1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IOT Developmental Thread

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Joecoolyo, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

An option for consideration, but I'd wager the silent Tani boycott means there would be very little return on investment there. I can make the most well-written, well-thought out, well-structured game there is but very few people will join it because the GM is me.

I do prowl chat logs. I am aware of my place in the pecking order. There's a reason I've been quietly trying to emigrate.

It seems about 50/50, really. I'd actually say 67/33 since Thor gives me a hard time by default. :p

I think it really depends on each person whether it needs to be from scratch or not. The game actually was originally going to be straight from scratch, but I had the idea of righting the worst of the original game's sins.

Go figure, even when I try to do that, I'm criticized because oh no, I didn't read 100+ pages of posts and recover dozens of deleted files so got a few details wrong.

I have considered that exact time period actually, but then people will just pick apart why the alt-hist doesn't make sense there too. It's a situation where really for whatever road I take, someone has a problem.

There's a reason I only consider criticism for so much because I've learned it is impossible to please everyone. At this point I'm more interested in "make a game that isn't hilariously broken" than "make a game that is perfect in every way."

2. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Hit me up, big daddy Sonereal. I have been waiting a long time.

Double A and Omega124 like this.
  3. Tani Coyote

And here I was trying to avoid commenting on how Thor used "Decide, Announce, Defend" as the wording of choice for my GM behavior...

(Notice what it acronyms to)

4. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

I'd play too. I feel like I'd do the core concept better than I would ever had in high school.

5. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

I don't quite see how any personal rivalry between us invalidates the critique of your methodology in terms of cause-and-effect, but then, I assumed that when GMs post an outline in the dev thread it's because they're looking for feedback.

Have you ever considered that this passive-aggressive strawmanning of your critics is why so many people consider you intransigent?

GenMarshall and Sonereal like this.
  6. Tani Coyote

Sure, that's all valid, but that doesn't invalidate my feeling people have a personal dislike for me that would make even the best game possible flop.

It likewise doesn't invalidate that if my angle is re-imagining, I don't need to be super adherent to the original timeline's exact events.

I have actually posted alt-hists in this thread, and it prompted criticism of the smaller timeline details rather than the overall theme I was wanting.

But, with regards to the personal dislike angle: It doesn't really seem like a strawman when I search chatlogs and everyone is pretty good at spelling out their dislike of me, often on a personal level that goes beyond GMing.

In a small group of friends, the line between personal and professional blurs. Due to my GMing errors, many people boycotted. Due to lack of engagement with games and a sense of alienation stemming from the chat, I would take frequent hiatuses. Time passed, many players departed, and in my periodic returns to an IOT that had condensed around a close knit core, my role changed from crazy uncle to second cousin once removed's spouse. GMing issues aside, I am distant from most community members at this point, and any game I host will suffer accordingly.

What I'm getting at is: I don't really fit in here personally or professionally. Perhaps my interest in MP of all things, when I could just as easily say, make a sequel or re-imagining of American Empire, speaks to a sense of nostalgia. A time where people may have disliked the holes in my game management, but I still felt at home. People could find my management choices annoying or questionable, but they would still sign up and have a mostly good time.

tl;dr: I have my reasons to believe even if I conceded every single issue prospective players might have with a game, I'd still have low turnout just because of who I am. There are so many other GMs out there, what incentive is there to take a chance with me?

Sorry for ranting. :/

7. Grandkhan

Grandkhan Telvanni Master Wizard

Someone bring back Capto Iugulum imo

8. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

9. Tani Coyote

In hindsight I will not be pursuing the MP project anymore. I will be using my ruleset (I already have the spreadsheet and such) for a whole new game, as originally planned.

10. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Dead games tell no tales.

GenMarshall likes this.
  11. Tani Coyote

There's always the option of continuing it from the end... :mischief:

12. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems

13. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

I will like to link to what I posted on Argentina as I have been advised to ask this on Development.

14. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

15. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Scourge of God

THE YEAR IS 1925. THE GREAT WAR IS OVER. BUT PEACE IS ONLY A MEMORY.

THE GERMAN EMPIRE IS ASSERTING ITS HEGEMONY ACROSS EURASIA.

BRITAIN, FRANCE, AND SPAIN HAVE COLLAPSED INTO REVOLUTION.

