IOT Developmental Thread

This is the first of the backgrounds I have completed for my upcoming game set in 1836; First nation featured is The Dominions

This is the first of the backgrounds I have completed for my upcoming game set in 1836; First nation featured is The Dominions
I really like your attention to details. One of the coolest things about the 19th-early 20th centuries for me is that all of these great powers were gradually transforming themselves form aristocratic monarchies of old into modern industrial states, dealing with various national, ethnic, social issues. I like how you captured it for this nation: it's not a solid power, but a nation torn by contradictions. Looking forward to more backgrounds.

Thanks for the replies! I believe Hanover was a typo for Hamburg. And thank you Ahigin, we are trying to absolutely make a breathable world you can really sink your teeth into :)

For those of you who may not know in context of the first post, I am planning a game set in around 1830 where the POD is that the Mongols conquer Egypt rather than the Song Dynasty in the 13th century (In OTL, the Song rebelled/broke their alliance with the Mongols, and the Mongol army that was to conquer Egypt went to conquer them instead). A big part of the world is the subsequent Chinese landing and conquest of OTL Mexico in the mid-late 14th century.

Without further ado though, here is the next background; The Holy Roman Empire in France, Tuscany, Milan and Genoa

Very intersting and well written. The population seems a little bit low maybe, considering that France itself has had pver 30 million inhabitants around 1830 in real life and that northern Italy much poplation too.
So, will there also bee any german states or are they all divided between major powers.
And the French german province is my poor home Palatina, right ? France marched through our poor region so often, we all have to take medicine to prevent baguettes from growing out of us ^^

Palatina is actually split between the Holy Roman Empire and the Dominions, so it'd depend on what side of the border you live on, or if your family would have stayed there? I'll take a look at Pop numbers but these are rough estimates atm

Only 12 nations will be playable, all of whom are great powers. The only German states of importance are Bavaria and Austria, but they are minor powers and unplayable :)

Output is cranking up so I have another background already :) The Empire of Egypt, Naples, the Holy Land and Africa, Keeper of the Keys to the Holy Sepulchre and Defender of the Faith

I'll start a pre thread soon enough as I get more backgrounds and the map (courtesy of Bair) finished up!

What follows is a work in progress and may not reflect the final product. (mostly because my naming sense is nonexistent)

Last Days of Weissen

Spoiler :
A Dark Age has come to the Kingdom of Weissen, the northwesternmost of the human kingdoms and the first line of defense against the demonic tribes in Unviddian Wastes in the frozen north. Its armies lie decimated in the aftermath of the Great Holy War, and the new reigning monarch is but a child less than a decade old.

In contrast, in the frozen north, a woman named Evelyn has begun to unite the disparate demonic tribes under a single banner. Those who follow her has proclaimed her to be Queen, the first among the demon in a millennium. While her forces are yet small, more and more tribes join her cause daily. Soon, it is not imaginable that she will succeed in her dark quest to unite demonkind under her iron fist. If that is to happen, people whisper, she will surely turn her gaze towards Weissen to settle her people’s long debt with humankind.

Yet the rulers of Weissen and the other human kingdoms seem oblivious to the threat. In the capital of Ci-Alen, nobles scheme for advantages and favors with the regent, Duke Calistos. In the east, the Empire of Terma, ruled by the decadent Dragonborn Emperor, Aether, has publicly declared its non-involvement in the plight of Weisseners. To the south, Weissen’s staunchest ally, the Holy Kingdom of Lymilark, lies destroyed. Only rubble and magical flames remain after the holy warriors of the Faith from every human kingdom failed to stop a single archmagi.

Beyond the rubble of Lymilark, the human kingdoms of the southern lands are preparing for the next Great War. A charismatic mage of unknown providence has emerged as an absolute ruler of the Al-Kalmar after a brutal revolution, openly denouncing the Faith in its weakness and bestowing herself the title of an Empress, much like the Dragonborn Emperors of Terma. While every Southern realm is still weakened in the aftermath of the Great Holy War, it is likely that the Empress will move to make her ambitions of ruling over a grand empire true as soon as her nation is able to wage war once more. Whatever happens, it is unlikely that Weissen will receive any assistance from such tense lands.

