1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Increased Tile Yields Mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Huck Finn, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Yeah, if I can release something I feel will better not only my enjoyment of Civ 5, but other people's as well, its getting released in this format until they release the SDK.

And yeah, I wish they'd release the version you guys have as a Alpha on steam, even if it came with a "WARNING: SOFTWARE IS EXTRMELY BUGGY, WE ARE WORKING ON IT, YOU USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WE WILL NOT SUPPORT IT" tag.

2. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

I thought I read somewhere the tools should be released very soon, like within a week, but I could be wrong.

3. Quetz

Quetz The Tallest Lilliputian

I have to say, the effect his has on the AI is AMAZING. Getting my ass kicked royally on King now. Very interesting how much better it does with this (which, although not nearly a perfect solution, does help alleviate the producton problems somewhat)

4. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Hey, I didn't say you shouldn't do it. Just that it's not necessarily a good idea to overwrite core files. Put some heavy disclaimers on those types of mod. :p

Not instable at all (otherwise you wouldn't see mods from testers!). It's just getting some final tweaks. Won't be long till it's released.

C++ is different, won't come for a few months. Just like with Civ4.

No point in that when it's around a week to it's release, IMO. :p

5. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Warlord

After playing it awhile , I think it helps a lot too. The AI doesn't need to be adjusted or anything, it just is doing things faster, as are you, so it seems to level out.

In fact, I think perhaps I should give production tiles a slight bump up.

Another thing I've noticed it that... around size 10 or 11 your cities go stagnant or won't grow for some 300 turns. This seems off to me as well in terms of pacing.

I'm thinking of editing the food tiles to give slightly more food...or at least, giving the speical food resources a bigger yield, because right now they aren't dramatically better than just a plain old farm.

I'm trying to keep the tiles/improvement mix somewhat equal, so with those changes being made, I should probably also bump up the gold a trading post gives you, just a tad.

I don't want to make this into "cheat" mod, but it really seems like the more raw material you and the AI have, the better the game is at this point.

With less things to do during a turn, I just couldn't stand waiting 30 turns to make a trebuchet.

6. Valkrionn

As Kael said, it is likely better to modify costs rather than tile yields.

Depending on how they wrote settling algorithms and similar functions, you may inadvertently cause them to view what is comparatively still bad territory as good territory.

7. Tssha

Tssha Warlord

If I know Firaxis, they're working on their first patch already. They're probably planning to follow that up with a second patch to catch the stuff they missed the first time and the stuff they broke with the patch (hey, sometimes it happens!). With that kind of plan, the first patch takes priority over cleaning up their code. Given that they are planning so many changes over a short period of time, it would wreak havoc with mods that were instantly rendered inoperable by a new patch.

In addition, releasing the SDK involves effort, and they're going to put their effort to the most profitable endeavour they can. For now, that's supporting their new release and making sure the biggest complaints are addressed right away. When it cools down and patches are released quarterly instead of monthly, then they'll polish the code and release it. That's when mods will be most effective at extending the life of the game.

8. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Warlord

I would think this way scales better? I dunno. We shall see. I suppose halving the build costs would do more or less the same thing... I see someone else is doing that in another mod like mine. But the goal with the second version is to make special resources much more powerful than the puny bonuses they give in vanilla. I would like to see more options to "specialize" a city rather than just adjusting its focus. More powerful strategic and luxury resources will help that.

I posted a second version (Can download it from my second post), this increases food and gold yields to match the production increases, especially from special resources like wheat, cows, etc. Hill production also got a +1 bump.

I think happiness should get a bump too, conquering cities and turning them into even puppets creates major problems, what do you all think?

9. Valkrionn

If you mean SDK in the old, Civ4 meaning (C++ and the DLL), then yes.

However, SDK for Civ5 is more accurate, entailing all the tools used to create mods; Worldbuilder, Tuner, Modbuddy. They will be released before much longer (I think a week or two tops, but I also haven't seen anything from the devs so don't quote that, people! :p), but the C++ files will not come for some time, for the exact reasons you mentioned.

10. Tssha

Tssha Warlord

What can I say? I'm used to calling it that. :p

Gonna have to get used to calling it something else now. How about what I used to call it, the dll? :lol:

11. Valkrionn

Well, not really better so much as incredibly easier. :lol: Use whichever you like; At this point, I'm not sure there are any issues with it, just wouldn't do it that way myself.

