1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IOT Developmental Thread

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Joecoolyo, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I revisited the idea and decided I wanted to go with an althist. This althist is based on Gernsback from GURPS Alternate Worlds/Infinite Worlds combined with the German Democracy route in HoI4. It will be IOT's first, functional, interstellar IOT and be based on Pocket Empires for Traveller.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    gay_Aleks and Immaculate like this.
  2. Decamper

Decamper ..!

Looks very, very neat. Are you making your own system, or using FATE/Traveller/GURPS/etc derived rules?

3. Sonereal

I'm using Pocket Empires for Traveller 4 from back in the 1990s with some modifications of my own.

4. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

How does Franco win without Nazi planes to transport his troops to Spain and no Nazi threat to prevent France from providing direct aid to the Republic? grumblegrumble

5. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Do you have a map of the general political situation at the start of the game?

6. Sonereal

I need t open up the HoI4 save with toolbox to make a map that isn't ugly as hell. Western Hemisphere is same as OTL except for Guyana being a little weird. I'll get something up later.

The Italians were more belligerent ITTL than IOTL and France was too busy dealing with its own internal political crisis, the rapid dissolution of the British Empire, and the German Civil War.

7. JohannaK

Bah! BAH! throws tantrum

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  8. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Not everyday you go to the development thread for a game that's already in progress but here we are.

So given MP's mechanics as inspired by Thorvald's ancient essays are working thus far, I guess I'm onto the next phase of things: international organizations. Going full neorealist I'm letting the players structure them however they wish (so yes, each one can have its own rules... I intend to create a master page with each one and its procedures), while going full neoliberal I'm assigning material benefits to membership.

I suppose what I'm asking is: am I asking to be driven insane by allowing a theoretically infinite proliferation of international organizations each with their own internal way of doing things?

On one hand a part of me is nervously laughing at how this could quickly get out of hand, but on the other, by golly, I feel like I finally have that soft power element 19-year old me fell short in modeling.

Fortunately it's only 5/6 players so shouldn't get too crazy but still.

9. Sonereal

Yes, because NGOs don't matter in the real world except as expressions of existing class interests within imperial powers so by focusing heavily on NGOs you're just diluting the focus of your campaign already.

gay_Aleks and JohannaK like this.
  10. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Great Battles Reimagined: The Conquest of Xinjiang

Under the divinely-guided leadership of Otto von Constantine, the Chinese Resistance Forces throw all they have at the obviously weak forces of the Cooperative Federation of Xinjiang; with air superiority, victory is assured. Soon, Wuhan, Mongolia, Xinjiang and Shanghai shall be reunified as the world's foremost power!

... with 1 Army attacking and 3 Units in Support, the CRF are soon pinned down by 2 Armies that come to the province's aid. 4 vs 3. The CRF forces lose, and they lose badly. While most escape back to CRF-corrupted Wuhan, the so-called Kingdom is clearly not going to take over China again any time soon.

Testing the combat mechanics of Multipolar Politics to see how they'd stack up to the original. The provincial force limits mean zerging becomes extremely difficult, and then the 3x requirement for victory does the rest. The Conquest of Xinjiang is rendered borderline impossible under the new system, barring perhaps an ambitious sabotage campaign that would keep Xinjiang's forces from tapping into their Support for a turn.

11. Bosnian Fanatic

Bosnian Fanatic Chieftain

Nice to see IOT still active after all these years

12. JohannaK

N-Nedim?

Omega124 and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  13. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

NN has come back to IOT?

14. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

It is me yes, it's been a long road hehe

15. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

I'm glad you're back, but can we debrief in Argentina?

Omega124 likes this.
  16. JohannaK

Valkyrie 2 when

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  17. Ahigin

Ahigin Emperor

Not an announcement yet, but this weekend I suddenly woke up with a fully formed idea for a game I thought was unmanageable. I haven't done any spreadsheets, maps, or even pricing for the various "things" in the roster, but it's fairly doable, all of a sudden. Of course, the actual start depends on the IRL factors - I didn't retire my previous game for no reason.

Check out the ruleset (again, no pricing/attributes are assigned to any building/weapon, vehicle component). Just an outline of the game rules. Any feedback is welcome.

Pilot name is Icerust. Think Mad Max meets Snowpiercer meets S.T.A.L.K.E.R. For the veterans of this forum: think BOTWAWKI on wheels.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Immaculate likes this.
  18. JohannaK

I'm in only if I can play Sikhs again.

Ahigin likes this.
  19. Ahigin

Ahigin Emperor

Such games usually have player-made factions, and I see it the same way. So yeah, you probably would.

JohannaK likes this.
  20. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

This looks pretty cool and I'd be interested in playing.

What's an Oz?