IOT Developmental Thread

I can't speak for why Masada would want to lay out that information specifically, but depending on how you swing it, you can do a lot of interesting things having hard numbers for age demographics. For example, how many men ages 20-25 are there? What does the age pyramid look like? How does the recent war affect long term population growth?
I agree with you, but Immaculate talks about a slightly different thing. Basically, he's saying is this going to lead to the game ending after a few turns, because Masada is too damn tired of handling the overly complex game system. That's how it worked in the Blackened Skies to Crezth, who also had a very cool game system (I had tons of fun with it), but it just drained him, and the game had to stop at the most interesting moment.

If Masada thinks he's gonna be fine, then sure, it's up to him. I'm a player who loves digging in data, so I'm gonna have fun with the game. I just hope it lasts.

One added mention I would say is that Masada does this sort of thing for a living too

One added mention I would say is that Masada does this sort of thing for a living too
Crezth was (is) a rocket scientist. It's a matter of attrition, not of proficiency, in my mind.

Anyway, it's 100% his choice, and I'm gonna enjoy a complicated game system a lot. Just stating my considerations out loud. :)

Sonoreal is right. It's hella useful for war and population stuff -- but also economic calculations. Nukes also right in pointing out this is what I do. So I know what I'm doing and I'm well aware of the time involved. Hint: there's less involved with doing up my model that I've spent on backgrounds.

Sonoreal is right. It's hella useful for war and population stuff -- but also economic calculations. Nukes also right in pointing out this is what I do. So I know what I'm doing and I'm well aware of the time involved. Hint: there's less involved with doing up my model that I've spent on backgrounds.
Cool. I'll gladly dig in the data, then.

Posting because CFC unsubbed me. Again.

Update: The bones of the population model are complete. There's a few small things to do:
  • I need to tweak the mortality and fertility assumptions to ensure the results I'm getting are historically plausible.
  • I need a few age distributions by five year age groups from around the 1830s to get some plausible model age distributions.
  • I also need to figure out what regions I want to use and some data to inform their populations. I have that information for France, the Dominion, Sweden, Egypt, Persia, Romania, Poland, Japan and Chimerica. The tricky ones are the two states in China and something else I'm forgetting.
  • I also need to get ethnicity into the model but that's only needed for the calculation of manpower for recruitment and is quite a simple addition.
At present the model allows me to simulate:
  • realistic population change using the demographic equation (pop1 + births - deaths + net migration = pop2);
  • lets me calculate the labour force;
  • simulate the population effects of war on the civilian and military populations (the former hits both sexes and all ages while the latter only hits men aged 15-39); and
  • gives me a base for my economic stuff
As to the economics stuff it'll be quite simple. For arguments sake I'll assume the European GDP per capita is $300. Here and there I'll tweak that figure up and down starting at the regional level and letting the national figure reflect that. Multiply that figure by population and you get a GDP baseline. I'll then cook up an economic growth formula with a mean of say1.5% and a distinct rightwards skew to the distribution (there's always more downside than upside). I'll also create some sort of industrial figure so you guys have an idea of relative industrial strenght. It's not that important a variable. But I'll be using it in my economic growth calculations.

I'll post some more general thoughts/observations on the economic state of TTL once I've done this. Give me a week or so.

Ahigin said:
Cool. I'll gladly dig in the data, then.

There won't be much old chap I'm afraid.

The European backgrounds have been finished, though I have decided to save some of said hype for the thread, which I intend to put up when our map is complete

However, I'd like to direct your attention out of Europe to one of the great empires across the sea. Conquered by Chinese explorers in the 14th century and dominant over the great Jiangzhou continent, I present The Empire of the Almighty Jīn

Last edited:
Jin Almighty is the accepted short form.

Laughter, Echoing through the Halls

Among sky-high pillars and shattered glass

Bullets whiz inches away from your face as you duck into a crater. You are quite possibly surrounded without backup or lines of communication to HQ. There are other members of your expeditionary force with you in the crater of course, but that does nothing to reassure you. After all, they are each in multiple places at once all around in the crater.

"Mortars don't hit the same location twice," you reassure yourself as enemy fire continue to rake all around your position. It is raining glass overhead--a rocket battery must have struck a sniper position on a highrise above you. The shards ping harmlessly off your shielding as they embed into the ground all around you.

You peek over the edge of the crater to see a squad of enemy soldiers--mostly elves as far as you can tell--forming up ahead. They must have assumed that they have cleared the area.You muse that you could theoretically shoot and take out an officer with your rifle easily--if you were feeling particularly suicidal and/or imprudent.

