1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing under Windows 7

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by ainwood, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    This error is usually (often? always?) generated if someone tries to use an earlier version of the Editor (3 versions were released, one for each successive version of Civ3*) to load a ruleset file-type generated by a later version (there are 3 ruleset-formats, .bic, .bix and .biq: again, one for each successive version of the game/ Editor).

The names and default-locations of 3 Civ3 Editor .exe files are (from memory):

.../[Civilization III]/Civilization3Edit.exe => opens and saves only the .bic format (for use with 'vanilla' Civ3 v.1.29)
    .../[Civilization III]/Civ3PTW/Civilization3XEdit.exe => can open .bic and .bix formats, but saves only in the .bix format (for use with PTW v.1.27)
    .../[Civilization III]/Conquests/Civ3ConqestsEdit.exe => can open .bic, .bix, and .biq formats, but saves only in the .biq format (for use with Conquests/Complete v.1.22)

(The GamersGate and GOG version supply all 3 Editor-versions — I don't know about the Steam version.)

So my question would be, are you sure you were using the right Editor to re-open your .biq file?

Spoiler * :
    Just to add another wrinkle, there were 2 versions of the Conquests Editor (v.1.00, and v.1.03); the latter was released with the final patch of the conquests.exe (v.1.22) — but managed to break the 'Scientific Leaders' option :rolleyes:

Although .biq files generated in the v.1.00 Conquests-Editor should be forwards-compatible with v.1.03, I wouldn't swear that that was the case. So if your mod was an old file, that might also be a possible cause of this error-message/problem.

2. Bungus

Bungus Archont of Cootertown

Oh sorry, I think I may have said civ3edit when I meant civ3conquests edit.

I did get the steam version but I was using on my windows 7 desktop was cd. Didn't catch whether the conquests editor was 1.00 or 1.03. The biq file was just made this a week ago, but, I did use maptweaker to add rules to the biq from a probably 2005 file.

And yet Ive open, saved, and been working with the file for the past week and this is the first issue.

3. Bungus

Bungus Archont of Cootertown