Installing and using the SDK

I have a problem with codeblocks, when I get to CvTextScreen.cpp I get an error that says it cannot find "CvTextMgr.h". I looked everywhere in my files, but that item doesn't exist. How do I proceed if it gives me errors every time?

I can confirm this issue. I've been using VC++ Express for some time now, and when compiling there, this error is not reported. I've just now tried to compile a 3.19 dll on CodeBlocks, where this error came up. So it's just a CodeBlocks issue. I guess the CvTextScreen.cpp file became redundant in BtS 3.19, as I've never seen this error when compiling 3.17 dll's in CodeBlocks.

By the way, I've also noticed that CodeBlocks is much faster at compiling. CB takes around 8 min. 30 seconds, while VC++ is more like double that. Why is there such a big difference?

I can confirm this issue. I've been using VC++ Express for some time now, and when compiling there, this error is not reported. I've just now tried to compile a 3.19 dll on CodeBlocks, where this error came up. So it's just a CodeBlocks issue. I guess the CvTextScreen.cpp file became redundant in BtS 3.19, as I've never seen this error when compiling 3.17 dll's in CodeBlocks.

By the way, I've also noticed that CodeBlocks is much faster at compiling. CB takes around 8 min. 30 seconds, while VC++ is more like double that. Why is there such a big difference?

I think CvTextScreen.cpp is not used (anymore).

i have an issue when compiling. It's looking for a file named windows.h
someone told me the error comes from the step 6 so here are screens :

the directories appearing are the existing directories, i 've already checked

hoping someone can help ...

I have a strange problem. I'm making a DLL for the MechaMod here and although it got through all the files, it throws up this error after its done:

Another error -- I'm sure that's what you want to hear! ;)

Everything works until I try to compile, and I get this message:
=== CvGameCoreDLL, Final Release Win32 ===
fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'boost_python-vc71-mt-1_32.lib'
=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===

I've uninstalled codeblocks, reinstalled, triple-checked that I followed the directions... I even followed the directions for how to get everything to work on Windows Vista, with one exception. The directions:
2) remove CvGameCoreLL_DEBUG.pdb from linker:
- under: Projects --> Build options...
- in the tab for: Final Release Win 32 --> Linker Settings --> Other Linker Options
- remove: /pdb:Final Debug Win32\CvGameCoreDLL_DEBUG.pdb

Maybe it's because I have a new version of Codeblocks, but I don't have an "Other Linker Options" in my Linker Settings, and I certainly don't see any reference to CvGameCoreDLL_DEBUG.pdb, so I cannot remove it.

In reference to my error message, though... I've looked through the lib folders in Microsoft SDKs and C++, and I cannot find a 'boost_python-vc71-mt-1_32.lib' file.
Any advice? Am I missing something / is the file supposed to be there?

Many thanks.

I get this bug :(

Code:
Linking dynamic library: ..\Beyond the Sword\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'Final Release Win32\CvGameCoreDLL.res'
Process terminated with status 1181 (15 minutes, 44 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

What's wrong?

Code:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Include\specstrings.h|11|fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sal.h': No such file or directory|

I get that when I try to compile in Windows 7, with the SDK for windows7 as the example describes.

Tried to use VS2008 C++ Express but I couldn't find where to change the path to the \Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\ which isn't "Program Files" but "Program Files (x86)". But I'd prefer if I could get Code::Blocks working :/

EDIT:
Ok, I just copied the Visual c++ toolkit to Program Files instead and it seems to work now. :p

EDIT2:
Though it won't allow me to compile individual files o.O
It compiles them fine during build though, weird...

Stinks to be the first person in a month to have a problem on here, lol. So I've been doing my best to follow all the directions in the first post, including deleting the rc file, and I still can't get Code::Blocks to compile even the basic unchanged BtS dll. I'm running in patch 3.19...and I really don't know much about C++. Any suggestions?

