Is civilization 5 over?

Well the 2nd expansion, Gods and Kings, adds religion.

Funny that this is the end of civ 5's life cycle and I may just be hopping aboard lol.

Civ 4 vs Civ 5 with BNW

Let me preface by saying I'm a massive fan of Civ4. So many wasted hours. I hated Civ 5 a lot when it came out. Not the 1st few rounds, not at all. But sometime after an hour or so of playing it seemed like there wasn't enough interesting micromanagement to do and the lack of religion to me was criminal.

So now with BNW out and the expansion getting mostly rave reviews, is it enough that I should give it a go considering I'm a big Civ 4 fan? I hope this isn't opening a can of worms, honest question and I appreciate feedback!

Well Gods and Kings added religion, so that's not a problem.

To the main thread, Firaxis may put their attention to a game entirely different, nothing to do with the civ series. They may want to rest it a bit, let some more money from civ 5 come through, and then make everyone really lick their chops for something new.

Btw sorry for the double post, my computer glitched.

Civilization 5 isn't over but something that comes to mind if civilization 5 in its last days is how bad the early models of seige units were. Seige units couldn't shoot at cities sometimes because the turn that took to have them reload. If early seige units could reload early but not be able to fire at an adjacent tile because of the colateral damage so that seige units won't be so OP.

I'm hoping for one last thing (except balance patch) a version for iPad / Android tablets.

"XCOM: Enemy Unknown lead designer Jake Solomon has confirmed that his studio is definitely thinking about an iOS version of Civilization V."
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Sid+Meier's+Civilization+V/news.asp?c=49984

Hopefully it will be in strategic view and have cloud based AI (at least for standard+ maps).
I would love to play multiplayer this way!

For Civ VI I hope they keep the hexes and one unit per tile. But to make it less crowded, they should increase the resolution of the map = more hexes on the map, more distance between cities, more movement points for units, longer range attacks etc. I believe this would greatly enhance more variety and tactics in combat and might be easier for the AI to handle since there will be more room for maneuver. The devs should also get inspiration from other hex based war-games such as Uniwar.

Lets just hope for better diplomacy in Civ 6. So many options missing in Civ 5.

For Civ VI I hope they keep the hexes and one unit per tile. But to make it less crowded, they should increase the resolution of the map = more hexes on the map, more distance between cities, more movement points for units, longer range attacks etc. I believe this would greatly enhance more variety and tactics in combat and might be easier for the AI to handle since there will be more room for maneuver.

By changing the initial move from 1 to 2, the maps became half as big, so I agree with you. I would like to see a zoom-in battle feature where each hex becomes a mega-hex (7 hexes) for combat. I think that could preserve 1UPT while allowing some stacking and facilitate better AI maneuvering.

Lets just hope for better diplomacy in Civ 6. So many options missing in Civ 5.

If the developers could provide better diplomacy, wouldn’t they already be doing that? I would like an option for more iconic leader behavior. They all feel so schizophrenic to me that the only one I find to be consistent is Monty! What are the diplomacy options that you feel are missing?

Anyone else seriously miss vassals?

Absolutely! That is what should happen rather than an AI civ surrendering all cities but one. The ability for vassals to become independent was terrific too.

I think Civ 6 could be great if it was just V knitted up all the best features and options from SMAC/III/IV. Even pollution and corruption (done a little better) would be okay with me! I would not expect the space opera plot from SMAC, just a few of the game mechanics.

I think that units in the new civilization, could have 2 versions, a small one and a large one. For example, the musketman can have a small musket man which is more mobile and a large musketman, which is more strong. Just a thought.

I'm 7 hours from 1,000. I think I'll officially retire from this game once I hit that mark until the expansion or VI

I do like how in civ V they don't constantly ask for stuff and get butthurt when u say no cuz they won't stop asking.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

For Civ VI I hope they keep the hexes and one unit per tile. But to make it less crowded, they should increase the resolution of the map = more hexes on the map, more distance between cities, more movement points for units, longer range attacks etc. I believe this would greatly enhance more variety and tactics in combat and might be easier for the AI to handle since there will be more room for maneuver. The devs should also get inspiration from other hex based war-games such as Uniwar.

