Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

If it is that complicated, then there is a DLL involved. If there is a DLL involved, it is not Mac compatible.

The mods available for the Macintosh version are fairly trivial. I have experimented with, I think, three of them. Just not worth the hassle IMHO.
So what are you saying?
Any DLL mod will not work on a mac OR mods and mac in general are hit or miss and a pain in the ass?

Macs don't run DLLs. A mod that requires a DLL won't work on a Mac (unless you are running a Windows virtual machine on the Mac, or running Windows on a Bootcamp partition on your Mac, or in some other way actually running Windows on your Mac, ion which case you aren't playing the Mac version of the game -- you're playing the Windows version).

So, after running this, and watching a ton of output scroll by … I have a ‘Mods’ button in my interface, but it does nothing when clicked.

Every other aspect of the game functions the same; there's just a no-op ‘Mods’ button on the main menu.

Is there anyway, prior to having a mod in use, I can get a hint on if it will work on the mac or not?
Is there something I can see or look up, because right now it seems like enne meannne minne moe.

I'm unaware of anything other than a custom DLL that will stop a mod running on the Mac version. List the mods you have failed to run on your Mac, and the symptoms you see when they fail, and I'll try some of them myself.

I have only dabbled a bit with mods, but I got the ones I was looking for to work. I used a few from WHoward's Pick'N'Mix Mods. That resource makes it clear which are using a DLL or not. It seems to me that, absent a DLL, the mods are rather limited in scope.
Is there anyway, prior to having a mod in use, I can get a hint on if it will work on the mac or not?
I would think guess that if you use the MODS button from the menu (which is what I tried first) then you will only get Mac compatible mods. But I was not able to find the mods I was looking for through the Steam interface. I was able to find them elsewhere, and I was able to follow AlanH’s directions at the top of this thread.
Is there something I can see or look up, because right now it seems like enne meannne minne moe.
Are you reading the full description of the mod before you download? The description should mention the files that are part of the mod. If there is a DLL file, the mod is not Macintosh compatible. It is pretty straightforward.

I fallowed the instructions, but now I cant click on anything in the main menu. Im running the Appstore version some body please help me!

Hi. You've probably corrupted the main menu.lua file. Did you use Textedit to change it? If so you should use TextWrangler. Textedit changes a double hyphen into a single long hyphen, which is not a valid ascii character. There are posts about this in the thread.

I can't seem to find com.aspyr.civ5campaign folder in my Container folder. I did try creating one manually, including the sub folders exactly as in your guide, that didn't help either (com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS).

I am using a torrented version of the game, is that what is making difference? It was a dmg file, I dragged the content to app folder and have ran and played the game for few hours.

Enabled mod from uml edit and it's visible and clickable in game and can also see the DLC mods. But just not the folder is visible

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 18.45.25.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 18.45.25.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 199
If you have the Campaign Edition, and it didn't come from the Apple App Store then it is not a legal copy, and will probably not work.

Please note that this site has zero tolerance for pirated software, and you will need to buy a legal copy if you want support here.

Ive changed the code in the main menu game file and the mods button appeared, but the game switched to a touchscreen mode, so I can't do anything. help?

Hi. You probably used TextEdit to modify the code. That changes two hyphens to a single special long hyphen and the script fails. Try copy/pasting two hyphens from somewhere else in the file. Or use TextWrangler (free from BBEdit)

I am successfully running a MOD on the Civilization V:Campaign Edition.

It was purchased on the Apple store and download yesterday. Get Info states the Civ version as 1.3.9.

I apologize in advance for how elementary this may be, I just have no experience with MODS and I want to be cautious about messing with my Macbook or beloved Civ 5. I have Civ 5 campaign edition with the BNW DLC. I just want to add mods to get giant earth and more civs. I've tried following the steps but as soon as it gets to talks about scripts I just get lost. I've located the MODs folder, and even naively tried just dragged a mod into there hoping it would work... Obviously no dice. I am not sure if the original steps are outdated, it is when I get to step three that I get stuck where I have to modify civ5 software. I have the file located but I when I right click it I cannot get show package contents. So I can't move on from there. Can someone please help me out?

EDIT: I thoguht I should add that I bought it from the App store

I have Civ 5 campaign edition with the BNW DLC.
They gave that edition the special name to emphasize that it does not support Mods (or multiplayer), it is not clear to me that anyone has gotten Mods to work with the Campaign Edition.

EDIT: I see that cduston above says he did it. With the Steam version, I did not have to run any scripts. I do have to use the MODS menu, every time, so I am not at all confident that the Campaign Edition is compatible with MODS of any sort. I want to suggest that you try something very simple at first.
I thought I should add that I bought it from the App store
That is the only way to get it.

I'll check it out again later today. As far as I recall you can get mods to work on the App Store Campaign edition, but I can't recall the details now. If the Mods menu option is not visible then you will have to enable it by editing the mainmenu.lua script. That is inside the main Campaign Edition application's package contents. Mods have to go in the right place, and need to be extracted before installation.

You need to manually edit the LUA to make the "mods" option in the menu visible in the App store campaign edition. There are instructions here on Civ Fanatics, but I don't remember exactly where.

The problem is that at least 1/2 the mods out there aren't Mac compatible b/c of the DLL issues discussed at length elsewhere.

I've checked it out now. Mods work OK here. The instructions in the first post are still correct, but make sure you pick out the parts that are for the Campaign edition.

You do have to edit the script to display the Mods menu.

Top Bottom