As you wonder if it'll be better to surrender or play dead in the crater, your thoughts are interrupted by rumbling of the ground. It begins as a barely noticeable thumping that you can only feel due to your prone position, but quickly escalates into a quaking feeling that shakes your very bones. Up ahead, the elves visibly begin to lose composure as many of them turn and break into a run, their officer chasing after them. A shadow crosses over the crater as the four legged war-machines of the expeditionary force skitter across the-

BAM

"Ow, Goddess, what the fu-" you shout as you wake up. Geld is sitting in front of you with a thick tome in his hand and an annoyed expression on his face. "Have you been listening," Geld says through gritted teeth. "To anything I've been just saying."

______ is next to him, giggling uncontrollably just out of Geld's sight. A pair of centipedes who dwell in her hair sway side to side as if sharing in their master's delight. "Oi," Geld continues. "My eyes are here."

You sigh as you rub the new bump on your head and say...

A. "Sorry, could you say it again?"
B. "Yeah, I heard it, you don't need to shout."
C. "Yeah, I especially liked the part about the platonic solids and its application to three dimensional enchantment sigils"
D. "Hit me again, you b____dy fool and I'll feed your bones to Seymour."
E. Nothing and wander off

Quite possibly a CYOA that I may run concurrently with Last Days of Weissen, focusing on Alis and the Academy of Vidos. I thought about maybe setting this place as the location of the game instead of Weissen, but thought that perhaps running it as a CYOA and focusing on one character may be better considering that the plot is likely not as open-ended as Fall of Weissen is.

Nothing is set in stone, however, and depending on feedback, I may decide to run it as a proper game much later in the future, but then it certainly won't be played for a *long* time.

Posting rough notes, hopefully it'll get some interest so I can decide what to do. I have two different games I can run. One is more based in roleplaying with little-to-no number involvement, while the other is a more gamey exploration and expansion resource manager. They are both based in the same setting.

Lost Lands

The Apocalypse is now. The eastern seas broil and churn, with waves as high as mountains sweeping entire islands under the dark surf. The south disappears under the grinding advance of a continent-wide sheet of ice. In the west the earth itself is torn asunder, plains turned to canyons, and mountains bursting into flame and ash. The forests and grasslands of the north stripped bare by howling gusts of wind, the soil dried and cracked until only decaying dust and sand is left. The people of the world that have not already died flee, pressed on by the advancing destruction behind them.

And so they reach the end the world, the Lost Lands, a sea untouched the Apocalypse, and the civilisations that preceded it. The Apocalypse halts at the eastern channel, the northern badlands, the western hills and the southern mountains. Some say the gods hold the Apocalypse back, others claim the Lost Lands are protected by a wellspring of natural magic, while others still hold that they are already dead and these lands are either heaven, hell, or somewhere else.

Races
Dozens of races make up the sentient peoples of the world. Whether all the world’s peoples are the same species or not, remains a divisive subject, with some taking personal offense when compared to others they may deem less ‘dignified.’ It is true that all races are able to interbreed, though only for a single generation. This could be some divine rule dictating that the races are not to mix, or it could be a property of natural magic, or even the same natural process that keeps mules from procreating. In any event, many races are similar enough that individuals could pass for one another if you don’t look too closely.

Magic
Magic is an undeniable and unavoidable part of life in this world, though some do try their best to avoid it. Almost anyone can do magic, if they put in the time and effort. Some compare magic to playing an instrument. Most people are capable of playing an instrument, though not all are capable of making music, and even fewer can make a living off it. The similarities stop at one point though – instruments don’t inevitably kill their user. Every use of magic slowly, or not so slowly, cripples and eventually kills the user, in proportion to the strength of the magic being used. Magic is not a one-way street, every action has a reaction, and the vast force of that reaction is on the body and mind of the user. Many a young wizards have perished after casting their first fire spell, and an untold number of would-be witches lay buried in the woods having tried to feel the life-web of a forest. Indeed, the most powerful magic users are those who use magic selectively, only in small amounts and with great care.

What is magic? That’s up for debate. Where does it come from? That one too. What can magic do? Who knows? Some believe magic is sent from the gods and channeled through mortals. Others say magic is the force connecting all the spirits of the world, whether they are trees, rocks, or cakes, and mortals can tap into that energy if they respect it. Still others see magic as a natural force, like the downward flow of water, and can be harnessed and wielded by mortals with proper technique. Whoever is correct, the sight of priests healing the sick, sorcerers devouring trespassers with shrubbery, or mages creating intricate works of art without lifting a finger, magic is used by mortals of all walks of life. As long as they are content with a painful and short life.

The first game would take place around 10 years after the migration to the Lost Lands, with turns lasting 5 years each, while the second game will start within a year of the migration to the Lost Lands, with each turn lasting a year.

Game 1
Spoiler :
Signup
You have 5 points to spend on your countries starting stats, with 5 being the highest they can start at, and 1 being the lowest for Government, Society and Economy (representing being weak or unstable), and 0 being the lowest for Army and Navy (representing non-existence).

