Internet Cafes

Isn't the half the point of being on vacation to get away from the standard everyday part of life?

Unless it was a video of some movie or TV show I had no other way to see, when I went to science fiction conventions, the TV in the hotel room stayed off. I could watch TV any time. What I couldn't do just any time was visit with the people I only saw once or twice a year or attend the discussion panels and meet authors.

I definitely came of age while they were prominent, but never used one, and don’t think we ever had a local one. But I definitely hung out on Ventrilo or IRC with international peeps who were logging in from one, or played Dota with people who were.

They’re not quite the same in terms of connectivity, but Michigan universities weirdly were the first in the country to pioneer LAN gaming centers, and there are now many tied to EMU/WMU/CMU/MSU/UofM that are trying to recreate actually being in a room with people playing and not all isolated, and they seem kind of on an attempted comeback. My local university rents out its LAN/e-gaming center to those who want to use it. We also had a non-university gaming pc/LAN center in town in the late 2010s but covid killed it. A local head shop just last year also added on a gaming lounge where you can rent PCs to play with others or use the internet but I have not investigated.

there used to be "Atari saloons" in early 1980s . Went in a few times , learned anything that required reflexes was not my thing .

internet cafes started in about mid to late 1990s . Went into one for the first time in May 2001 or so . Games were unlikely to be my taste while the ones ı played at my brother's desktop would not be available . Elder actually checked the dates of 90th Anniversary Airshow of the now dead Turkish Airforce for me . Ukranian Flankers actually landing when ı was entering through the gates . The Phantom was not the 5000th built , MiG-29 could really operate on austere strips (with just one guy under the wing taking shelter from the sun) , the USAFE F-15E crew in the natural American smug . And yes , there were even UFO scares within the month .

started going to web cafes in about 2005 . A month before my firing , using 30 minutes of lunch break . Later on ı would be out to the city three days a week and used the web cafes for job searching and so on to . A rough calculation says it should be 1800 odd times since . An average of 3 hours then leading to 5500 hours .

last regular occurrance was in February this year . The cafe owner happy with the "operation" taking place . Because the earthquake and the mighty splendid actions of New Turkey would be superlatively perfect if some idiot called r16 did not catalogue them online . Actually had the hero inside the shop , too . Have been to a different cafe 2 or 3 times where ı just had to download a book . Civ III scenarios also possible only that way ...

using tablet at home with service bought after the coronavirus thing locked the country up . So , while ı know this thread was not put up to invite me back to the internet cafes because there is a Nazi base under the ocean or Wagner's head was shot down in Russia , am not actually happy with the way Chrome has been updated in a way that hinders my use of proxies and whatever . People who don't like me ... you might like me even less ...

uh , PS: The reason the forum software has put 2 New Turkey options down below , with the bonus of 7 (even if ı will NOT play it) is because r16 is probably the CFC member with the most referrals to internet cafes .

As people have pointed out already, basically all cafes are internet cafes now

As for the OG internet cafes, I've been to a few when I was littler. I remember them being dark, airless, dodgy, filled with people who make me uncomfortable, not being particularly pleasant places to be, but then again I wasn't a particularly pleasant child.

And yes I used an internet cafe to check CFC a few times when travelling

Top Bottom