Is Civilization IV your favourite game ever?

If dropped on the proverbial desert isle with only one game to choose, then it would be:
Civ 4 BtS with BAT/BUG.
What swings it is the infinite map variety, allied to the superb customizability of so many play options.
1, 2, & 3 never grabbed me, 5 is excellent, 6 is good fun. I've just picked up from browsing a few threads that I must try 5 with Vox Populi.

2nd fav would be Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour—I spent a summer beating the Generals Challenge on brutal, and will buy in a heartbeat if remastered. Totally enjoyed last year's C&C Remastered.

3rd fav is Far Cry Primal, a shooter without guns (!) set in 10,000BC—a beautiful world, and of course bee bombs ftw :)

Honorable mentions:
Others from the Civ, C&C and Far Cry franchises;
Portal & The Talos Principle;
No One Lives Forever, Rise of Nations, Syberia, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, Royal Envoy series, Amazing Pyramids: Rebirth, Sniper Ghost Warrior 3.

Looking forward to Humankind, Far Cry 6 and Civ 7.

It's up there, but I would now have to say Old World. Any fan of Civ IV should definitely give it a try as well, the scope is different (time period/geographical span) and many systems are completely new, it's also a SUPT (Some Units Per Tile :p) game but it really really works and I think it's a spiritual successor of Civ IV in many ways.

Civ 4 BtS (preferably with BUG mod) isn't my favorite pc game but it is my favorite Civ game.
I bought Civ 5 when it first came out and I can't say I liked it. I never picked newer civ games again.

Favorite pc games? Xcom: enemy within of Kerbal space program.

Civ 4 isn't quite my top game, but it's up there with a few others - Sim City 2000 & C&C: Red Alert 2 on computer; Victory in the Pacific, Fury of Dracula, and War of the Ring for board games.

Last edited:
No. For the simple reason that I don't live in the past and always embrace new innovations.

Yeah, I think Civ 4 is the game I've spent more time playing than any other game.

Civ 4 is a challenge also. I just found out on Youtube that someone beat Deity with Sitting Bull. I was so impressed because I couldn't do it but it can be done.

Barbs are one of the major dangers there (usually attacking shortly before turn 40).
SB gets his dog soldiers with a crucial early tech, so i'ts very reliable defense while making progress.
He also has Agri & fishing already, BW comes as natural first goal.

Philo is prolly the deity top trait, easily counters falling behind in tech.
So he has 2 excellent features and only one weak (protective) :)
Could argue that his super archers also allow turtling if needed.

Unless you get a wonder or two, phi is not all that.
The power of Philo has nothing much to do with wonders at all. It's the best trait in the game.

The power of Philo has nothing much to do with wonders at all. It's the best trait in the game.
It does and with national epic and an engineer from the pyramids, you'll get more wonders and more great people for whatever you need. Stone is so good if you can get pyramids and then walls to castles. I agree, phi is awesome.

It does and with national epic and an engineer from the pyramids, you'll get more wonders and more great people for whatever you need. Stone is so good if you can get pyramids and then walls to castles. I agree, phi is awesome.

In my understanding phil is good because you get early great people from buildings like the Library, and you can run Caste+Pacifism during Golden Ages to get insane numbers of GP. Wonders help make this strategy more efficient but the basics of it are not Wonder-dependent, which makes sense because you can't count on getting Wonders, especially early Wonders, on Deity.

In my understanding phil is good because you get early great people from buildings like the Library, and you can run Caste+Pacifism during Golden Ages to get insane numbers of GP. Wonders help make this strategy more efficient but the basics of it are not Wonder-dependent, which makes sense because you can't count on getting Wonders, especially early Wonders, on Deity.
Yes, there's no wonders on Deity that's for sure. Unless you conquer them. It seems you have to use diplomacy. I could recall being attacked with medieval units while I still had axemen.

Philo is good mostly because bulbing techs is one of the most abusable tactics in the game.

Bulb Philo = other civs less likely to get it (AI in general has preference for 'monopoly' techs no one else has, and especially where those techs give first-mover advantage, like popping a religion - you can even see AI's change research from buddhism or hinduism when 1 turn away, if someone beats them to it).

Bulb edu = same thing, and now you have a bit more time to race for liberalism by yourself, picking up a nice extra tech on top.

Then trade your bulbed techs at the right time for other things. Bribe AIs into war, trade for guilds, etc.

Then you can get maybe 1 or 2 extra philo merchants, and run trade missions for mass upgrades of units once you hit a key breakpoint tech like cuirassiers or cannons.

Often, Wonder gpp's are considered a nuisance because they get in the way of precise control of which great people you get.

Philo is good mostly because bulbing techs is one of the most abusable tactics in the game.

Bulb Philo = other civs less likely to get it (AI in general has preference for 'monopoly' techs no one else has, and especially where those techs give first-mover advantage, like popping a religion - you can even see AI's change research from buddhism or hinduism when 1 turn away, if someone beats them to it).

Bulb edu = same thing, and now you have a bit more time to race for liberalism by yourself, picking up a nice extra tech on top.

Then trade your bulbed techs at the right time for other things. Bribe AIs into war, trade for guilds, etc.

Then you can get maybe 1 or 2 extra philo merchants, and run trade missions for mass upgrades of units once you hit a key breakpoint tech like cuirassiers or cannons.

Often, Wonder gpp's are considered a nuisance because they get in the way of precise control of which great people you get.
That's true, I remember bulging a great artist once when I had mostly priests (for shrine).

Top Bottom