hurricane, for example, I planned: Hits entire coast (west or south or..) of a continent (and nearby islands). Affects the coastal tiles, 3 water tiles and then one to inland. All buildings/improvements etc need to be repaired in affected tile (also vessels). 50% Population lost from the affected tiles. Except once you have discovered meteorology, you can move the population from those coastal tiles to safety. Faith output increased +2 of the hit city.

I have plenty of more ideas, if they are of interest. Are they? Should I post what I planned for Blizzard etc.?

Just as another example, here is what I planned for different diseases for different eras. All have different features, implications and the way of contaminating.
Ancient Lepracy
Classical Arthritis
Medieval Plague
Renaissance Pox
Industrial Tuberculosis
Modern Cancer/HIV
Atomic Animal Flu
Information Jungle fever

New building: Dam. Equal to road (production wise). Can prevent the flooding either at rivers or some coasts.

Well i was thinking about the dam time ago, i created this building time ago for my own mod, but didnt included it into CCTP, but since it can also create some Electricity i might bring it back.

New Tech: Meteorology. Predicts Hurricanes, Blizzards, Tornadoes etc one turn in advance. It would be interesting to receive a warning one turn in advance saying, that we are expecting a heavy hurricane hitting the coast of x city next turn. You could then move units to cover or something.

For the technologies, yes its doable, the only weather related technologies in the next version of CCTP will be the climate control ones.

But i could write some new technologies that would act as weather technologies through all eras.

At least, some notes, even when i like your suggestions, i need to say that random events need to be balanced for the ai.

The ai isnt like we humans aware of all this stuff and it could be a game breaker if the ai cant handle negativ events.

This means, i.e. we humans can use a repair worker but the ai will have no clue what the unit does.

I have plenty of more ideas, if they are of interest. Are they?

Thanks for the input, and you should always post your ideas, even if we can't use them, it helps to give us stuff to think about.

I have a tornado and flood random event in already.

I also have a hurricane event, but it is currently done as a post-modern - future decision where you have the option of testing a weather control system.

The ai isnt like we humans aware of all this stuff and it could be a game breaker if the ai cant handle negativ events.

This means, i.e. we humans can use a repair worker but the ai will have no clue what the unit does.

I see. Well, then we have to find some alternative ways of doing this. I will try to adjust these over the weekend and then post altered suggestions.
I suppose meteorology or something can still be used for example in "you get 50% less damage" type thing.

But I guess my ideas are welcomed anyway. :)

What I had for tornado: Occurs in one tile, then travels randomly 4 turns eating 2 tiles in turn. destroys everything (incl population of the tile). if hits city, output of science +2, faith +1. bomb shelter protects 100% population. (Meteorology warns 1 turn in advance - not needed now I guess).

Blizzard for Tundra: 15 Tundra tiles turn white for 3 turns. Production 1/2. Food production stopped for 3 turns. Culture output doubled 6 turns (you can create all kinds of fancy snow and xmas events :) )

Sandstorm for Desert: 15 desert tiles affected. 1/2 units killed in the area, no effect in armored vehicles, or garrisoned units. Can reveal ruins or natural wonder.

Forest fire for Jungle and Forest: Fire in forest, 10 tiles 2 turns, spreads 10 per turn. Burning 4 turns. "Forest cleared, no production". Destroys lumbermills etc. +1 gold, +1 culture for burning time if next to city (I was thinking of (celebrity) fund rising and different cultural events). The original idea was to have rescue workers to be able to put the fire away, but..

Earthquake for mountains or hills: "Earthquake destroyed *City Name*". City loses buildings, even wonders, and loses 25% population. Culture, faith & science output +1. Can reveal gold, silver or gems. Again, some population could have been revived/healed by those rescue workers, but maybe just smaller death toll..?

Volcano for random places. Eruption affects 1+1+1 tiles in each direction. If in water, will create an island. Each volcano erupts 0 - 3 times per game. Destroys everythin in first circle, all improvements damaged next circle (50% population dies), 35% improvements needs repairement in 3rd circle. Output +2 faith (+10 until medieval), +5 culture, +3 tourism. Has extra wine and extra gem in nearby tiles extra from the beginning = attracts a city to be built.

Now when I see these.. maybe just smaller damage is in order without them rescue workers..?