I too hope that hexes and one unit per tile will remain in Civ VI.
What I'd also love to see would be new leaders for classic civs like Russia, Germany, England, Greece and so on. Always having to play against Catherine, Bismarck, Elizabeth or Alexander is kinda dull and they could replace them with other people like Peter the Great, Emperor Frederick II, Edward I or Pericles/Philip II.

Anyone else seriously miss vassals?
Yes.
And Military Access treaties, Defensive alliances that work, Sharing of resources thats not stupid and tedious, Allies that actually help you with gifting units or cash during bad wars, All kinds of different economic cooperations, Airlifting units to quickly give aid to ally/CS, Covert Operations of all kinds, Building military bases/airfields in allied territory, Sharing intel and field of view, Sharing specific research, Interdependent Casus Belli system..... omg the list goes on...

Firaxis REALLY messed Civ 5 up pretty bad.

For Civ 6, PLEASE look at other strategy games and realise that Civ 6 doesn't have to suck like Civ 5. (speaking about Diplomacy here...)

I had a thought. Traditionally , you could say Civ5 is done , at least by Firaxis. The pattern has been : Two legit expansions ( G&K , BNW ) , nights , and , some wild (possibly less than stable) fan made expansion(s)/mods (IE :AE the ageless....). Check, check ,and , check. So , yeah , its probably officially done. However : They could always pull a wild card and go buck wild on official "vanity" expansions. Civilization 5 Star Wars® edition, Lego® Civilization 5 , Civilization Tycoon....

I think Civ 5 was a big jump from Civ 4, especially with the hexes and one unit per tile - alas it wasn't enjoyably playable for about a year - 18 months after it came out!!

Happily the last couple years have been wonderful for burning up lifespan, it'll just be a shame I'll be playing Civ 5 for the first year Civ 6 is out!!

Yes. And Military Access treaties, Defensive alliances that work, Sharing of resources thats not stupid and tedious, Allies that actually help you with gifting units or cash during bad wars, All kinds of different economic cooperations, Airlifting units to quickly give aid to ally/CS, Covert Operations of all kinds, Building military bases/airfields in allied territory, Sharing intel and field of view, Sharing specific research, Interdependent Casus Belli system..... omg the list goes on...

Would you happily plunk down your money if Civ VI was pretty much just V with all the above? I know I would. Faraxis really does not have to work too hard to get our money!

Are there any legit hints for anything new on Civ 5 yet? I so much hope for another DLC or at least another patch. I mean, yes, we all can pick up some mods on the workshop and have the game deversified a little, but this is not what I am looking for... And waiting for Civ 6? The problem is going to be that Civ 6 vanilla will have annoyingly few features, it will probably come without trade routes, religion, espionage and so on. So until Civ 6 will be at least close to so much fun as Civ 5 is we will have to wait for at least the first expansion, which is - looking at civ 5 - not before at least one year - maybe even two after release. So happy Civ5ing until 2017! Srsly? Please give us more content for Civ 5!

Well, Civilization V at release focused on expanding the war/tactical side of the game, which was its big thing. Maybe VI will focus on a more mature crowd, keep religion and trade routes, and simply expand on making the economy, err, less lulzy.

Or, better yet, they skip on developing Civilization VI and make a game based on Empires of the Smokey Skies, which was literally the best thing to spawn from Civilization V.

If CIV 6 comes out any time soon I hope they will bring their focus to the multiplayer aspect of the game.

Multiplayer is what really brings in the addictive play and clever strategies. A game well balanced around human vs human play would be amazing. It would also make single player much better since it would be inherently more balanced.

A reputation system that tallies leave to time spent playing ratio would be great. There's a lot of simple features they could implement to make the game 800 times better for multiplayer.

I hate Civ 6 already. I'm looking forward to Civ 7 when they'll fix all the mistakes they're going to make in Civ 6. :mischief:

Top Bottom