Increased Tile Yields Mod

Going to have a go of it now, was playing a marathon game but seriously so dam boring!! by the posts here im hoping this is all changed :D

im not sure it its dumb luck or a civ trait but im playing marathon as rome and its turn 400 and the americans have about 40 units and 16 cities already! im barely able to spread out to 8 and i have 6 workers and 2 legions full time road building and they arnt even connected yet but the americans have an almost fully developed infrastructure. its a little disheartening...

Also, how would people feel about me increasing tech research costs by 25%, and also increasing Wonder Build costs by 25% as well?
Sounds good to me. I always end up increasing research time by quite a bit in my games just to slow down tech advancement a bit. I'd like to use my Legions before upgrading to Longswordsmen in my games :p

Wonder costs? I'm not so sure about that one. As long as it's not 40-50 turn waits (in a semi-productive city) for them then it's fine.

The Angry Gerbil from Balder's Gate will need to release these modifications or suffer the wrath of Augustus Caesar's Legions.

Better watch yo' back...

I just got done with a stunningly slow Marathon campaign as Rome. In past Civ games, I prefer Marathon because the ages last longer and you get a chance to toy with the units for that age alot more. But Civ5 at Marathon was utterly boring because everything took too long to build and produce. My first game as Japan on Standard speed was way too fast and the ages were over in the blink of an eye, which was not what I wanted.

I'm giving the Tile tweaks a try. Hopefully it rectifies the problem.

The module system has a lot of problems (ie, it doesn't WORK) if your steam isn't installed on the C:/ drive. Then you need to manually open the Civ5pack file (it's just a renamed .zip file) and extract the files to the Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS folder.

valk: sounds great, the other production mod by ice has this done fort he wealth at 50%

The Angry Gerbil from Balder's Gate will need to release these modifications or suffer the wrath of Augustus Caesar's Legions.

Better watch yo' back...

Gerbil?!? It's Hamster, good sir. :p

valk: sounds great, the other production mod by ice has this done fort he wealth at 50%

I know, I just opted to have the wealth and research processes at the same level of efficiency.

Also, how would people feel about me increasing tech research costs by 25%, and also increasing Wonder Build costs by 25% as well?

Thanks for this mod! This makes the game so much more enjoyable to play on slower speeds.

I think tech needs to be slowed somewhat, I've only played a bit, but I went back to the production only version, simply because my empire seemed to snowball a bit and research times started to come down.

Another way of looking at it: I wonder if you have overdone the food bonuses - this leads to more pop == more science and also bumping into happiness caps. You mentioned above I think that you were thinking of tweaking happiness, but that will just make the science speed-up worse.

The way I see it, the problem is principally production. We want to do more stuff and we want the AI to do more stuff, so we need production bonuses. Gold needs to be boosted because all this extra stuff needs maintenance. But food/population/science I think is ok much nearer the defaults - tweaking this increases the tech pace more than anything else and we might as well play on normal speed if we wanted that :D

I only play marathon (and warlord at the moment) but in order to make things enjoyable, I set the research to 375% (up from 300%) and the production to 150% (down from 300%). I was finding that I was researching so fast that I would bypass entire units. I literally went from horsemen to lancers, bypassing Knights. Did the same with Minutemen...went from crossbows to riflemen as I couldn't produce faster than I could research. I may bump research up to 400% just to spread it out a bit. On marathon, 25% increase in research isn't really enough.

I don't know that it's possible yet, but I'd like to see the number of units a strategic resource can support be increased a bit. At present that 1 to 1 ratio is a bit low. I was thinking maybe 1 to 3 might be best. I'm not sure how to change that though and can't test to see if that's OP or not...

Ok so I've been toying with both the production mod and Ice's mod and have mashed together something formyself that I find to be very playable.

I toned back you production tweaks and implemented the game speed changes while slowing the tech speed. I don't know that it's ready to be posted here and I have no clue how to actually implement a mod. But I've gotten decent at editing the files. so If you guys want I can probably upload the files I've been playing with.

Major changes that I've found to be the biggest improvments again this is all for Marathon:

400% tech speed (instead of 300)
225% all other speeds (instead of 300)

hills on grass = 1 food 1 prod
Coasts = 2 food 1 gold
cows = 1 food 1 prod
ivory = 1 prod 1 gold

All other resources give 2 instead of 1 accross the board
All improvments (mines, farms, plantations etc.) Give 2 instead of 1 of everything

And thats about it.