Alright then, here's the whole Build Log after trying and failing to compile the unchanged BtS dll:

Spoiler :

-------------- Build: Final Release Win32 in CvGameCoreDLL ---------------

CvArea.cpp
CvArtFileMgr.cpp
CvCity.cpp
CvCityAI.cpp
CvDLLButtonPopup.cpp
CvDLLEntity.cpp
CvDLLPython.cpp
CvDLLWidgetData.cpp
CvDeal.cpp
CvDiploParameters.cpp
CvDllPythonEvents.cpp
CvDllTranslator.cpp
CvEventReporter.cpp
CvFractal.cpp
CvGame.cpp
CvGameAI.cpp
CvGameCoreDLL.cpp
WARNING: Can't read file's timestamp: C:\Documents and Settings\Justin\Desktop\CvGameCoreDLL\CvGameCoreDLL.rc
CvGameCoreUtils.cpp
CvGameInterface.cpp
CvGameTextMgr.cpp
CvGlobals.cpp
CvHallOfFameInfo.cpp
CvInfoWater.cpp
CvInfos.cpp
CvInitCore.cpp
CvMap.cpp
CvMapGenerator.cpp
CvMessageControl.cpp
CvMessageData.cpp
CvPlayer.cpp
CvPlayerAI.cpp
CvPlot.cpp
CvPlotGroup.cpp
CvPopupInfo.cpp
CvPopupReturn.cpp
CvRandom.cpp
CvReplayInfo.cpp
CvReplayMessage.cpp
CvSelectionGroup.cpp
CvSelectionGroupAI.cpp
CvStatistics.cpp
CvStructs.cpp
CvTalkingHeadMessage.cpp
CvTeam.cpp
CvTeamAI.cpp
CvUnit.cpp
CvUnitAI.cpp
CvXMLLoadUtility.cpp
CvXMLLoadUtilityGet.cpp
CvXMLLoadUtilityInit.cpp
CvXMLLoadUtilitySet.cpp
CyArea.cpp
CyAreaInterface.cpp
CyArgsList.cpp
CyArtFileMgr.cpp
CyArtFileMgrInterface.cpp
CyCity.cpp
CyCityInterface1.cpp
CyDeal.cpp
CyEnumsInterface.cpp
CyGame.cpp
CyGameCoreUtils.cpp
CyGameCoreUtilsInterface.cpp
CyGameInterface.cpp
CyGameTextMgr.cpp
CyGameTextMgrInterface.cpp
CyGlobalContext.cpp
CyGlobalContextInterface1.cpp
CyGlobalContextInterface2.cpp
CyGlobalContextInterface3.cpp
CyGlobalContextInterface4.cpp
CyHallOfFameInfo.cpp
CyHallOfFameInterface.cpp
CyInfoInterface1.cpp
CyInfoInterface2.cpp
CyInfoInterface3.cpp
CyMap.cpp
CyMapGenerator.cpp
CyMapGeneratorInterface.cpp
CyMapInterface.cpp
CyMessageControl.cpp
CyMessageControlInterface.cpp
CyPlayer.cpp
CyPlayerInterface1.cpp
CyPlayerInterface2.cpp
CyPlot.cpp
CyPlotInterface1.cpp
CyRandomInterface.cpp
CyReplayInfo.cpp
CySelectionGroup.cpp
CySelectionGroupInterface.cpp
CyStructsInterface1.cpp
CyTeam.cpp
CyTeamInterface.cpp
CyUnit.cpp
CyUnitInterface1.cpp
FAssert.cpp
FDialogTemplate.cpp
_precompile.cpp
Linking dynamic library: ..\Beyond the Sword\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'Final Release Win32\CvGameCoreDLL.res'
Process terminated with status 1181 (30 minutes, 21 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings

And here's what's under Build Messages:

Spoiler :
||=== CvGameCoreDLL, Final Release Win32 ===|
LINK||fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'Final Release Win32\CvGameCoreDLL.res'|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===|

Sounds like it wants the .rc file? And what's with the .res file? Thanks in advance!

1) remove CvGameCoreDLL.rc from the project
- in the Projects workspace tab go to the directory (Resources) and right click on the CvGameCoreDLL.rc file. Select "Remove from project"

Deleting the file doesn't matter, you have to make the project stop looking for it.

Ahhhhh, sounds good! Thanks a ton, I'll try that and hope it works

EDIT: Woot! Worked like a charm, thanks. Can't believe I missed that

I have Visual Studio 2005, how do I compile the DLL from it?

Top Bottom