1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Informal Survey On Design Curriculum

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Blue Monkey, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Yes I could certainly search through that & other threads at CFC but ...
    1. That would be a different research methodology.
    2. Part of the design involves AAA ethical standards & practicing supervisory approval before beginning the research.
    3. One phase of that was getting permission from the CFC admins, including providing the opportunity for them to contact my supervising professor -then showing that permission in writing to my professor.
    4. After all that, by posting here people have seen the announcement either here or in the stickied thread - granting permission for their responses to be used.
    In other words, for this particular study, I can't look elsewhere or solicit responses from outside the approved forums.

2. Blue Monkey

Thank you everyone who participated in my first attempt at a qualitative/quantitative survey. There were not enough responses to use for statistical analysis. On the other hand, much of what was posted here (both individually and collectively) was extremely useful in the weekly discussions with my supervising professor. I owe a special debt of gratitude to everyone who participated in the avatar / "identity tourism" discussion in the Meet The Modders thread. It illuminated many of the complex issues involving gender in games and the "transferability" of experience from games to RL. Both are questions at the heart of current anthropological research into virtual worlds.

3. Blue Monkey

My fieldwork is moving into a new phase. I am spending time in Everquest Landmark.

As part of access to the beta I have 1 or 2 keys to pass on to others. In exchange for committing a few hours a week over the next few months to messing around in a sandbox game and sharing your experience with me you get permanent access to a beta mmo focused on building rather than combat. You wouldn't be restricted to certain hours or days - play on your own as well as arranging time to meet up. You don't need previous experience with either MMOs or 3D modelling to help me out. I'm just looking for someone who's put some effort into thinking about creating game worlds - whatever that means to you - then trying to give those ideas some reality.

If anyone here is interested contact me by PM so we can discuss the possibilities.

4. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

Does Landmark still have an active player base? I thought the devs had abandoned it after funding the engine for the next game.

5. Blue Monkey

Depends what you mean by active. There's a lot of open space, but I also see a lot of claims & claims disappear if you don't pay a small maintenance fee with in-game currency log in often enough. There are multiple servers & you can hop servers freely, so without checking every server I couldn't tell you how it feels overall. The official forums are certainly active. AFAIK the plan is to run Landmark as a parallel but separate game from Next when they go fully public.

Edit: Checking the Player Creation & Events subforum might give you a start to deciding if it meets your definition of active. Most recent Hotfix notes thread I see is Dec 12th, so I'd say the devs are active as well.

Edit: Screenshot of the map to the island where my claim is currently. Every flag is an active claim. Meaning the player has logged on some time in about the last week (7-9 days depending on what level founder's pack you have). They tend to be custered around portals (travel system). So on 1 island of one server (out of about six servers) I'd estimate there are as many active builders as there are C3 C&C modders. On just one island.

Dunno how else to judge if it's active.

6. Karl der Grosse

Karl der Grosse Chieftain

[roger that]

7. Blue Monkey

This is not a thread to discuss the merits of any particular game or company. It is strictly about my research related to creation & customization. This thread was started with permission from admin level staff on the understanding that it would be held to a high standard viz OT posts.

8. Gojira54

Gojira54 The folly of Man

I am VERY interested, but my free time has evaporated like a small SoCal lake, before these rains (and quakes) we are having... How long will this offer run?

9. Blue Monkey

:lol: For me they've been very "meh" but then ... I remember using seismic ripples moving through the desert to "jump rope". :old: True, if unbelievable.

It's more a matter of who than when. Sending you a PM.