Is Civ4 worth trying?

MerchantCo

Merchant
I'm a bit bored of Civ5 right now, and I'm considering trying Civ4. I already have a copy of that game on my steam account (I got it as a gift). Should I give Civ4 vanilla a shot?

EDIT: Tried it, blown away!

Yes. And then you should get Beyond The Sword extension. Disown all friends and family, quit your job and do nothing else for the next 3 years.

Three years? Pfft. BtS will kill a decade, easy.

@OP: Yes. Yesyesyes. Affirmative. Indeed.

Not to mention becoming a generation gift to your children, much to the chagrin of the significant other :mischief:

Go for it. I'm pretty impressed with how much Brave New World turned Civ5 around, but 4 is still my favorite. It has a better modding community, too (which I guess it should, since it's been around for like 10 years now).

Not to mention becoming a generation gift to your children, much to the chagrin of the significant other :mischief:

Yep. I consider myself second-generation Civ. I was 13ish when Civ1 came out, and although I can't really say that I learned about Civ from my dad, he is the one who brought it home. (It was more of a son-sees-cool-game-in-magazine, son-bothers-dad-daily-for-six-months, dad-buys-game, father/son-get-hooked-and-don't-do-anything-but-play-Civ-for-two-years kinda thing.) Now my oldest boy is getting the bug, and mom fears for the future. :lol:

Go for it. I'm pretty impressed with how much Brave New World turned Civ5 around, but 4 is still my favorite. It has a better modding community, too (which I guess it should, since it's been around for like 10 years now).
It's my understanding (as a non-modder, and a non-Civ5-player) that Civ4 is heavily modded because they designed it to be easily moddable, whereas Civ5 is not very moddable because the devs didn't want it that way.

EDIT:
Spoiler celebration! woohoo! :
ERMAHGERD
Spoiler :
HOLY CRAP
Spoiler :
ONE
Spoiler :
THOUSAND
Spoiler :
POSTS!!!!!!!
:dance::banana::beer::cheers:[party]:band::rockon::woohoo:

Gratz to the 1K posts TMM :band::dance:[party]:banana::bounce::cheers::high5::trophy3rd:

I playing civ since civ1 and civ2 but Civ4 is my favorite, i like Civ4 more then Civ5 because Civ4 is better for roleplaying since you can have thousands of citys and hundreds of units, Civ4 need less powerful hardware then Civ5 so u can play Huge map 18 civs even on old PC.

Also Civ4 have highter rating then Civ5 at metacritic

Also Beyond The Sword expansions is much better then Vanilla , BTS have improved AI and other stuff

In my defense, I did mean "do nothing else" quite literally. And I did not mean to imply that one should stop playing after 3 years, only that they may want to consider taking a toilet break at this time.

In my defense, I did mean "do nothing else" quite literally. And I did not mean to imply that one should stop playing after 3 years, only that they may want to consider taking a toilet break at this time.

Well, I suppose that is allowed, not to mention snacks in moderation :cool:

yea civ4 is good. its worth trying. but both civ5 and civ4 are great. no difference to me.

Well, I suppose that is allowed, not to mention snacks in moderation :cool:

ROFL. I'll always remember the first time that came up for me and I was sitting there in this pile of snack wrappers having absolutely gorged on snacks and all I could think was:

"How. Do. You. Know?"

It was seriously spooky.

MerchantCo I like your Nov 08, 2013 at 11:59 PM edit, now go tell all your friends in the Civ5 section. : )

It's an 8 year old game that quite a few people still play. That alone means it's worth trying.

when game design and dynamics are done properly age is meaningless .... see: chess

civ 4 is the zenith of the genre

Let me tell you, if you did not try Civ4. You'll miss half of your life.

But if you are on to Civ4. You'll kill half your productive time playing it! :lol:

Top Bottom