The people of Weissen now stands alone, with no armies to protect their lands and no allies to come to their aid. Brave demons have launched raids into the countryside and found themselves completely unopposed by the royal army. Such signs of weakness will surely only encourage them to launch further raids. Only ones that the people of Weissen can turn to now are the adventuring warriors who now flock to the region.

You play as these adventurers being attracted to the doomed nation of Weissen like a moth to the flame. Perhaps you were disgusted by the Dragonborn Emperor’s lack of action against the threat of demons against civilization. Perhaps you were fleeing from the spectre of a great human war in the South. Perhaps you are a survivor of the Great Holy War that saw Lymilark destroyed. Perhaps you are attracted, instead, to the rumored charisma of the Demon Queen and seeks to enlist in her forces. Whatever the case, you will likely have a hand in the nation’s future, whether it falls into ruin or remains the steadfast defender of humankind.

Whatever happens, the cold winds of the north will surely carry the bitter laughter of the Nameless God.

Last Days of Weissen is a light and slightly humorous character-driven game set in the kingdom of Weissen. The child king is weak and under the control of scheming nobles, but surely the greatest threat from the Kingdom will come from the North, where even now more and more tribes throw themselves into service of Evelyn, the Greatest of the Demonic Queens. You will play as adventurers, heroes, reformers, or other persons of yet minor-importance in order to affect your will in this chaotic realm.

More Lore information can be found below in this link.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j4atPmqmH2RHMn3ILrdTPWSk3uWvyaMr87DL1FY6ei0/edit?usp=sharing
...........................................................................................................................................................

Basic Mechanics:

You play as characters, who will be defined by four major stats and various qualities assigned to them. These characters will complete missions and grow stronger and more influential, until they can come to be one of the people who can decide the fate of Weissen. Stats, modified by equipments and perks that you earn throughout the game, will decide your success or failure in individual initiatives, missions, and quests that you undertake throughout the game.

Each turn will be divided into two phases. Mission phase and the Resolution phase. In the mission phase, you will choose which missions and challenges to undertake. In the Resolution phase, I will inform you how your attempt at the mission worked out. You will then choose to how to resolve this issue, which may, but unlikely, involve another roll.

.......................................................................................................................................................................

Playable Races:

-Humans: Dominant race in Weissen. Humans will have an easier time interacting with nobility and common folks of the people of Weissen.

• Termarian: People from the Empire of Terma have enjoyed a century of peace, during which the nation has entered a golden age of technological and cultural development. People from the Empire of Terma tend to look down on others as being technologically inferior barbarians, but its long period of peace has made them somewhat naïve when it comes to military warfare. Termarians will have an easier time interacting with nobility, but will likely face some problem empathizing with the commoners in Weissen or other military figures.

• Kalmarian: The Kingdom of Al-Kalmar, now known as the Empire of Al-Kalmar, has always been known for its strength, and reliance, on magic and its applications. Mages and aspiring magicians will likely look favorably upon the Kalmar and its advancements in the field of magic, while nobility will view them with suspicion due to the recent brutal revolution in the southern nation.

• Lymilark Refugee: Destruction of the Holy Kingdom of Lymilark meant that its population was scattered to the wind. People of Lymilark are deeply faithful, and tend to stick together with others from Lymilark and veterans of the Great Holy War. They are, as a whole, distrustful of mages and their powers.

• Weissener: Natives of Weissen. No bonuses either way.

-Dwarves: A race without a homeland to call is own. Dwarves are generally adventurers, mercenaries, and craftsmen in the Kingdom of Weissen. Playing as dwarves will likely mean that you are able to find mercenary and other adventurer contacts easier. Interactions with humans, especially nobles, will likely be much more difficult. Racial Qualities: Ruthless and Honorable.