IN NORTH AMERICA, THEIR COLONIAL EMPIRES SURVIVE.

In the United Divided, you play as an independent nation in an alternate North America that is undergoing great upheaval in the midst of a collapse of the global international order. In this timeline North America proceeded along the lines of reform and devolution instead of revolution, and no single power rose to dominate it. This is all coming to an end with the collapse of the imperialist powers that kept peace and order across the continent.

Spoiler Basics :

Players take control of Nations, or, specifically, their Government. They juggle the Political Sphere, including the ideology of their government, the Economic Sphere, which divides income into basic resources and more advanced manufacturing, and the Military Sphere, where they produce doctrines and designs used to flesh out their military. Finally there is the Diplomatic Sphere, which includes relations with the other players in the game and with non-player characters, including several globe-spanning empires.

Spoiler Political Sphere :

Four ideologies are present in the game, each of course consisting of a broad range of perspectives and ideas but contributing defined mechanical benefits. Each nation has a dominant ideology and only one dominant ideology.

Imperialism is an observance of the old international order, and participation in the wider colonial empire that a nation was part of. Imperialist nations can spend Political Power to solicit investment and support from the wider empire.

Nationalism is an emphasis on a nation's special, manifest, destiny and the sacrifice needed to achieve said destiny. Nationalist nations can recruit divisions for less than normal.

Democracy is a faith in civil institutions, constitutional law, and representative elections to build a better future. Democratic nations have access to the Parliamentary Government type.

Communism is a belief in the class struggle, the liberation of the workers of the world, and solidarity of the common man. Communist nations can convert between EP and IP.

Four Government Types are present in the game, broadly representing where a nation's power and decision-making comes from. Each nation will only have one government type.

In a Confederal State, power is chiefly disseminated among local bodies and regions. Confederal states can hold together despite a diverse cultural mix, mitigating the revolt risk from a low national unity, but find achieving consensus outside the status quo difficult. They give a base of 2 Political Power a turn, and will not lose Political Power from low national unity.

In an Administrative State, power chiefly resides with the bureaucracy under an executive. They are very consistent at applying power, if somewhat difficult to get going due to institutional inertia. They give a base of 4 Political Power a turn.

In a Parliamentary State, power resides in an elected, popularly supported legislature. They are only available to Democratic nations and emphasize compromise and peaceful outlets for dissent. They provide a base of 6 Political Power a turn.

In a Despotic State, power resides in a single individual or committee who rules by edict. This allows great flexibility and dynamism, but the concentration of authority without checks or balances opens them up to severe consequences from internal dissent or setbacks, increasing the revolt risk from low national unity. They provide a base of 8 Political Power a turn.

National Unity is the overall stability of the nation and support for the current government. A nation with high national unity represents a population broadly united behind a common set of values and institutions, while a nation with low national unity will have one or more groups in opposition to the current government. It exists on a scale from 0 to 100, representing the percentage of the population supporting the government.

Different levels of national unity have different influences on the base stats, effects do not stack:
    • >80% + 40% EP, +1PP
    • >60% : +20% EP
    • >40% : No Change
    • >20% : -25% EP, -1 PP
    • >0% : -50% EP, -2 PP
    National Unity can be increased by spending PP or EP on popular causes, diplomatic or military successes, and policies consistent with the government's current ideology. It will be decreased from changing government or ideology, military or diplomatic setbacks, and unpopular or ill-planned policies.

National Unity is also influenced by the Ethnic Composition of your nation. North America is a diverse melting pot of cultures and races. These cultures do not always get along: having an ethnic composition composed of multiple groups, especially if the politically dominant group is not a majority, will be a severe drag on national unity.

Spoiler Economic Sphere :

Three resources are available for nations.

Political Power (PP) is used to conduct political reforms, launch diplomatic initiatives, sway public opinion, and engage in clandestine activities. The amount of political power a nation has is based on its government type, modified by national unity.

Economic Power (EP) represents raw material, including manpower and financial capital. It is used for economic investment and the purchase of units. Unlike the other resources, Economic Power can be banked. Every division, brigade, or squadron costs 1 EP to maintain each turn.