What the heck... I will post what I have now, maybe some additional/alternative thoughts later. At least you will get some ideas I hope. :)

DISEASES:
Ancient - Lepracy: "a unit was killed by Lepracy". You will lose just one single (random) unit.

Classical - Arthritis: 35% of your workers in one random city work 50% slower because of Arthritis for 20 turns.

Medieval - Plague: Maybe worst catastrophe in human history. Each city loses 10% of population for each element if it has: open borders, road, trading post, harbor, traderoutes to/from different locations. For example if city has 1 trade route to city-state and another trade route from another civ, plus road to neighbor city, it loses 30% of the population. Max 60% of the population can be killed. Units count as population if garrisoned inside of city.
If the city has a castle, it suffers 10% less (i.e. 10% can be deducted from the accumulated percentage). Although, if it is possible to actually get infected from religion spreading, or trading over some time period, even better.

Renaissance - Pox: All your coastal cities suffer from pox. You cannot build a settler and the city does not grow for 10 turns. If city has a harbor, 1 population is killed.
If city has a university, the time is reduced to 5 turns.
If civ does not have any coastal city, then it is the capitol.

Industrial - tuberculosis: One random city is hit bad, and another city some.
30% less production for 15 turns for bad.
15% less procution for 10 turns for some.
If at war, units fight 25% less effectively for 10 turns.
With biology you suffer 5 turns less.

Modern - Cancer/HIV: Only civs with happiness 4 or more are affected.
If a city has population of 5 or more, it loses 1 faith and 10% culture per turn for 15 turns.
If city has a hotel, then it suffers 5 extra turns.

Atomic - Animal Flu: Each city with population 10 or more, or with airport, will lose 2 population. Tourism in such city is only 50% for 20 turns.
If you have ecology, you suffer 5 turns less. If you have penicillin, you suffer also 5 turns less. If you have a medical lab, you only lose 1 population.

Information - Jungle Fever: 2 random city-states are completely destroyed (maybe the ones next to a jungle tile). (This also therefore affects UN.)
Each civ that had any contact (pledge to protect, or trade etc) will lose 10% of tourism permanently.
Also 10% of population of the city in contact dies.
If civ has nanotech, then only 5% dies and toursim is affected.

And one more: ACTS OF GODS

Ancient - Horrible discovery: You find an ancient evil curse from the ruins. It kills your unit.
*This is only in one ruins in the whole game.

Classical - Famine: ALL fields in the game produce -2 food for 6 turns.

Medieval - War of gods: Three most faith producing elements (building, wonder..) of the game (of different religions) are struck down for 12 turns. They produce no faith at that time.

Renaissance - Cultural catastrophe: A great fire destroyes remarkable cultural building.
Capitol's most producing cultural building, is partly destroyed. It must be rebuilt for x hammers, and during that time it does not produce any culture. That happens only if you have built arsenal. If it is not in the capitol, then the largest city that has one.

Industrial - Oil catastrophe: Each Civ that produces oil, faces this. Production of oil only 50% for 5 turns. Also the loss of gold -10 per turn for 5 turns.
(If you dispatch a rescue worker, they can fix the problem in 2 turns.)
If it is at sea tile, ALL cities that are within 8 tiles of the spill, will lose half of the tourism for 10 turns.

Modern - Stock collapse: ALL stock exchanges of the world are affected.
For 10 turns they produce only 50% gold.

Atomic - Nuclear meltdown: There is 1% chance, that a nuclear plant melts down in each turn. If it does, it is considered as a nuclear strike. But this you had already I suppose.

Information - Solar Flares: ALL modern, atomic and information era buildings stop producing for 3 turns in the game (i.e. the ones that run on electricity).

Thanks for the ideas. Some I have already made events for, such as pretty much every one in your last post. The nuclear meltdown is a random event, bu the rest are all decision related. I currently have about 70 random and decision events, so it would be a bit to list them all. I have the solar flare as future event, due to the related choices to attempt to protect against.

But thanks for the input, it is always welcome.

GREAT!
and as I have indicated, I cannot build mods, only have (a lot of) ideas. So no need to post whatever you have planned. I am grateful if some of my thoughts are put into action and I get to play a super cool game! :scan:

Here I have few very random things. I have not really thought them thru, but maybe you get some ideas.

For Medieval - Dark Ages: If you have ever converted anyone, one of your religious units is assasinated.

