Info on Upcoming Patches from Jon Shafer

André Alfenaar;9760945 said:
I am really amazed by the players complaining that the game is not finished and should be released later. Why complain? Don't play Civ V. Just wait. That is what you want, right?

Meanwhile I wait for further improvements while playing Civ V. And I enjoy it. ;)

:agree:

Uh, yeah, that's why Blizzard has been making so many drastic balance changes.

You do realize that every Blizzard game has had 'drastic' balance changes constantly because their games actually have a level of competition that has elevated them to become a professional e-sport? They're balancing around intense top-end gameplay examination for 3 very different races. Civ 5 doesn't even have to handle half that pressure and it's having issues.

André Alfenaar;9760945 said:
I am really amazed by the players complaining that the game is not finished and should be released later. Why complain? Don't play Civ V. Just wait. That is what you want, right?

Meanwhile I wait for further improvements while playing Civ V. And I enjoy it. ;)

Yes, you are right, if i haven't "paid" already the game i could agree with you.....

You are enjoying so much winning on highets levels crushing the AI? I'm happy for you, but i don't think it's funny stoling candies from children....;)

You do realize that every Blizzard game has had 'drastic' balance changes constantly because their games actually have a level of competition that has elevated them to become a professional e-sport? They're balancing around intense top-end gameplay examination for 3 very different races. Civ 5 doesn't even have to handle half that pressure and it's having issues.

Blizzard could delay development as they want. They have "until it's done" philosophy, they don't afraid obsolete graphics (which their games usually have) and they have WoW, which produce enough money to feed all their developers and 10 Firaxises if they would need to.

Firaxis have nothing compared to it. They need to release their games on the set release date. I'm glad they have budget to make fixes and improvements and I'm happy to have my money in it. Many game developers are much worse in support.

...since the days of Super Mario Bros. for NES when you could rack up 1000 lives by bouncing on a single turtle.

Oh God! A tear just ran from my eye :) :old:

wow! Having played (and bought) all civ games since the first this is actually the first one im thinking of not buying (yes. i actually bought civ rev for my ds...) The more i read on these forums the more clear it becomes for me that this rush-released game is NOT worth the price they put on it. But these news from Jon sounds good and i wll follow closely the developent of this game and pray to all the high powers that one day this game will shine like it should. Though it feels a bit too much like and reminds me of the release of HOMM4... A game that is so poorly designed and rushed to the point where it can't ever be fixed. Just hope Im wrong....

Why would Jon Shafer post such important information on such an obscure little known website as http://www.quartertothree.com and not give us official update info at 2k or civfanatics website?

Good question indeed.

Considering that they are respectively the official forum the first and the greatest Civ community the second one... , well, this open the flank to speculate on this weird decision.

Money ?

Good question indeed.

Considering that they are respectively the official forum the first and the greatest Civ community the second one... , well, this open the flank to speculate on this weird decision.

Money ?

It's an Industry forum.

Because the guy who runs that site is the guy who wrote the review for 1up that everyone says is spot on.

You're kidding, right?

Would I want to go back to playing Civ IV without what Beyond the Sword adds? No. But should I have had to pay for the privilege of balancing a game that, by the very intent of this expansion, its developers clearly felt needed it? Again, no.

Great news: you don't have to buy the game again when it gets completed

Interesting scenario: Firaxis releases Civ5 and says "it's a beta. it will go gold within 6 months. you can upgrade the beta to the final version for free". Now, wouldn't people pay to play 6 months before the release? Almost everyone would. And wouldn't it be so much better to purchase the game within 6 months? What would be the advantage?

Pay for beta? Are you crazy?? And what if it is an awful game? Beyond repair even in six months?? The fanboys can't go nuts so far.... Excuse me but i will never pay a beta of a game that i don't know if will it go better in the end, only a total insane fool can do that....

I'll wait and see
is Jon watching this forum?? he definitely should accomodate some request here.. :groucho:

Excuse me for going off topic and not talking about Starcraft II here, but is no one else at least surprised that multiplayer hasn't been mentioned yet? We only have sim turns (which is rubbish for competitive playing) and there's zero mod support in multiplayer (where mods are going to be most needed to address balancing issues etc).

Do we know if Firaxis have said anything about fixing MP?

What do you mean by " spot on " ? Honest or paid ?

I am definitely not a mothertongue sorry

"Spot on" is American slang for "precisely accurate" or "correct." :)

Do we know if Firaxis have said anything about fixing MP?

Not that I've seen. I don't know if I saw all of Shafer's remarks in the Qt3 thread, though, so it's possible he mentioned it there.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a beta product and a finished product. Finished products still have bugs, you know, but the amount and the general quality level is a lot different. The level of problems in Civ 5 is well-beyond what you'd expect from a finished product.

I've been playing the game for many hours without bugs or technical gliches. It has been a lot of fun for me, so YES the game is finished product to me. It in no way feels like a "beta product", which would the feeling I get from playing Elemental.

I do look forward to seeing these upcoming patches, but that is only to make a good game even better.

What do you mean by " spot on " ? Honest or paid ?

I am definitely not a mothertongue sorry

As SuperJay said spot on means correct. He definitely wasn't paid because the review basically said that Civ 5 is a good game but nothing compared to Civ 4.

"Spot on" is American slang for "precisely accurate" or "correct." :)
American slang? Wow, I have only ever heard it used by British actors and the Brits in this forum (and those of us infected with it by them :lol:)

So I thought is was British slang ... if not, then I am serously out of touch? :lol:

Edit: from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot-on

"Spot-on is also British slang meaning "just so" or "exactly right".[1]"

Whew! I feel relieved ... :whew:

dV

He says they can't cheat and purchase Research Agreements, but half of the time a CPU Civ is offering me a research Agreement, their trade window clearly shows their Gold amount as being well below the cost of the Trade Agreement! :eek:

Top Bottom