Industrial Power (IP) represents heavy, specialized manufacturing needed for modern equipment. It is used to build ships and vehicles.

Communist nations are able to convert between EP and IP at a 5:1 EP:IP ratio.

Spoiler Military Sphere :

Set during a time of great political upheaval, the role of the military is key in securing the integrity of a state. It is broadly divided into two categories: divisions, which represent the bulk of the manpower and equipment committed to the frontlines, and designs, which are specialized military vehicles.

Doctrine and Divisions
    The first component of a military is the doctrine, which influences the cost and effectiveness of each division. Each nation has one, and only one, doctrine, but they may design or adopt a new doctrine by spending 1 Political Power. It costs 20ep to design a new doctrine, +1 ep for each division, or just 2 ep to adopt an existing doctrine (with the designer's permission).

When designing a new doctrine, a nation has a number of points to spend equal to their Military Quality, which represents the overall efficacy and experience of their army. Military Quality is primarily raised through direct experience. A nation that adopts a doctrine from another with a higher Military Quality will experience upward pressure as a result, representing advisors and drills, though not as much as from first-hand experience.

There are five categories to spend points on:
    • Coordination, which represents a more refined understanding of how to conduct military operations on the strategic level across a wide front, improving the effectiveness of large formations.
    • Initiative, which represents a greater emphasis on operational level tactical thinking and improvisation, greatly improving the effectiveness of individual units.
    • Firepower, which represents a greater reliance on artillery and heavier support equipment. It's particularly necessary to deal with armor and aircraft. Firepower increases the base cost of each division by 1 ep.
    • Motorization, which represents an increased use of motorized vehicles for transport and deployment. Motorization increases the base cost of each division by 1 ep.
    • Logistics, which represents an improvement on the back line supply systems. Logistics improves the ability of an army to operate far from its centers of supply and in difficult terrain.
    The doctrine determines the cost of each individual division, which is considered an independent fighting formation. Each division has a base cost of 5 ep, costing additional EP for each point of Firepower or Motorization. Nationalist nations can recruit divisions for 2 ep less than the usual base cost.

Spoiler Starting Doctrines :

British 1925 Military Doctrine
    Coordination 1, Initiative 2, Firepower 1, Motorization 0, Logistics 3
    6 EP Division Cost

French 1925 Military Doctrine
    Coordination 4, Initiative 1, Firepower 2, Motorization 0, Logistics 1
    7 EP Division Cost

Spanish 1925 Military Doctrine
    Coordination 2, Initiative 2, Firepower 0, Motorization 0, Logistics 2
    5 EP Division Cost

American 1910 Military Doctrine
    Coordination 2, Initiative 2, Firepower 0, Motorization 0, Logistics 0
    5 EP Division Cost

Designs
    The second component of a military are the designs. There are three types of designs: Armor, Aircraft, and Capital Ships. Creating a new design costs 1 PP and 10 EP for each point spent on the design. A nation can also license the production of an existing design, with the consent of the designer, by spending 1 PP. Only the designer can distribute the license, but a license cannot be revoked once given. Each new design, once field tested, will provide a permanent Design Bonus to all future designs of that type from that nation.

Armor represents armored fighting vehicles, deployed on the battlefields of the Great War. Britain, France, and Germany all fielded different designs. A new armor design costs 10 EP per point, with a number of points available equal to the nation's military quality, plus free points from the design bonus. Each armored Brigade costs 5 ep to field, plus any changes from the design.
    • Firepower represents bigger and better guns, making the armored vehicle particularly effective at engaging other armor. Each point in firepower increases the cost by 1 ep.
    • Armor represents heavier and thicker armor, making the armored design less vulnerable to incoming fire. Each point in armor increases the cost by 1 IP.
    • Engines represent better and stronger engines, increasing the speed of the vehicle. Every design requires at least one point in Engines. Each point in engines increases the cost by 1 ep.
    • Reliability represent technical and design improvements that keep the vehicle operational for a longer period of time without improving its overall effectiveness. High reliability designs are less likely to break down and operate in difficult terrain.