Renaissance - Angry peasants: a worker turns into barbarian if civ runs out of gold and has happines more than 3. This happens as many turns as the gold output is negative and happiness above 3 in a row. Max 8 workers. (inspired by what happened in France in 18th century).

Modern - Train/flight accident: One of the random airplanes or traines will be destroyed. 1 population from the nearest city (not necessarily yours) is lost.

I also had something for the ancient era: Wrath of gods. (This is due to the fact, that I hate people rushing into wonders of advanced technology when they do not even know what a bow and arrow is.)
If you haven't completed more than two of the following (Pottery, Animal Husbandry, Archery and Mining), but you start to study a Classical era tech, one of your cities will be struck by a natural disaster. This is the one that is suitable for the terrain, but can be random (e.g. if you have a city on hills by the coast, it can be either an arhtquake or a hurricane).

I also had something for the ancient era: Wrath of gods. (This is due to the fact, that I hate people rushing into wonders of advanced technology when they do not even know what a bow and arrow is.)
If you haven't completed more than two of the following (Pottery, Animal Husbandry, Archery and Mining), but you start to study a Classical era tech, one of your cities will be struck by a natural disaster. This is the one that is suitable for the terrain, but can be random (e.g. if you have a city on hills by the coast, it can be either an arhtquake or a hurricane).

Just a note in CCTP the classic era got more then 60 technologies (next version) and much more wonders then the vanilla in this era.

Also you cant hit the classic era without the knowlege of most of the ancient technologies.

But to another point.

While iam including new improvements to the game, i have the feeling we should link some of them to the events.

What i have in mind would be the beacon, if its constructed it would reduce (or maybe avoid) the impact of meteors on adjanced tiles (maybe a radius of 9)

But to explain this to the ai is another story, also im thinking of includung a weather station (or maybe control center) that would effect the weather events.

What I had for tornado: Occurs in one tile, then travels randomly 4 turns eating 2 tiles in turn. destroys everything (incl population of the tile). if hits city, output of science +2, faith +1. bomb shelter protects 100% population. (Meteorology warns 1 turn in advance - not needed now I guess).

Blizzard for Tundra: 15 Tundra tiles turn white for 3 turns. Production 1/2. Food production stopped for 3 turns. Culture output doubled 6 turns (you can create all kinds of fancy snow and xmas events :) )

Sandstorm for Desert: 15 desert tiles affected. 1/2 units killed in the area, no effect in armored vehicles, or garrisoned units. Can reveal ruins or natural wonder.

Forest fire for Jungle and Forest: Fire in forest, 10 tiles 2 turns, spreads 10 per turn. Burning 4 turns. "Forest cleared, no production". Destroys lumbermills etc. +1 gold, +1 culture for burning time if next to city (I was thinking of (celebrity) fund rising and different cultural events). The original idea was to have rescue workers to be able to put the fire away, but..

Earthquake for mountains or hills: "Earthquake destroyed *City Name*". City loses buildings, even wonders, and loses 25% population. Culture, faith & science output +1. Can reveal gold, silver or gems. Again, some population could have been revived/healed by those rescue workers, but maybe just smaller death toll..?

Volcano for random places. Eruption affects 1+1+1 tiles in each direction. If in water, will create an island. Each volcano erupts 0 - 3 times per game. Destroys everythin in first circle, all improvements damaged next circle (50% population dies), 35% improvements needs repairement in 3rd circle. Output +2 faith (+10 until medieval), +5 culture, +3 tourism. Has extra wine and extra gem in nearby tiles extra from the beginning = attracts a city to be built.

Now when I see these.. maybe just smaller damage is in order without them rescue workers..?

I already have some related events(tonado, flood..), but I am going to try and add more, however some things such as changing tiles white for three turns can be done, but because of the way the game handles tiles, it can require reloading the game for the effects to be seen. Given the length of time a game can take to reload, this effect probably wouldn't be worth it.

I also will probably not make most events happen more than one turn. I already have some event that have effects for multiple turns, but to do so requires a separate subroutine for each one, as the game progresses, too many of these could cause the turns to become even more bogged down and slow, which I am trying to avoid.

sounds reasonable.

I did not figure out yet anything to compensate the rescue workers. Except the milder damage. But if the influence is usually just one turn, then I guess it covers it.

Top Bottom