1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Irritated and disappointed

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jpharper, Oct 25, 2010.

1. KingYosef

KingYosef Warlord

That is why I always buy my software from Best Buy. I talked to a manager about returning the game and they said that they usually don't do it, but they are willing to give me store credit in exchange. I was like SWEET! Bye bye Civ Dumbed, maybe see you in a couple years after all the suckers have done the beta testing for 2K/Firaxis.

2. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Civ 5 the big wet sloppy kiss to fans is looking more and more like console sloppy seconds.

Rat

3. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Or maybe it's like the big sloppy kiss on the cheek from an aunt - kinda gross but you know you're going to get it anyway.

4. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

For me, the abscence of PBEM and Hot-Seat is another evidence that the game was sold way before it was done.

Firaxis and Take 2 sure got their money faster, but I would rather get the money 2 months later and preserve my reputation...

Cheers,

Mad Hab

5. Craftsman

Craftsman Chieftain

(The highlights are mine.)

Or maybe 10 years later... :D

6. jpharper

jpharper Chieftain

Just to update those who have made the claim of being able to play with one Disc thru LAN Play. We tried that by going offline in Steam but could not get it to work. Even if we could... Laptop screens suck as they are not the size of our desktop machine.

I simply wish they had included this little detail in the System Requirements on the outside of the box... Would have saved me a lot of grief.

7. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Warlord

Welcome to the big "screw you customer" that just about every game developer is doing now.

Blizzard used to allow "spawn" installs for multiplayer -- not anymore. Blizzard used to allow LAN play for multiplayer -- not anymore.

It's the same with almost every other game company now. No dedicated servers, no spawn installs, no LAN play.

And the same, tired excuse I hear every time is "costs are rising". Screw 'em.

With the above said, I don't play multiplayer anymore; my lan gaming days are long gone.

So Firaxis may not be alone in this practice, but I still think it's pretty crappy of them.

The only silver lining is that Firaxis has said they're looking into hotseat and play by email. We'll see.

8. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Warlord

No, I'm pretty sure it's just evidence that Firaxis/2KGames wanted to see if they could get away with screwing over their customers like every other developer has decided to do.

Blizzard did the same thing with Staracraft II -- no LAN play, etc.

This continual "screw you customers; our costs are rising" attitude is really quite annoying.

9. PieceOfMind

eviltypeguy. Firaxis had a deadline to meet. That deadline was not flexible.

10. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

Interesting. So it seems you're implying their development project was poorly managed - is that right?

11. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Warlord

Sorry; I don't buy that. They could have dropped some other bit of content instead. They could have done a number of things.

If things were really that dire, they have bigger problems.

12. enfo

enfo Chieftain

Hotseat and LAN are relics from the 1990s.. I remember brining my computer to a LAN party and enjoying how fast my units in starcraft responded compared to the slow internet. I remember playing a hotseat game of MOOII with a few friends where the seat was kept warm. I also remember sending a X-COM over email with the play as aliens side mod.

Yesterday, I watched in sad amazement and astonishment as a friend played Sc2 with no lag, with pando media booster downloading a f2pgame, playing music from a mp3 collection, all while streaming his sc2 game in HD via livestream. Times have changed... there's no need for LAN or Hotseat anymore.

13. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Hmmmm .... I am also disappointed that there is no "hot Seat" mode. My "Road to War" scenario is best played in Hot Seat Mode.

As the AXIS, Allies or Neutrals, you can select all your allies or similar as Human Players and the rest as AI. This way you can co-ordinate them better and have more of a chance or even a more realistic simulation of WWII.

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Well, you know the old saying. You always get kissed before you get (*beeped*). :lol:

15. PieceOfMind

I'm implying that if something isn't finished by the deadline, it's not possible for it to just appear from nothing. That might be the result of poor management, I don't know.

@eviltypeguy. Drop a bit of content instead? Are you kidding?

I've said it before, but I bought the game fully knowing that I might never see PBEM or hotseat. Don't get me wrong, I want those things to be included in the game, but I think the game is still worth the money without them.

16. Kryhavok

Kryhavok Chieftain

Whoops, forgot to return to this thread.

The wife and I were able to get a single copy working over LAN, if anyone is still curious. <snip>
    Moderator Action: This is prohibited according to the publisher / the EULA. Discussion of it or instructions are not allowed on the forum.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Can't really comment on the laptop problem, other than to say that's not really the dev's fault. Laptops are never ideal for gaming and it is literally impossible for a game to cater to every single combination of hardware and software available.

17. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Warlord

No. To be perfectly honest, shipping the game with 9 civilizations in a much more polished state might have been a much better decision.

Smart project managers will shed features and content when they discover their project has a deadline that won't be met otherwise.

As I said before, my multiplayer days are long gone. I'm not saying that the game as-is wasn't worth the purchase -- I've logged way too many hours to think that. But I do think it could have been a better game at launch had they made different decisions.

18. timtofly

timtofly One Day

My laptop is my best machine and has HD Graphics. One day I will have something where I can have clouds and moving leader"bodies".

19. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Your signature is trash.

20. troytheface

troytheface Deity

funny post

mentions "wife" about 8 billion times

in a thread entitled "irritated and disapointed"

methinks there is a bigger issue then civ5 at hand

lol