Spoiler Existing Armor Designs :

French CA3
    Firepower 3, Armor 2, Engine 1, Reliability 0
    Cost 9 ep, 2 IP a brigade.
    Licenses: Canada, Illinois, Louisiana, Frontier

British Lancaster-Burke 1924 Pattern
    Firepower 1, Armor 1, Engine 2, Reliability 1
    Cost 8 ep, 1 IP a brigade.
    Licenses: New England, Columbia

American Harrison Armored Car
    Firepower 0, Armor 1, Engine 1, Reliability 1
    Cost 5 ep, 1 IP per brigade.
    Licenses: American Free State (designer), American Republic, Texas

Aircraft represent fixed wing military aircraft used for reconnaissance, air interception, and bombing. A new aircraft design costs 10 EP per point, with a number of points available equal to the nation's military quality, plus free points from the design bonus. Each aircraft squadron is outfitted with only one type of aircraft. A squadron has a cost of 1 EP 1 MP, plus any additional costs from the design.

Points can be spent in the following areas.
    • Engines improves the speed and maneuverability of the aircraft. Every design requires at least one point in Engines. Each point of engines can generally support two points in the other categories, with any leftover increasing speed. Each point in engines increases the unit cost by 1 EP.
    • Guns improves the air-to-air combat ability of the aircraft. Each point of guns increases the unit cost by 1 EP.
    • Bombs improves the ability of the aircraft to attack ground targets. Each point into bombs increases the unit cost by 1 EP.
    • Aerodynamics improves the handling and flight control of the aircraft while adding no additional weight.
    Spoiler Existing Aircraft Designs :

British Sopwith D4
    Engines 1 Guns 2 Aerodynamics 1
    4 EP 1 IP a squadron
    Licenses: New England, Columbia

French Nieuport 1922
    Engines 2 Guns 1 Bombs 1
    5 EP 1 IP a squadron
    Licenses: Canada, Illinois, Louisiana, Frontier, New Spain, New Granada, California

American Carter Reconaissance Plane
    Engines 1 Guns 1
    3 EP 1 IP a squadron
    Licenses: American Republic (designer), American Free State, Texas

Capital Ships are the third and final design, representing Battleships, Battlecruisers, and Carriers. They can only be built by nations with a coastline, though designs may be freely licensed. Unlike other designs, there is no upper limit to the number of points that may be spent on a Capital Ship design: each point costs 10 ep to design and increases the cost of the unit by 5 EP. Four categories are available.
    • Guns, a more formidable surface armament allows it to engage distant targets. This increases the cost of the design by 1 IP.
    • Engines, every design needs at least one point in engines. Increases the cost of the design by 1 IP.
    • Armor, additional plating defending critical areas of the ship increases the cost of the design by 1 IP.
    • Aircraft Capacity allows a Capital Ship to store a squadron of aircraft. These fighters are purchased separately, but special carrier variants are not needed.
    Spoiler Existing Capital Ship Designs :

British North-class
    Engines 2 Armor 1 Firepower 3
    30 EP 6 IP a ship
    Licenses: New England, Columbia, American Free State

French Vaudreuil-Cavagnial-class
    Engines 1 Armor 2 Firepower 2
    25 EP 5 IP a ship
    Licenses: Canada, Illinois, Louisiana, Frontier, American Republic

Spanish Reino Carlos-class
    Engines 2 Armor 1 Firepower 1
    20 EP 4 IP a ship
    Licenses: New Spain, California, New Granada, Texas

Additional Naval Units are available for purchase, though they do not have specific designs:

Escort Squadrons are groups of destroyers and cruisers used to screen Capital Ships against other escorts and against submarines. They are armed with light guns and torpedoes, and are the mainstay of any fleet: Capital Ships without escorts will be incredibly vulnerable. They cost 10 EP and 2 IP to produce.

Submarine Squadrons are submersible vessels that rely on a mixture of surprise and torpedoes to attack larger vessels. They are able to inflict severe damage on poorly escorted Capital Ships, or severely disrupt commercial shipping if used as raiders. They cost 6 EP and 1 IP to produce.

Spoiler Diplomatic Sphere :

While this game focuses on North America, there is a wider world.

The German Empire is the dominant military power on Earth, controlling a hegemonic sphere that stretches from Elsass-Lothringen to the Shandong Peninsula. It controls the Russian and Chinese Empires as clients, and much of its military strength is pre-occupied keeping control of such a vast territory.