I'm not done playing thorugh my first full marathon yet. But I've played 3 partial games upto about midevil and found that this works pretty good. I think the food bonus on farms and coasts might be too much. I think I'd like to tone it back to +1 and make some other tech give an addtional +1 further down the tech tree.

Also the speed change on tile improvments is too much and should probably be toned back to 300... workers just work too fast.

Last on tech too slow in the begining too fast as time goes on. Really what I think needs to happen is bump this to 450-500 and then reduce the costs of early game techs.

I've been thinking:

People complain about the luxury resources' yield on the map, ie "Why does silver give only this amount of money, it should be n times more!!1", but the real point of luxury resources isn't the direct economic benefit of harvesting it, but trading it away. In my game I traded two luxury resources to Iroquois (wine and silver) and received 20 gold per turn, ie 10 gold per luxury resource. That's a lot from a single hex. :)

This was possible in Civ 4 as well, but now the AI actually has some money to spend on trading resources. Earlier all the gold went to science, but now it racks up if you have a decent economy and there is a strategic aspect in deciding how to best use it. Also it lays some pressure on trading those six extra silvers away instead of dumping them in the land filling site.

But the wheat, fish and cattle resources could reasonably be boosted, since they're not tradeable.

It's always hard to tell with this stuff, because you can play two games and come out with wildly different opinions on the pacing of the game, due to my changes. That, and everyone has a preference for how the game plays out.

For example, production. To me, on an Epic or Marathon game, I would like to see most buildings taking between 10-20 turns max in a city with reasonable production capabilities to build. Units, I feel, in an average city, should take no more than 10 turns to make. Others may find that too fast, but I think with Civ5 having less to do during a turn, I want things to go a bit faster than they might have in Civ 4.

In regards to food, I wanted to buff it in Version 2, because it seems like once your cities hit size 10 or 11, you're looking at a huge amount (over a hundred) of turns before the city grows again. Anyone else see that as an issue?

So, perhaps the best method would be to keep the tile stats as they are, but increase research costs to compensate for the larger population?

I'm thinking the next version would be:

Increased gold from ocean/coast tiles, and luxury resources

Food tiles only slightly better than Vanilla (downgraded from Version 2 of the mod), but special food resources much better than vanilla.

Production yields remain the same.

25% increase in research times and wonder construction.

I've been playing Civ since Civ 1! I usually don't post on the forums but I wanted to say that this mod actually made me want to play Civ 5 a lot more. Made the game much more enjoyable because the AI really takes advantage of it.

I hope that when the SDK is release someone tweak's the AI a little bit more but keeps the changes this mod brings.

For example, production. To me, on an Epic or Marathon game, I would like to see most buildings taking between 10-20 turns max in a city with reasonable production capabilities to build. Units, I feel, in an average city, should take no more than 10 turns to make. Others may find that too fast, but I think with Civ5 having less to do during a turn, I want things to go a bit faster than they might have in Civ 4.
Sounds good. I think 10 (maybe a few turns more) is a good number for number of turns for constructing units.

In regards to food, I wanted to buff it in Version 2, because it seems like once your cities hit size 10 or 11, you're looking at a huge amount (over a hundred) of turns before the city grows again. Anyone else see that as an issue?
A small buff shouldn't hurt. Maybe, instead of buffing the tile, we could buff some of the food production buildings to grant more food or food multipliers, this would encourage future city growth (especially if granted technological bonuses).

So, perhaps the best method would be to keep the tile stats as they are, but increase research costs to compensate for the larger population?
Regardless, I think increasing research costs is wise.

Increased gold from ocean/coast tiles, and luxury resources
Good idea. As it is cities on oceans are just not worth as much as inland cities (most the time). They could use some gold bonuses to simulate fishing and coastal trade.

Food tiles only slightly better than Vanilla (downgraded from Version 2 of the mod), but special food resources much better than vanilla.
I'm unsure about this but it'd certainly be something worth experimenting with and testing.

Production yields remain the same.
Good.

25% increase in research times and wonder construction.
You may want to even experiment with 50% increase for research while wonders may not want to be increased much. We should determine how many turns an average city should spend making wonders and work off that (20-30 turns?); that could be our goal, IMO.

I applaud your pioneering spirit. You wanted to build a house and they didn't give you nails so instead you smashed so boards into pegs and built it anyway

Version 4 is up, for manual install only at this point. Hope to have a Mod version by tomorrow.

Description on page one, post one

Download on page one, second post.

Top Bottom