Government - 1
Society - 1
Economy - 1
Army - 0
Navy - 0

Race: When creating your race, have one positive and one negative attribute. You can either choose from the list of example attributes, or choose your own. Races are all humanoid, and in general only differ from humans in one or two noticeable ways. Remember, all races must be able to cross-breed. If you think your race may be too fantastical, check with me. You race will also be used for other NPC countries, or possibly other players.
Country Name: The official name of your country. Also include a demonym, and a shortened name for your country if its title is more than 3 words.
Government/Leader Name: Give a basic explanation of how your country is governed, and who the head of state is. Try to make a 1~3 word title for your government type.
Religion: Describe the religion of your country. Starting NPCs will likely share your religion, or a denomination of it.
Society/Culture: Describe how your country’s society is structured, and what the culture of your people is like.
Economy: Describe your country’s economy, such as what its staples are.
Army: Describe your country’s army, such as organisation, composition and tactics.
Navy: Describe your country’s navy, such as organisation, composition and tactics.
Legends: Create 2 Legends, given them a Name, Age, Occupation and a brief description of them. Starting Legends will be of your country’s main race. Older legends will be more at risk of dying, but are also more experienced and powerful.
Capital Location and Name/Migration Route: Show where your country’s capital will be settled, as well as its name, and the migration route your people took to reach it. In general, try to choose the route of least resistance, as in if your people arrived from the north desert, they should settle in the north, rather than trek around the entire bay to settle in the southeast. Feel free to give names to areas or landmarks along your migration route.
Language(s): The language or languages of your country. Also include some sample people and city names.
Background: Any additional history, details or background on your people, religion, government, or legends.

RULES
Orders

Sending orders is done by listing your three priorities. Your First Priority will receive most of your country’s attention, and is best used on something that will require a huge amount of effort, or something that simply must be accomplished as soon as possible. The Second should be used for projects that are still fairly wide ranging, but do not require the focus of your entire country’s ability. The Third Priority should be used for smaller initiatives, or objectives that you are fairly confident you can achieve without putting in extreme effort.

Your ability to succeed at your priorities is determined by your stats. For example, if you are trying to expand your military, having a strong economy will help outfit the new troops, while have a weak government or unstable society will undermine your attempts to recruit new soldiers.

The better explained your attempt and processes to achieve the priority are, the better the results will be. Simply saying ‘improve economy’ will be less successful than an explanation of how you are going to improve your economy, and in what ways.

In addition to your three priorities, each of your Legends can be given a task. This can either be an independent task for them to fulfill, or you can get them to assist in one of your priorities, improving the chance and degree of success. For example, a warrior Legend could be tasked with assisting your First Priority, an invasion of your neighbouring country. Or, you could task your warrior taking a small party of adventurers and scouting out some unexplored mountains.

Stats
Country Name
Head of State
Government:
Cohesion/Type – Brief description of government structure. Issues facing government.
Society: Stability/Races/Religions – Brief description of society. Issues facing society.
Economy: Strength/Equality – Brief description of economy. Issues facing the economy.
Army: Size/Equipment/Skill – Brief description of the army. Issues facing the military.
Navy: Size/Equipment/Skill – Brief description of the navy. Issues facing the navy.
Legends: Name, Race, Age, Occupation - Description

Example
Kra-har Kingdom
King Har-Jak
Government:
Straining Absolute Monarchy
All power is legally invested in the monarch, who hands down responsibilities to chosen banner-men. Banner-men have been accumulating more power than expected, and have started acting beyond the monarch’s wishes.
Society: Fragmented. Majority Tenhal, Large minority Jash, Large minority Looj. Half Baasim, Half Terrast
Society is split into clearly defined castes, with Tenhal making up the upper castes, and minority races being little more than semi-free slaves. Almost all Tenhal follow Baasim, while the minority races practice Terrast. Class, racial, and religious tensions are reaching a boiling point, with protests and skirmishes frequently breaking out.
Economy: Strong, high inequality
Thanks to an abundance of metals and jewels mined out of the southern mountains, the economy is booming with both high exports and domestic trading. Wealth is overwhelmingly flowing upwards to high nobles and merchants. The large amounts of jewels flowing into the market risk collapsing their value, and the high inequality risks inciting further caste tensions.
Army: Large, Standard Equipped, Mixed Skill
The army consists of a strongly armed and trained core of Tenhal heavy infantry, while the majority of the army’s ranks are filled out with untrained, poorly equipped lower caste levies. The minority race and low caste levies have little loyalty officers, and they risk revolting if ordered to combat own races or castes.
Navy: Small, Poorly Equipped, Inexperienced
The navy is made up of only a few dozen aging ships, their crews made up of fishermen and traders who only serve part-time in the navy. Without any standardized organisation or permanent officers, the navy risks complete breakdown if faced with competent opposition.
Legends:
Agrallias, Tenhal, 45, General
A veteran of a dozen wars and revolts, Agrallias is the lynchpin of the Kra-hal army, able to command respect of even the unruly minority race levies.
Kafoo Ushir, Jash, 30, Bard
A skilled and famed bard who, despite his race, is favoured by King Har-Jak himself. His beautiful singing and loot playing can quell the most rowdy of crowds, and smooth the most viscous of tempers.