The Triple Entente, between Britain, France, and Spain, has been driven out of its home territories by communist revolutions. They retain some holdings in the Carribean but by and large their power has been broken: Britain is struggling to hold onto India and France, Egypt, though both are better off than Spain.

The European Revolutionaries have seized control of their nations, but must contend with each other and with the threat of a hostile German Empire, never mind the Entente.

The Japanese Empire is accumulating influence in Asia, contending with the Entente and the German Empire. It is eyeing the Spanish Philippines, Russian Alaska, and the Dutch East Indies.

South America is divided between the remnants of the Spanish Empire in New Granada and Peru, and the independent nations in Brazil and La Plata.

Imperialist nations remain part of the Triple Entente. They are able to convert Political Power into support from the wider empire: Each point of PP spent will arrive as ~10 ep the next turn, depending on their relations and the status of the wider empire. They can also request the support in terms of troops or ships of equivalent cost.

Spoiler Nations and Stats :

The American Republic / NPC
    Anglo/African Confederal Republic / Democratic Party (Democratic) - 2 PP
    National Unity: 35%
    Economy: 51 EP (130*.75 - 47) (65 Banked) / 6 IP
    Military Quality: 4
    Doctrine: American 1910
    Army: 35 Divisions, 1 Harrison Armored Car Brigade, 4 Carter Recon Squadrons
    Navy: 2 North-class Battleships, 5 Escort Squadrons
    The first (European) Independent Nation in North America, the American Republic was born in the early 19th century of a rebellion against British rule. Its proponents claim it was defending its rights against a foreign ruler's tyranny, while its detractors claim it was defending the abhorrent practice of slavery against an abolitionist London. It began with imperial ambitions of its own, eyeing French Louisiana and Spanish Florida, but suffered defeat in an attempted invasion. The same political liberties that gave it independence would then cost it, as an attempt to expand slavery to its northern free states resulted in a (British-backed) revolt and the establishment of the American Free State. It would enter the 20th century mired in political deadlock and racial tensions, tensions that would allow the creation of the Freedman's Republic (now Nova Afrika) after a Great Power Conference at its expense. The American Republic needs revitalization, at the very least: the ruling Democratic Party is best regarded as an alliance of state-level organizations, corruption and cronyism are prevalent at all levels, and widespread disenfranchisement of the lower classes is the norm.

Republic of Nova Afrika / NPC
    African Administrative Republic / Garvey Administration (Imperialist) - 4 PP
    National Unity: 65%
    Economy: 18 EP (20*1.2 - 6) (10 Banked) / 0 IP
    Military Quality: 3
    Army: 6 Divisions
    The plight of the American Negro captured the imagination of Europe throughout the late 19th century. Pogroms and ethnic clashes in the Deep South gave the Great Powers the excuse they needed and they were able to compel the American Republic to turn over some of its African-American majority territory to a Freedman's Republic. But the dreams of a people united have floundered amid corruption and mismanagement.

American Free State
    Anglo Dictatorship / President Woodrow Wilson (Democratic) - 6 PP
    National Unity: 15%
    Economy: 13 EP (100*.5 - 37) (50 Banked) / 12 IP
    Army: 25 Divisions, 3 Harrison Armored Car Brigades, 2 Carter Recon Squadron
    Navy: 2 Vaudreuil-Cavagnial-class Battleships, 4 Escort Squadrons, 1 Submarine Squadron
    The American Free State is the product of two revolutions: the first, against Britain, and the second, against the slavemasters of the south. It is a haven for the oppressed and disenfranchised, pouring into its cities and working in its factories. But these social pressures and a history of political radicalism have fueled the creation of North America's strongest socialist movement. Faced with electoral fraud to keep them out of power the nation's unions have launched a general strike and been met with martial law by the government. A final resolution is imminent.

Republic of Texas
    Anglo/French/Spanish Parliamentary Republic / Democratic Party (Democratic) - 6 PP
    National Unity: 45%
    Economy: 26 EP (45 - 19) (22 Banked) / 3 IP
    Army: 14 Divisions, 1 Harrison Armored Car Brigade, 1 Carter Recon Squadron
    Navy: 1 Reino Carlos-class Battleship, 2 Escort Squadrons
    Only in Texas were the American Republic's expansionist dreams realized, as Anglo settlers launched a revolt against the New Spanish government. Surviving the past century as a buffer state between Spain and France, Texas has prospered over the last decade as its oil wealth is sold to the combatants in the Great War, but this boom has only papered over social tensions between the different ethnic groups and economic classes.

