1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IndieStone D.U.C.K.S mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by lemmy101, Oct 15, 2010.

1. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Another thing we're talking about doing, this would be quite a massive shift from the core Civ 5 gameplay so may do it in another mod, but to save on making new threads left and right I'll post it here.

Sprawling City Building Mod - Needs a better name

This system changes how cities work dramatically.

When you build a city, you're effectively just setting down a single town tile that's only a small part of your eventual city. You can draft workers from the population (up to a maximum of say 2/3) to work the lands around your city centre, as before.

The amount of buildings you can build in a city centre (the tile you built the city on) is cut down dramatically, with the ultimate aim that ALL traditional building / wonder construction will be removed from the game entirely.

Its replacement? Your workers can build buildings and wonders on the tiles surrounding the city just as they currently build improvements.

Improvements will be changed to have a radius effect (made visible in-game somehow) if worked by population, and the distance from the city centre that population can work is increased dramatically. Farms will provide food for a radius around the tile, barracks can build military units, wonders are built on the tile they appear on and may have an area affect etc.

Workers, when building an improvement, building or wonder, will build at a rate of the amount of production available in the yields surrounding the worker's construction site (worked or unworked, though perhaps worked tiles would provide a bonus since the workers would not need to obtain those materials themselves). Barracks and other production buildings will build at a rate based on the production in their vicinity also.

Buildings will get a severe penalty to production/effectiveness if they are not within the range of a free farm or other food source, or alternatively a trade route to get supplies from the nearest city.

This will change war dramatically, as the ability to pillage will make an attacking force all the more dangerous. Even wonders are not immune to pillaging, though pillaging will take sufficient time so as it can be stopped and reversed.

Walls will be redesigned to use the 'great wall' code to be created by workers (not sure of how this would work, but the hope is to allow players to create their own walls tile by tile) to give a huge defensive bonus to those behind it.

Air units would be built using an airport, sea units from a dock. Basically we're taking the cities out of the one tile and sprawling them over the landscape, giving the player infinitely more strategy in how their cities are built.

Another one for the DLL SDK I'm afraid. We'll probably co-develop this one separately (jumping between them as and when we get bored / frustrated with the other;)) but integrate religion etc into this version at a later date, tailored to this version of the game.

Thoughts / suggestions? :)

2. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Just a question. With the number of buildings in the game, won't there be an exentual problem of having more buildings than actual hexes?

3. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Yup. Improvements will be made more powerful, so one farm or one trading post will do a lot more than in the base game and therefore it will free up hexes for buildings, also consider if they have an additional city radius size... Either way half the point is that you would be having to pick and choose what to put in the tiles in your city radiuses since every building takes up a slot.

Also really, when it comes down to it, it's debatable whether it makes sense for EVERY building, that was just a blaze statement it could well be banks and markets and things may not be suited to this and can be built in-city.

We'll see how it goes though, a lot of design work to do to get it right. :)

4. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

suggestion: buildings could be upgradeable... in tiers...like:
    market upgrading to bank to stock exchange,
    monument to temple to cathedral,
    etc...

this way you can do with fewer tiles...

5. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Nice idea. :) we were also thinking of using the existing building system for some kind of 'extension' system. Since say a fortress would be actually a city with a fixed population and a different build list, you could build defensive buildings to add extra defences, or extensions to the armoury to allow for more advanced troops.

6. HedBanger

HedBanger Chieftain

Some very ambitious ideas here! This is definitely a mod i will be keeping my eye on in the future. I LOVE your ideas for a religion system. One of my main gripes about the religion system in Civ IV was the lack of differences between being a christian civ and a buddhist civ, etc. You've gotten me extremely excited about playing a more realistic Civ V now!

7. Faladh

Faladh Chieftain

Nice religion system, making a enterely new religion in this way ia very nice,expecially in in (real) game time! Congratz!

8. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Very nice. Though lacking the detail & sophistication of your Mod-it bears at least some similarity to what my own Civ4 mod will eventually look like. Namely I've tried to greatly expand the "Pagan" element of the early game, & have it as a real alternative if you're unlucky enough not to get one of the 7 main religions, whilst also using Polytheism as the primary way in which you can-eventually-found a religion. I also plan to expand the Civics system so you can have greater control over what defines your religion-in terms of its Central Dogma, its Secularism, its Strictness & its Tolerance. I definitely wish you the best of luck in this endeavor!

Aussie.

9. Whys

Whys Between the Lines

lemmy, you haven't had an idea yet that I haven't liked. The religion system is both genius and wit combined. And the new building system is exactly what I've been looking for since Civ4 modding first started. Please oh please, REAL WALLS that I can build plot by plot. The Great Wall of Warlords was a terribly deceptive trick when looking at the game box.

10. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Thanks :D Me and CaptainBinky went through about 5 different systems when we were coming up with the religion system, it started off as an idea for Civ 4 using a new civics screen but the core idea was always 'build your own religion'.

11. salaminizer

salaminizer Colorado Internacional

how about calling the city changes Urban Planning Revisited (UPR), or the Revisioned Urban Planning (RUP), or even Newly Envisioned Redesign of Features (NERF)? :p

looking forward to the religion stuff, I'm not really fond of the social policies :)

12. chrome-rome

chrome-rome King

Wow huge fan. Can't wait until this comes online

13. Horace

Horace Likes to ski

Think the religion idea sounds awesome. One question - how would replacing the piety branch with the religion affect the sp tree in culture victory

14. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

:D

The piety effects would be replicated in some form throughout the religion trees, so cultural victories will rely on religion at least in the early years, which feels quite a good way to go about it.

15. Horace

Horace Likes to ski

Ah so to win a culture victory (assuming piety was one of the policies you were going for) you would have to have proceeded a fair way down the religion tree. Makes sense really :)

I like the idea of negatives coming about as it gets out of hand, would be cool to see your civ collapse cos you messed up your religion

16. CaptainBinky

CaptainBinky Warlord

Yeah, pretty much. The fact that all the religious buildings you would need to pump out culture points would also be pumping out piety points would mean you'd be forced you down the religion trees until you had researched the Enlightenment. Which can all get out of hand if you're not careful, as you said. :)

17. chrome-rome

chrome-rome King

For the monotheism path, will it be unique to a particular god or would there be one path to take, regardless of which god you chose? For example, will the sun god have the same monotheism path as the god of the underworld?

18. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

yes. Otherwise the amount of monotheism trees would be huge. :D

though there may be specific doctrine that tie into the polytheism god choice.

19. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

20. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

In-game screenshot of the DUCKS religion mod!

(Click for full size.)
    Polytheism Tree

Other screenshots:

Since fonticons are currently uneditable we're using the city state icon for the piety icon.

The Piety system is in, as is the tree system (All doctrine are defined in XML so will be fully moddable) as is unlocking the new doctrine. We only have the polytheism tree in and working so far, and have only a few effects on the doctrine, but the core system is there and working 100%.