-Beastmen: Humanoid creatures with one or more inhuman features. Be it monkey ears or fox tails, these beings have obviously animal-like quality of some description. Hailing from the war-torn lands east of Terma, recently united under a single king, beastmen are often used by humanity as slaves and other expendable laborers. Humans who live in Weissen will view them with suspicion, sometimes mistaking them for demons. Racial Quality: Brave and Charitable

-Demons: Due to ongoing animosity between the people of Weissen and the demons who lurk in the frozen north, only demons that work as adventurers here are those who can reasonably pass as humans or beastmen. The most common kind of demonic adventurers in Weissen are almost human in every way with a sole exception: long pointy ears usually hidden beneath helm or hair. Expect persecution and death if the fact that you are a demon is discovered. Racial Quality: Melancholy and Heartless.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

Character Creation:

You first use the character sheet here to decide upon basic information. You shall be provided with 12 stat points, which you may add to the below four primary stats any way you see fit.

Then you shall devise a background story for your character, for which I shall assign fitting qualities in your character sheet. For example, a veteran knight of the Great Holy War will receive points in qualities of Zeal and Melancholy, while a former bandit will likely receive points in Ruthless and Cruelty, as well as points in Bringer of Death.

You are also allowed one equipment and one companion, effects of which will be determined by me based on your description of them. They will not, however, exceed +2 in any given stat modifier.

You will also be allowed 25 gold. It is not much, by any stretch of the imagination, but it should be sufficient to buy some baubles.

Name: _______

Race/Ethnicity:

Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 5 (+0)

AGI&SHA: 5 (+0)

WIL&KNO: 5 (+0)

CHA&TON: 5 (+0)

Equipment&Perks:

• Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools:
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1:
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1:
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Charity and Hope: 0
  • Heartless and Cruel: 0
  • Ruthless and Cynical: 0
  • Melancholy and Tears: 0
  • Brave and Daring: 0
  • Honorable and Just: 0
  • Clever and Subtle: 0
  • Gleam and Zeal: 0
  • Gloom and Silence: 0
Bringer of Death: 0. Your hands, and your conscience, is clean.

Palatina is actually split between the Holy Roman Empire and the Dominions, so it'd depend on what side of the border you live on, or if your family would have stayed there? I'll take a look at Pop numbers but these are rough estimates atm

Only 12 nations will be playable, all of whom are great powers. The only German states of importance are Bavaria and Austria, but they are minor powers and unplayable :)

Output is cranking up so I have another background already :) The Empire of Egypt, Naples, the Holy Land and Africa, Keeper of the Keys to the Holy Sepulchre and Defender of the Faith

I'll start a pre thread soon enough as I get more backgrounds and the map (courtesy of Bair) finished up!

I am interested

@Seon - How close to an actual role-playing game do you wanna go with your game? Back in the day when I DMed some forum RPGs, we had actual player sessions in chat, full story-driven dialogues, etc. Do you expect that level of role playing? Or more high level game, where players just general directions for their characters to follow ("This week, barbarian Drogo goes to the market in the city of Old-New-York and purchases three healing potions, and then spends the rest of the weak clearing local graveyard from skeletons and goth kids.")

@Nuka-sama - As we've already discussed in Steam, I really like all of the nations you've flashed out so far, and I surprisingly found myself really geeking out about Egypt, mostly because of how disfunctional and weird that nations is. So, I'm interested in your game, and I already have a nations I like (let's see if other nations prove to be even more fun for me).

@Seon - How close to an actual role-playing game do you wanna go with your game? Back in the day when I DMed some forum RPGs, we had actual player sessions in chat, full story-driven dialogues, etc. Do you expect that level of role playing? Or more high level game, where players just general directions for their characters to follow ("This week, barbarian Drogo goes to the market in the city of Old-New-York and purchases three healing potions, and then spends the rest of the weak clearing local graveyard from skeletons and goth kids.")