Dominion of New England
    Anglo Administrative Dominion / Fuller Administration (Imperialist) - 4 PP
    National Unity: 55%
    Economy: 18 EP (65 - 47) (32 Banked) / 8 IP
    Military Quality: 5
    Doctrine: British 1925
    Army: 30 Divisions, 2 1924 Pattern Brigades, 3 Sopwith D4 Squadrons
    Navy: 3 North-class Battleships, 6 Escort Squadrons, 3 Submarine Squadrons
    The remnant of Britain's Atlantic Colonies, New England remained loyal (or was sufficiently cowed by the British Fleet) during the American War of Independence. Since then it has developed into a wealthy Anglo Dominion, with growing self-government including its own parliament. New English soldiers fought in Europe and Central Asia during the Great War, a harrowing experience that has left them changed men.

Dominion of Columbia
    Anglo Confederal Dominion / Conservative Party (Imperialist) - 2 PP
    National Unity: 50%
    Economy: 22 EP (35 - 13) (17 Banked) / 1 IP
    Doctrine: British 1925
    Army: 10 Divisions, 1 Sopwith D4 Squadron
    Navy: 2 Escort Squadrons
    Chiefly centered in Britain's holdings along the Pacific Coast, the Dominion of Columbia stretches all the way to the (worthless) Hudson Bay. Much of it remains unsettled and untamed, with the interior shared between the Anglos and Native tribes.

Province of Canada
    French Confederal Dominion / Party of Order (Imperialist) - 2 PP
    Economy: 32 EP (75 - 43) (37 Banked) / 9 IP
    Military Quality: 5
    Doctrine: French 1925
    Army: 35 Divisions, 3 Nieuport 1922 Squadrons
    Navy: 1 Vaudreuil-Cavagnial-class Battleship, 4 Escort Squadrons
    Once little more than an outpost for collecting furs, Quebec is now the capital of France's northernmost colony but far from the center. Its territories around the Great Lakes have boomed with industry and population, alongside a growing labor movement. At the same time its dependence on France has faded and its participation in defense of the Metropole in the Great War has contributed to a rising sense of nationalism.

Province of Illinois
    French Administrative Dominion / Preuss Administration (Imperialist) - 4 PP
    National Unity: 70%
    Economy: 50 EP (55*1.2 - 16) (27 Banked) / 5 IP
    Army: 15 Divisions, 1 Nieuport 1922 Squadron
    Navy: Landlocked
    France's benign treatment of the native population would ultimately fade as growing population pressure clashed with the promises given to the tribes. Population pressure northwards, especially after emigres from the Rhineland were encouraged to settle, drove them out of Lower Louisiana, which eventually obtained its own colonial administration in St. Louis. Now, Illinois is at the heart of New France, feeding the industries of Canada and the port of New Orleans, while eyeing further expansion into the Frontier.

Province of Louisiana
    French/African Administrative Dominion / Cyr Administration (Imperialist) - 3 PP
    National Unity: 40%
    Economy: 16 EP (40*.75 - 14) (20 Banked) / 3 IP
    Army: 10 Divisions, 1 Neuport 1922 Squadron
    Navy: 3 Escort Squadrons
    Immense wealth flows through the port of New Orleans from the rest of New France, making it the heart of French power in the Americas and a flourishing cultural center. But its strategic position is precarious, caught between two Anglo states, and domestically it is dealing with racial tensions between its Black and European population.

Province of the Frontier
    French/Native Confederal Dominion / Party of Cooperation (Imperialist) - 2 PP
    Economy: 10 EP (15 - 5) (7 Banked) / 0 IP
    Army: 5 Divisions
    The Frontier is the last bastion of the American Native tribes that once controlled North America. While nominally French its government is minimalist and chiefly concerned with mediating disputes and presenting a common face to the wider empire. But the end of that empire throws that arrangement into doubt: the Frontier is rich in resources that as-yet remain untapped and its neighbors may eye it hungrily.