Game 2
Spoiler :
Stats
Country Name
- Name of your country
Race: (+trait/-trait) – Majority race of your country with positive and negative traits
Leader – The leader of your country
Prestige: X(+/-) – Prestige influences growth rate, trade priority, and Legend attraction. Gained from being impressive.
Government Power: X(+/-) – Influences tax, reserves, and rebellion chance. Gained by military growth and showing power.
Social Unity: X(+/-) – Influences resource gathering and rebellion chance. Gained by pleasing civilians.
Army Tradition: X(-) – Influences army unit strength. Lost through inactivity, gained through combat.
Naval Tradition: X(-) – Influences naval unit strength. Lost through inactivity, gained through combat.
Population: X(%) – Population determines how many settlements can be built, and influences tax, resource gathering, and reserves gain. % represents estimated growth rate.
Food: X(+/-) – Without food, pop will die.
Ore: X(+) – Ore can be used as basic materials, and is needed for army units and upgraded settlements
Wood: X(+) – wood can be used as basic materials, and is needed for naval units
Lux: X(+/-) – Luxuries (Lux) represent valued goods, whether it be gold, silver, or tulips. Gained through tax or special resources. Needed to pay military units, buy resources from the market, and can be used to improve social unity.
Reserves: X(+) – Reserves are your military capable population, used to recruit army units. Are most at risk of rebelling at low GP or SU.
Armies: Mil/Irreg/Reg/Cav – Your army units, broken into Militia, Irregulars, Regulars, and Cavalry. Mil are weak but cheap, and are best used as garrisons or fodder. Irreg are most effective when used in smaller numbers and in rough (forests/mountains) terrain, or defending settlements. Reg are best used in larger numbers and in open (hills, plains) terrain, or attacking settlements. Cavalry are devastating in open (hills, plains) terrain, but are no better than Mil when dismounted in rough or urban terrain.
Navy: Light/Heavy – Your naval units, broken into Light and Heavy ships. Light ships can move up rivers, and are faster than heavy ships. Heavy ships are stronger than light ships, can carry more troops, but cannot move up rivers, and cannot chase down light ships.
Legends: Name/Race/Class – You Legends, special units that can assist with military or civilian activities.
Settlements – Settlements are broken up into three categories, with three levels and one special type in each category. You may only have one special type at a time:
Resource settlements (Homestead -> Ranch -> Estate * Factory) collect the most resources, but reduce GP.
Population settlements (Village -> Town -> City * Metropolis) increase tax rate and growth rate, but reduce SU.
Military settlements (Outpost -> Fort -> Castle * Citadel) slow army tradition loss, protect their surrounding tiles, and increase GP.

Exploring and Exploiting the Map
Players will begin on the fringes of the map, and will have to explore the undiscovered country inwards. The game map will have a grid overlay. Settlements’ resource gathering and defenses will be determined by the terrain within their tile. Multiple settlements can be built in a tile, but only the highest gathering settlement will gather resources. Dirt roads will automatically be built between settlements built within 2 tiles, which can be upgraded with ore to stone roads, increasing army movement and tax efficiency. If coastal settlements of different countries are within 5 tiles, or a stone road is built between settlements of different countries, trade routes will be formed between them, giving lux to both countries, with the value of the trade route increasing over time. Trade networks can be formed this way, with countries trading with far off countries through the roads and ports of in-between countries.

Last edited:
This is of intrigue.

Ever tempted to practice necromancy I may nevertheless resist my instincts and try another intrigue with this...

I look forward to this!

I prefer the second approach (the more stat heavy one), but I would participate in either.

EDIT: This is assuming that the second game will allow us to customise our race somewhat.

Last edited:
The second game will indeed let you customize your race. Mechanically each race is two generic traits, one positive and one negative, but you can describe your race in the same way as game 1.

Either way will work; I like more creative options but either works.

I just wonder what kind of species I will forge...

WiP map for Lost Lands. If I run the more 'gamey' game, it will have a grid overlay.
Spoiler Detailed :

Spoiler Basic :

Question - Would it have been possible to evacuate from eastern sea? What I mean is, would it have been possible for the refugee group to have been a fleet?

Top Bottom