1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Screenshots

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by kill fire, Nov 10, 2006.

1. r16

r16 not deity

sorry , ı do alright at Monarch .

2. Kirejara

Kirejara King

This is an interesting constellation:

I do not know how Abu Bakr and Smoke Jaguar managed to create that military alliance against Hatshesput. :confused:

EDIT: Sorry, it is somewhat onclear on the picture: Arabia and Maya are also at war at each other (no picture because I have allready overwritten the savegame.

But lets have a look on Hatshesput´s masterly planned invasion of Arabia.

3. Buttercup

Buttercup King

AI cheating is relentless - it's called 'Programmed Irritation'. Civ III on the harder levels is simply an experiment in cheat versus counter cheat. Playing on the mid-range levels I limit myself to basic cheats which can easily be overcome by laughing one's a$$ off.

I have a screen-shot on my laptop I was going to post tonight but I can't be bothered to take it off my lappy and put in my desktop. It's a screenshot of a Veteran Celtic Swordsman that's just been red-lined from attacking a Barbarian. But then the Barbarian was ON A HILL LOooooool.

What made me think of that screeny was a game today where I sent a Veteran Warrior to take out the last remaining Barbarian (on basic flatland no river) from a group of three that popped when my Capitol City naturally expanded after the first ten turns. My Warrior died as if it was attacking a Pikeman on a Mountain. I laughed (as I had 5 rounds of a weakened economy while I grew another warrior to keep the town content). So anyway, I sent out the next Warrior (Regular) when it was ready. Barbarian wont be so 'lucky' this time! Wrong. My 2nd Warrior died as well (more rounds of weakened economy...).

Not to mention not being able to move my worker north of my City for 10 turns...

And another thing from today - Archipelago my A$$ - it dumps four civs on one big island then, on the other side of the globe, it has two big islands next to each other with two civs on each. I was gonna take a screeny of that as well and then ask you all to guess whether it was a 'Continents' game or an 'Archipelago' game. Apart from one half decent sized island (with no luxs and no iron) the rest of the planet was essentially water LOL. And what's the point in Archipelagos in Civ III anyway, the Corruption makes them 100 turn dead duck waste-pools even if you do put the effort in to grab a couple of islands.

And a final amusing gripe about Civ III. I was playing a Normal sized map (7 opponents) and I had the entire world (except for the middle of the deep seas) entirely mapped out before I'd even discovered Astronomy. The entire world then mapped pretty much as soon as Navigation was learned. I may have just been a very bad Civ II player, but the Apollo Great Wonder which gives a full view of the world was always a treat in Civ II, the same Modern Age 'bonus' for researching Satellites counts as possibly the most laughable 'bonus' in Civ III. :lol:

I felt like doing a screeny of that as well, just before I learned Astronomy :D

4. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

:sleep: I do believe that combat odds are the most misunderstood part of this game.

5. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

One word, man. Mods.

6. r16

r16 not deity

the reason for the demise of the Orcs ? Not extermination by humans but laziness !

the image is a combination of a few screenshoots ı had taken to get the whole of the island . ı am sort of obsessed with the LotM scenario where ı always play Isengard
    and this the land of Angmarians after ı killed them . About 400 turns into the game they have almost completely mined their
    territory with a few exceptions and those farms around the capital Carn Dum . This is an average archipelago map with
    60% oceans , theirs is a large island between two of the three continents which can be seen in the margins . Zenlyar at the
    bottom left , with my dragon in it , was the last city they founded . So , what is the deal ?

no roads . They had the tech -and ı checked the biq. to see whether ı had accidentally deleted the capability
    for Orc worker . Their cities never grew large enough to require a luxury in maintaining order , their unit lines do
    not need the horse near the capital , nor there was yet a need for the timber in that forest to the West . Not even
    a necessity to have a road network to invade people or repel invaders too . Even the AI knows AI sucks in attacks
    across the sea .

a further oddity about this game that ı can only talk about and not show anything is that ı think ı had two military
    leaders at the same . ı had one but was above the city limit so ı had to capture something like 4 cities to get another
    army . An AI stack assaulted the city where this leader was fortified , am positive when the city fell ı saw two
    generals killed -with catapults destroyed between them- though it is probably a mistake on my part because no
    naming tab came up to mark the victorious unit . Assuming some freak occurance that made a second commander
    available , the unit responsible would still be named ?

Attached Files:

7. ahman

ahman Warlord

Nice Sid start. My own island with iron, horses, 4 luxuries and some bonus resources (the mined tiles are bonus grassland). Seed: 369553088, Tiny, No Barbarians, Archipelago 80%, Normal, Cool, 3 Billion, Greece vs Inca, Netherlands and Arabia, Least Aggressive.

8. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

a very nice start indeed. but why do you found the outlying towns first? Sparta is logical, but wouldn´t 1S2SW been better as a 3rd town, and then Corinth, and only after that Thermophylae. and only then maybe where you are settling now, or even 2N of the capital instead?
    this way you ran you settlers a long way without roads, and they have not enough workers to get them productive.
    t_x

9. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

Whoa, man. Way too much strategy for my poor Warlord mind.

10. ahman

ahman Warlord

Thanks for a great tip. I got caught up trying to fill the Island before the evil doers got Map Making, when I should have built from the inside out instead.

11. r16

r16 not deity

as mentioned a few times before ı can develop obsessions for particular maps . This one here attempts to do good where the Angmar have failed , ı have worked up my way from the bottom of the map and invaded land where ı would have started as Isengard . Of course the AI doesn't place the cities where ı would have , so ı get a settler and abandon the city . The guy with a red line pointing at him is such a settler and the red coloured Spearmen are barbarians who beamed in the spot of the city abandoned just last turn .

Attached Files:

12. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Hi,

I think I have got enough workers at the moment. :D

I have given the Vikings Mammoth Riders (2/1/2 for 40 shields) with the ability to enslave enemies. It seems that they are worth the higher price compared to the otherwise equal Horsemen. :king:

Oh and the KI is not building them, because they are more expensive then horsemen...

13. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

There is no such thing as enough workers.

14. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

Not nearly enough. You have a lot of jungle to clear and are getting close to Steam Power and railroads. MOAR!

15. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Ok, I am working on it.

As soon as my prebuild Leonardos Workshop is ready, I will upgrade my archers to berserks and create a bridgehead at Maya Land (blue).

I think they will provide some more workers. :D

16. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

:yup:

17. Kirejara

Kirejara King

You have to admit, that the KI is strictly setting its priorities. :rolleyes:

Why defend the last mayan city with two spearman, then you can make a run for an enemy worker?

And yes, the big stack of Knights and Templar Knights on the mountain are mine and I have not made my move at that time. :trouble:

18. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

:D AI in a nutshell!

19. Theov

Theov Deity

*checks the comment and agrees*
    *sees the screenshot and still agrees*

20. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

To be fair, he was gonna die anyway. Why not cause you mild inconvenience on the way down?