Viceroyalty of New Spain
    Spanish/Native Administrative Dominion / Carvajal Administration (Imperialist) - 4 PP
    Economy: 71 EP (150 - 79) (75 Banked) / 4 IP
    Military Quality: 6
    Doctrine: Spanish 1925
    Army: 65 Divisions, 4 Nieuport 1922 Squadrons
    Navy: 3 Reino Carlos-class Battleships, 7 Escort Squadrons
    Founded on the ashes of the native empires of Mesoamerica, by the 20th century New Spain had surpassed Spain itself for wealth if not importance. It was chiefly New Spanish troops who fought the Peruvian Insurrection, and it was New Spanish as much as Spanish troops that died in the Po Valley and the Rhineland. New Spain is positioned to take over the Spanish colonial empire, or it could instead forge its own.

Viceroyalty of New Granada
    Spanish/Native Confederal Dominion / Centralist Party (Imperialist) - 2 PP
    National Unity: 40%
    Economy: 16 EP (35*.75 - 10) (17 Banked) / 1 IP
    Army: 10 Divisions
    Navy: None
    Sleepy, corrupt, and notable mostly for its oil wealth, New Grenada is best understood as the fiefdoms of powerful magnates, who rotate control of the government between them. But the demise of the Spanish Empire has coincided with the turn of the Centralists, who may be able to put achieve many of their ambitions, among them their designs on British Guyana.

Viceroyalty of California
    Spanish Confederal Dominion / Federalist Party (Imperialist) - 2 PP
    Economy: 37 EP (50 - 13) (25 Banked) / 2 IP
    Army: 10 Divisions
    Navy: 3 Escort Squadrons
    California's rising wealth in the 19th century saw it split from New Spain, to the latter's displeasure, shortly before the discovery of gold. Its population has been buoyed by immigrants seeking a better life away from the chaos and despotism that consumes much of the Old World.

Icaria
    French Administrative Theocracy / Allain Administration (Imperialist) - 5 PP
    National Unity: 80%
    Economy: 23 EP (20*1.4 - 5) (7 Banked) / 0 IP
    Military Quality: 3
    Army: 5 Divisions
    A strange, informal, unrecognized polity in the American West, Icaria is the culmination of the series of utopian communes founded across North America by French protosocialists, settling around the Great Salt Lake in nominally New Spanish territory. Despite a tense relationship with the Spanish government they ultimately pay their taxes.

Spoiler Perma NPCs :

British West Indies
    Anglo Confederal Dominion / (Imperialist)
    Economy: 10 EP
    Detached from the government-in-exile in British India, Britain's West Indian colonies are functional albeit rudderless.

French Carribean Fleet
    French Dictatorship / Admiral Henri Salaun (Imperialist)
    Navy: 4 Vaudreuil-Cavagnial-class Battleships, 6 Escort Squadrons
    Augmented by elements of the French Atlantic Fleet, the French Carribean Fleet based out of New Orleans is battered and demoralized by their circumstances.

Province of Saint-Domingue
    French/African Administrative Dominion / (Imperialist)
    The abolition of slavery and self-government mitigated some of the long-standing tensions in France's chief Carribean colony but far from all.

Captaincy-General of Cuba
    Spanish/Native Administrative Dominion / (Imperialist)
    Economy: 15 EP
    Army: 6 Divisions
    Governed separately from the administration in Mexico City, Havana's authority is challenged by nationalist rebels.

Captaincy-General of Florida
    Spanish/Native/Anglo/African Administrative Dominion / (Imperialist)
    Army: 4 Divisions
    Poor, disease-ridden, and cursed by God, Florida survives because of its strategic position in securing Hispano-French control of the Carribean. Much of Florida's population are escaped slaves and natives, in the south, and Anglo settlers in the north, far outnumbering the few Spanish.

British Guyana
    Anglo/Native/African Administrative Dominion
    Army: 2 Divisions

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  16. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

People who played World Behind the Curtain: what did you like the most about the game and setting and what would you have liked to see improved upon or added?

17. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Under Thor's wisdom I am here.

18. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Scourge of God

A near finished map, including names for those deficient in American geography.

Attached Files:

19. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 The Continuation of the Dream Supporter