@Nuka-sama - As we've already discussed in Steam, I really like all of the nations you've flashed out so far, and I surprisingly found myself really geeking out about Egypt, mostly because of how disfunctional and weird that nations is. So, I'm interested in your game, and I already have a nations I like (let's see if other nations prove to be even more fun for me).

For ease of management, I think I'll go with a mix of both. It is possible to find me on whatever chatting interface I may be using at the time to do some RPing, but barring some incredibly exceptional circumstance, it shouldn't matter in gameplay. Missions will have challenge ratings asscoiated with them, and I'll compare it to your four primary stats and roll some dice to determine success or failure.

How that works in more detail is detailed in the Google Doc.

For ease of management, I think I'll go with a mix of both. It is possible to find me on whatever chatting interface I may be using at the time to do some RPing, but barring some incredibly exceptional circumstance, it shouldn't matter in gameplay. Missions will have challenge ratings asscoiated with them, and I'll compare it to your four primary stats and roll some dice to determine success or failure.

How that works in more detail is detailed in the Google Doc.
So, it's similar to the "Adventure of the Traveller" by EQ, I see. Yeah, it's quite different from the forum RPGs I've DMed and played before, but it's good enough for this forum. Thanks.

I have another background for your enjoyment! We are definitely getting closer to finishing the backgrounds; stats will be a lower key affair this time is the initial plan. A February release could be in the cards!

Now here is The United Kingdoms of Hispania

As a note, these backgrounds, while giving a strong overview, may be subject to some slight changes. We may for example, adjust the borders in Germany or Italy for instance.

What follows is a work in progress and may not reflect the final product. (mostly because my naming sense is nonexistent)

Last Days of Weissen

Spoiler :
A Dark Age has come to the Kingdom of Weissen, the northwesternmost of the human kingdoms and the first line of defense against the demonic tribes in Unviddian Wastes in the frozen north. Its armies lie decimated in the aftermath of the Great Holy War, and the new reigning monarch is but a child less than a decade old.

In contrast, in the frozen north, a woman named Evelyn has begun to unite the disparate demonic tribes under a single banner. Those who follow her has proclaimed her to be Queen, the first among the demon in a millennium. While her forces are yet small, more and more tribes join her cause daily. Soon, it is not imaginable that she will succeed in her dark quest to unite demonkind under her iron fist. If that is to happen, people whisper, she will surely turn her gaze towards Weissen to settle her people’s long debt with humankind.

Yet the rulers of Weissen and the other human kingdoms seem oblivious to the threat. In the capital of Ci-Alen, nobles scheme for advantages and favors with the regent, Duke Calistos. In the east, the Empire of Terma, ruled by the decadent Dragonborn Emperor, Aether, has publicly declared its non-involvement in the plight of Weisseners. To the south, Weissen’s staunchest ally, the Holy Kingdom of Lymilark, lies destroyed. Only rubble and magical flames remain after the holy warriors of the Faith from every human kingdom failed to stop a single archmagi.

Beyond the rubble of Lymilark, the human kingdoms of the southern lands are preparing for the next Great War. A charismatic mage of unknown providence has emerged as an absolute ruler of the Al-Kalmar after a brutal revolution, openly denouncing the Faith in its weakness and bestowing herself the title of an Empress, much like the Dragonborn Emperors of Terma. While every Southern realm is still weakened in the aftermath of the Great Holy War, it is likely that the Empress will move to make her ambitions of ruling over a grand empire true as soon as her nation is able to wage war once more. Whatever happens, it is unlikely that Weissen will receive any assistance from such tense lands.

The people of Weissen now stands alone, with no armies to protect their lands and no allies to come to their aid. Brave demons have launched raids into the countryside and found themselves completely unopposed by the royal army. Such signs of weakness will surely only encourage them to launch further raids. Only ones that the people of Weissen can turn to now are the adventuring warriors who now flock to the region.

You play as these adventurers being attracted to the doomed nation of Weissen like a moth to the flame. Perhaps you were disgusted by the Dragonborn Emperor’s lack of action against the threat of demons against civilization. Perhaps you were fleeing from the spectre of a great human war in the South. Perhaps you are a survivor of the Great Holy War that saw Lymilark destroyed. Perhaps you are attracted, instead, to the rumored charisma of the Demon Queen and seeks to enlist in her forces. Whatever the case, you will likely have a hand in the nation’s future, whether it falls into ruin or remains the steadfast defender of humankind.

Whatever happens, the cold winds of the north will surely carry the bitter laughter of the Nameless God.

Last Days of Weissen is a light and slightly humorous character-driven game set in the kingdom of Weissen. The child king is weak and under the control of scheming nobles, but surely the greatest threat from the Kingdom will come from the North, where even now more and more tribes throw themselves into service of Evelyn, the Greatest of the Demonic Queens. You will play as adventurers, heroes, reformers, or other persons of yet minor-importance in order to affect your will in this chaotic realm.

More Lore information can be found below in this link.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j4atPmqmH2RHMn3ILrdTPWSk3uWvyaMr87DL1FY6ei0/edit?usp=sharing
...........................................................................................................................................................

Basic Mechanics:

You play as characters, who will be defined by four major stats and various qualities assigned to them. These characters will complete missions and grow stronger and more influential, until they can come to be one of the people who can decide the fate of Weissen. Stats, modified by equipments and perks that you earn throughout the game, will decide your success or failure in individual initiatives, missions, and quests that you undertake throughout the game.

Each turn will be divided into two phases. Mission phase and the Resolution phase. In the mission phase, you will choose which missions and challenges to undertake. In the Resolution phase, I will inform you how your attempt at the mission worked out. You will then choose to how to resolve this issue, which may, but unlikely, involve another roll.

.......................................................................................................................................................................

Playable Races:

-Humans: Dominant race in Weissen. Humans will have an easier time interacting with nobility and common folks of the people of Weissen.

• Termarian: People from the Empire of Terma have enjoyed a century of peace, during which the nation has entered a golden age of technological and cultural development. People from the Empire of Terma tend to look down on others as being technologically inferior barbarians, but its long period of peace has made them somewhat naïve when it comes to military warfare. Termarians will have an easier time interacting with nobility, but will likely face some problem empathizing with the commoners in Weissen or other military figures.

• Kalmarian: The Kingdom of Al-Kalmar, now known as the Empire of Al-Kalmar, has always been known for its strength, and reliance, on magic and its applications. Mages and aspiring magicians will likely look favorably upon the Kalmar and its advancements in the field of magic, while nobility will view them with suspicion due to the recent brutal revolution in the southern nation.

• Lymilark Refugee: Destruction of the Holy Kingdom of Lymilark meant that its population was scattered to the wind. People of Lymilark are deeply faithful, and tend to stick together with others from Lymilark and veterans of the Great Holy War. They are, as a whole, distrustful of mages and their powers.

• Weissener: Natives of Weissen. No bonuses either way.

-Dwarves: A race without a homeland to call is own. Dwarves are generally adventurers, mercenaries, and craftsmen in the Kingdom of Weissen. Playing as dwarves will likely mean that you are able to find mercenary and other adventurer contacts easier. Interactions with humans, especially nobles, will likely be much more difficult. Racial Qualities: Ruthless and Honorable.