Resources, though, would be interesting. :goodjob:

On happiness: I really don't think there's an issue there, just have to get used to it. My first game caused me some serious issues, but after that it got better as I learned to watch it. :lol:

Works for me, it's what I'm calling it. ;)

12. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Warlord

I didn't want to say it, but you got me, my way is a lot less work :lol:

13. Valkrionn

Not always a bad thing, that. ;)

14. Iceciro

I'm finding the same - the game functions MUCH better with the tile yields for resources increased. Just cutting the percentage down in gamespeed doesn't do it justice because it doesn't encourage you to go look for great city spots.

Happiness is almost bearable if you keep it close and don't annex whole empires.

What the game really needs is a workshop improvement. I think I'm going to cannibalize the Manufactory graphics for that tonight.

15. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Warlord

Steam just downloaded a 25 mb patch of some sort, of course they don't tell us what they changed/did. :(

Iceciro, the workshop would be nice ! (now if you can just do windmills, watermills, cottages, etc. :p)

I'm trying to find a sweet spot with the changes I made. Just played about 2 hours of a new game. Tech advancement seems a little too fast, but that I can live with for now.

The AI is doing A LOT more stuff, and even the city states are really churning with action. Geneva is close to my nation and I would definitely need to prepare for awhile to take them out, because they have about 6 units now on their border.

It needs work, but so far the game seems to play better with my V2 changes. Now special resources REALLY help, they give you a huge food bonus. I think that's something we all need to continue pursuing...making city location important again!

16. Iceciro

I dunno about cottages ala Civ IV, but getting similar graphics would be nice. The trade posts look silly when you have them all over the empire.

17. Valkrionn

I've missed workshops as well; Would reduce the impact hills have (Hills and Rivers are FAR more of a requirement than terrain!).

On trading posts.... Do not spam them. That is a mistake. Trust me on this. :lol: Your empire fares far, far better by spamming farms (and lumbermills in forests, for production!). You don't earn as much gold per population, but you have more population, leading to more science, more small amounts of commerce (rivers ftw), more production, and essentially just more everything. I've played games with both strategies. For a few weeks now. :p

18. James009

James009 Warlord

We don't need to wait until the Mod Tools are released.

• Go to "C:\Users\**\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS"
    • Make a folder called "Increased Tile Yield Mod"
    • Put all your customized assets in there (from the XML folder)
    • Create a text file, open it in notepad, paste this:
    Spoiler :
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Mod id="d3c55902-b663-44jf-9131-79c4422f46bj" version="1">
    <Properties>
    <Name>Increased Tile Yield Mod v2</Name>
    <Stability>Beta</Stability>
    <Description>Increased Tile Yield Mod</Description>
    <Authors>Huck Finn</Authors>
    <SpecialThanks>Firaxis Games</SpecialThanks>
    <Homepage></Homepage>
    <AffectsSavedGames>1</AffectsSavedGames>
    <MinCompatibleSaveVersion>0</MinCompatibleSaveVersion>
    <SupportsSinglePlayer>1</SupportsSinglePlayer>
    <SupportsMultiplayer>1</SupportsMultiplayer>
    <SupportsMac>1</SupportsMac>
    <ReloadLandmarkSystem>0</ReloadLandmarkSystem>
    <ReloadUnitSystem>0</ReloadUnitSystem>
    </Properties>
    <Dependencies />
    <References />
    <Blocks />
    <Files>
    <File md5="366D426A9E6C01A4D31EAEDA600B3AF5">XML/Misc/CIV5Routes.xml</File>
    <File md5="87A47D4AC8330A824A64B4374B18A936">XML/GameInfo/CIV5GameSpeeds.xml</File>
    </Files>
    <Actions>
    <OnModActivated>
    <File md5="366D426A9E6C01A4D31EAEDA600B3AF5">XML/Misc/CIV5Routes.xml</File>
    <File md5="87A47D4AC8330A824A64B4374B18A936">XML/GameInfo/CIV5GameSpeeds.xml</File>
    </OnModActivated>
    </Actions>
    </Mod>

You'd need to make it recognize the correct "<Files>" but it should be available inside the ingame mod browser. I'm honestly not entirely sure how all the <Files> work but we should be able to figure this out. You can't upload it yet but it'll be shareable (via download here) and won't break the default game.

Hope this works for you. I changed the GameInfos.XML and got it to work. Hopefully Mod Tools will be released soon.

19. Soduka

Soduka Warlord

by the power of greyskull!!!

20. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Warlord

I can't access my game computer right now (Someone is using it! :mad: )

Would somebody do me the huge favor of grabbing the vanilla Civ 5 XML files from

Assets\Gameplay\XML\Terrain

And posting them here? (Should be six files, one zip should do the trick) I'd like to provide the original files here as well, in case anyone screws up and deletes or misplaces the originals.

:goodjob: