Interesting Screenshots

Greetings, Ruskiy29. I downloaded all of the files, and will take a look at the SAV files in Quintillus editor, as well as the game.

Ruskiy29, welcome at CFC. :band:[party]

One explanation for the "bomber in the sea" could be, that the bomber was modded and it was forgotten to set the immobile flag to the bomber. In that case the bomber could be rebased by the normal rebase command, but also could be normally drawn over the map without recognizing it (especially when the movement of the bombers was done hastily).

Hmm, I might play around with that a bit for aircraft, and see what happens. It would be nice to base them somewhere besides cities and airbases, as airbases do cost a worker to build. Also, that would be fun to use with seaplanes.

Hmm, I might play around with that a bit for aircraft, and see what happens. It would be nice to base them somewhere besides cities and airbases, as airbases do cost a worker to build. Also, that would be fun to use with seaplanes.

timerover51, these tests all were done many years ago. When a landunit moves to a tile containing a mobile airunit, that airunit is always eliminated without any combat. Even the HN/Zero-defense setting for mobile airunits has its backsides (not destructable in normal combat).

Haha. Nice conflation of drawbacks and downsides. I'm not nitpicking, I do this quite a lot myself, but with this one you've managed to find one that's genuinely funny. Backside=ass :lol:
Don't forget that Civinator's mother language is German. So for a non-native speaker, that's quite some original handling of the English language, isn't it...? ;)

Haha. Nice conflation of drawbacks and downsides. I'm not nitpicking, I do this quite a lot myself, but with this one you've managed to find one that's genuinely funny. Backside=ass :lol:

So normally I don´t reply any longer to posts of Buttercup, but I think this post deserves an answer.

Even in the German language the word "Kehrseite" can have such a meaning, but it also can have the meaning of "the other side of a medal". From the context in a sentence it´s easy for every participant of a discussion in the German language to recognize the meaning of that word in that sentence. When looking in my dictionary, even in the English language the word backside has the meaning "Hinterseite, Rückseite" and in a low level of the language the meaning "Hintern" (see the screenshot attached).

If somebody isn´t able to recognize the meaning of the word in the context of the sentence, this is not my problem. It´s sad enough, that in a thread about screenshots of Civ 3, I have to add a screenshot about a dictionary. :sad:

Attachments

• Dictionary.jpg
    Dictionary.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
I thought this was a very interesting occurrence in a multiplayer game: https://gyazo.com/85b3d1b82352d3ffc94d257da7d79276

GIF available here: https://gyazo.com/709dba14ed3a4be7a1b2b57e6dd11a1a

I was coming south to get in contact with my teammate and we happened to move at the same time to the same tile and we clashed. It is the QC scenario with the Civ3 League steam group, which has players leftover from the CivPlayers ladder.

I have been lately recording my games and uploading to youtube, which is how I was able to go back and take this.

Last edited:
This is a little difficult to show with a picture.

Japan started a war with Carthago over the city of Leptis Minor.

So they dropped of two Cuirassiers from a transport ship together with a defending Guerilla and Police Officer. Both Cuirassiers attacked and became redlined. So they retreated to Guntur, where also their transport ship had returned.

Since retreat does not fit into the japanese honor code, they promptly loaded the redlined Cuirassiers back into the ship and returned their landing point in the very same turn.

In the next turn the still redlined Cuirassiers run again to Guntur and are again returned to Leptis Minor via ship.

So far the poor guys have made five or six loops without a chance to heal. :eek:

While the Guerilla is dutyful waiting for the return of the Cuirassiers, the Police Officer has gone pillaging.

At the same time both airforces bomb the heck out of each other, but either they have not sent in Fighters (A6M Rei-Sen vs. Republic P-35) into the combat area or they are destroyed before they could fly air superiority. I see only light bombers on both side (Aichi D3A vs. TBD Devastator).

This is a little difficult to show with a picture.

Japan started a war with Carthago over the city of Leptis Minor.

So they dropped of two Cuirassier from a transport ship together with a defending Guerilla and Police Officer. Both Cuirassiers attacked and became redlined. So they retreated to Guntur, where also their transport ship had returned.

Since retreat does not fit into the japanese honor code, they promptly loaded the redlined Cuirassiers back into the ship and returned them to the Guerilla.

In the next turn the still redlined Cuirassiers run again to Guntur and are again returned to Leptis Minor via ship.

While the Guerilla is dutyful waiting for the return of the Cuirassiers, the Police Officer has gone pillaging.

So far the poor guys have made five or six loops without a chance to heal. :eek:

At the same time both airforces bomb the heck out of each other, but either they have not sent in Fighters (A6M Rei-Sen vs. Republic P-35) into the combat area or they are destroyed before they could fly air superiority. I see only light bombers on both side (Aichi D3A vs. TBD Devastator).

Yeah Ive seen that happen before.

Finally almost cracked it, and got 50cpt by 250AD :lol:

250ADper3a.png

3 cows and a river plus hills/mountains and a good number of bonus grassland making for 12 all productive tiles. However, as is often the case with high cow starts, the island was not my own and I had to waste a lot of tech turns paying for military to defend against a repeat offender to the south who declared on me while in a rights of passage agreement twice.

250ADper3b.png

And, as I suspected, that little bit extra tipped the balance into a Hall of Fame score. It's 2 turns worse than my current entry so I wont submit it as that would be a bit cruel to the number 10 place for what is, essentially, no great improvement on what I've already submitted. Interesting to note here, however, in this game I only had 1 Scientific Great Leader the entire game, even though I was playing a Scientific civ and got to pretty much all my techs first. In the above 2 failed attempts (I say failed, they were only about 10-15 turns slower, lol) I had 3 or 4 SGLs per game. I can only imagine how this game might have been improved by one or two more... ;) I also failed to get any Military Leaders, even though I had two quite long pitched battles with the southerners where I had Elites defending and attacking with great regularity. I can only imagine how the score might have been improved had I also got the Heroic Epic (and been lucky enough to spawn next to Ivory instead of... no luxuries). No Resources here until Rubber either, I had to settle on the southerner's borders to even get coal.

250ADper3c.png

It was a Huge Regent for anyone wanting that info. Archipelago, 80% water, 11 opponents all random, sedentary barbarians, AI least aggressive, temperate, warm, 4 billion years.

I knew tipping that 49 would do the trick :goodjob:

I've seen some bad start locations in my time, but this one might just be the worst I've ever seen:

A mostly mountainous island. If not for the Sugar, there would be exactly one tile on the island making 2 food, a grassland that's currently under The Hague. Amsterdam would be stuck at size 3 pre-Map Making if the Dutch weren't Agricultural, and even then it could only get to size 4 without a Harbor (and I think only Size 7 or 8 with one, working the 5 coastal tiles in its BFC).

They don't even have any Iron or Saltpeter in all those Mountains!

Oh dear oh dear, that is a really bad start isn't it, those poor, poor Dutch there, lol. I must admit, I've seen some civs start on stinkers before (myself included), but never one quite that bad. It reminds me of the starts I have playing a Seafaring civ with the aim of munching up any nearby empty islands, only for there to only be one nearby empty island... and it's all mountains, every single square :lol:

But it isn't an attachment, it's an imgur link in the IMG tags.

Just why?

I have ordered my workers to build a railroad from Samara to Babylon. Once they finished that, I ordered them to continue the railroad to Sinuessa.

But why do three of the workers choose a different route than the others, despite identical orders?:wallbash:

Also highly irritating is, that non of the other civs have expanded beyond their starting island despite having all required techs (Astronomy, Navigation and Magnetism) and lots of settlers.

The only exceptions are several attacks on my empire, I have not started a single war.

Just as sign how devoted they are in attacking me: I have 20 Transport ships "sponsored" alone by the egyptian navy via my privateers (I tried to avoid a war, by intercepting their invasion fleets with privateers and pirates). Overall I have over 40 of them (all brought to to Merchant Cruiser standard (Steel, 6/2/9), so I am able to use them as part of my combat fleet.

Ramses: "I must invade the stupid human empire!!!"

Last edited:
But why do three of the workers choose a different route than the others, despite identical orders?:wallbash:

These three workers belong to a different labour union. As a German civer you should know this, especially with railroads. :D

These three workers belong to a different labour union. As a German civer you should know this, especially with railroads. :D
I know, that it was an error to research Communism (and thereby labour unions).

Fortunately at least my model railroad is still in the age of the Bundesbahn, so no DB AG and therefor no multiple labour unions (and by far better looking paint jobs!)! :D

Top Bottom