-Beastmen: Humanoid creatures with one or more inhuman features. Be it monkey ears or fox tails, these beings have obviously animal-like quality of some description. Hailing from the war-torn lands east of Terma, recently united under a single king, beastmen are often used by humanity as slaves and other expendable laborers. Humans who live in Weissen will view them with suspicion, sometimes mistaking them for demons. Racial Quality: Brave and Charitable

-Demons: Due to ongoing animosity between the people of Weissen and the demons who lurk in the frozen north, only demons that work as adventurers here are those who can reasonably pass as humans or beastmen. The most common kind of demonic adventurers in Weissen are almost human in every way with a sole exception: long pointy ears usually hidden beneath helm or hair. Expect persecution and death if the fact that you are a demon is discovered. Racial Quality: Melancholy and Heartless.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

Character Creation:

You first use the character sheet here to decide upon basic information. You shall be provided with 12 stat points, which you may add to the below four primary stats any way you see fit.

Then you shall devise a background story for your character, for which I shall assign fitting qualities in your character sheet. For example, a veteran knight of the Great Holy War will receive points in qualities of Zeal and Melancholy, while a former bandit will likely receive points in Ruthless and Cruelty, as well as points in Bringer of Death.

You are also allowed one equipment and one companion, effects of which will be determined by me based on your description of them. They will not, however, exceed +2 in any given stat modifier.

You will also be allowed 25 gold. It is not much, by any stretch of the imagination, but it should be sufficient to buy some baubles.

Name: _______

Race/Ethnicity:

Primary Stats:

STR&BLA: 5 (+0)

AGI&SHA: 5 (+0)

WIL&KNO: 5 (+0)

CHA&TON: 5 (+0)

Equipment&Perks:

• Helm/Hat:
  • Clothing/Armor:
  • Shoes/Greaves:
  • Gauntlet/Gloves:
  • Weapon/Tools:
  • Offhand Weapon/Tools:
  • Accessory 1:
  • Accessory 2:
  • Companion 1:
  • Companion 2:
  • Companion 3:
  • Companion 4:
  • Perk Slot 1:
  • Perk Slot 2:

Qualities:
  • Charity and Hope: 0
  • Heartless and Cruel: 0
  • Ruthless and Cynical: 0
  • Melancholy and Tears: 0
  • Brave and Daring: 0
  • Honorable and Just: 0
  • Clever and Subtle: 0
  • Gleam and Zeal: 0
  • Gloom and Silence: 0
Bringer of Death: 0. Your hands, and your conscience, is clean.

This one is of great intrigue for this to cometh.

Desire to play as the mage Sam Farzad from Al-Kalmar.

I have another background for your enjoyment! We are definitely getting closer to finishing the backgrounds; stats will be a lower key affair this time is the initial plan. A February release could be in the cards!

Now here is The United Kingdoms of Hispania

As a note, these backgrounds, while giving a strong overview, may be subject to some slight changes. We may for example, adjust the borders in Germany or Italy for instance.

You said Poland was next.

You lied to me D:

[B said:
tobiisagoodboy[/B]]Very intersting and well written. The population seems a little bit low maybe, considering that France itself has had pver 30 million inhabitants around 1830 in real life and that northern Italy much poplation too.

Yeah, that's intentional. France has experienced much less of the productivity gains from the agricultural revolution in TTL. Neither for that matter has Hispania.

Yeah, that's intentional. France has experienced much less of the productivity gains from the agricultural revolution in TTL. Neither for that matter has Hispania.
It'd be cool to have approximate population numbers for other countries, too. It'd be even cooler if it was done region-by-region.

It'd be cool to have approximate population numbers for other countries, too. It'd be even cooler if it was done region-by-region.

There's going to be population figures for all countries represented on the map. I'd like to do regional figures and probably will. But its time consuming to dig up quality data. The end product I'm aiming for is a database by country and region with sex by five year age groups and maybe where relevant ethnicity. That's what I'll be using to calculate players manpower pools.

What's the advantage of so much complexity? Isn't that the #1 reason for moderator burnout? I would advocate some degree of abstraction.

I can't speak for why Masada would want to lay out that information specifically, but depending on how you swing it, you can do a lot of interesting things having hard numbers for age demographics. For example, how many men ages 20-25 are there? What does the age pyramid look like? How does the recent war affect long term population growth?

Top Bottom