Is Islam The Problem?

But the right of conquest is the way international politics worked for millennia. It's not unique to the Caliphate, other Islamic states, any other faith, etc.

Well, the right of conquest isn't the evil thing that warrants evoking Godwin's as it made out to by many people. In fact, the notion was quite beneficial when it was accepted.

The reason why it makes sense is that if a conquering state is forced to return the land to the vanquished state, the vanquished state may simply be to economically and politically drained to protect its own citizens. For some reason, countries nowadays adhere to a magical notion that borders are eternal and holy and attempting to alter them is sacrelige. This has however weakened the state vs. corporations and other Non-State Actors such as terrorist groups. It's no surprise notable terrorist attacks such as 9/11 happened in an age in which states are restrained by magical notions that didn't exist a century ago.

If we are talking about terrorism, the problem isn't Islam, it is international law preventing states to take necessary action from getting taken over by Non-State actors. This is also very relevant to international trade too.

One's or a Group's Misreading and Misrepresentation of an ideology or religion and using this false representation in an hateful/xenophobic way to fuel one's (group's) thoughts and desires, can lead a person(group) into a quite a bit of trouble. There are thousands doing so (misleading and misrepresenting) in the Islamic countries nowadays, what do you think this can/will lead to?

Sure if you are trying to use it as an excuse to hate Islam and Muslims.

But for anybody who objectively evaluates it,
But you are not objectively evaluating it are you? Your notion that 9/11 was not religiously motivated is based upon your own subjective belief that the Quran cannot justify such acts. An objective evaluator on the other hand looks at the motives of the people who carried out the attacks and sees a simple 2 stage rationale between 9/11 and Islam: 1) They believe that the evidence is that Islam is having a war waged upon it. 2) Our religious obligation is to fight against these enemies.

Both of these factors are stated explicitly by numerous terrorists and jihadis.

One's or a Group's Misreading and Misrepresentation of an ideology or religion and using this false representation in an hateful/xenophobic way to fuel one's (group's) thoughts and desires, can lead a person(group) into a quite a bit of trouble. There are thousands doing so (misleading and misrepresenting) in the Islamic countries nowadays, what do you think this can/will lead to?
It leads to the very same thing which is occurring in the US and Western Europe by those who intentionally spread reprehensible propaganda about Islam despite being told the truth. Rampant xenophobia is hateful and destructive no matter where it is found.

Your notion that 9/11 was not religiously motivated is based upon your own subjective belief that the Quran cannot justify such acts.
It is not "subjective" in the least. Acts of terrorism against civilians are sopecifically prohibited.

What does Islam say about terrorism?

Unfortunately more and more often, Islam has been associated with terrorism and violence due to the actions of a few extreme individuals who’ve taken it upon themselves to do the most heinous crimes in the name of Islam.

Tragic events such as the attack on the twin towers in New York, the bombings of Bali, Madrid and London are assumed to be justified by Islam in the minds of some people. This idea has been fueled further by many media channels which defame Islam by portraying these bombers as ‘Islamists’ or ‘Jihadists’, as though they were sanctioned by Islam, or had any legitimate spokemenship on behalf of Muslims. The actions of a few fanatical individuals who happen to have Muslim names or ascribe themselves to the Muslim faith should not be a yardstick by which Islam is judged. For the same reason, that one would not do justice to Christianity if it where perceived as sanctioning the genocide of the Native Americans, the atrocities of world war II or the bombings of the IRA.

To understand Islam’s stance on terrorism, one must refer to its original sources, the Quran and the teachings of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him,which are explicit in their prohibition of any form of injustice including that of wanton violence which seeks to instill fear, injury or death to civilians.

The Quran turns our attention to the high value of human life, whether it is Muslim or Non-Muslim and makes it absolutely forbidden to take an innocent life unjustly. The gravity of such a crime is equated, in the Quran, with the killing of all humanity.

“On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.” ( 5:32 )

Not only is human life sacred in Islam but the property, wealth, family and dignity of all individuals in society are to be respected and protected. Those who transgress these rights and sow fasad (corruption) as the Quran describes it, incur the wrath of Allah.

"…and seek not corruption in the earth; lo! Allah loveth not corrupters " (28:77)

Likewise in another verse

“The blame is only against those who oppress men and wrong-doing and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and justice: for such there will be a penalty grievous” (42:42)

Islam goes further than just prohibiting oppression and safeguarding rights, it commands its faithful to deal kindly and compassionately to all those who seek to live in peace and harmony

"Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for your faith, nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: For Allah loves those who are just" (60:8)

In times of war and conflict, where enmity can obstruct an individual’s judgement to act morally, Islam commands that justice be upheld even towards one’s enemies.

"O ye who believe! stand out firmly for Allah, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just: that is next to piety: and fear Allah. For Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do" (5:8)

Centuries before the Geneva Convention was drawn up, Muslims were bound by a code of conduct which the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, set. He forbade the killing of women, children and elderly in war. In an authentic narration the Prophet (pbuh) warned that he who kills anyone who has a covenant of peace with the Muslims will not smell the scent of Paradise. In fact, he taught that justice is not only to humans but must be shown to animals and all living things. In a narration the Prophet (pbuh) informed us about how a lady was sent to hell because of a cat she had locked up until it starved and died. If such is the sanctity which Islam places on the soul of an animal, how much more grave is the killing of hundreds of innocent humans?!

Abu Bakr the first Calipha of the Muslims reflected these prophetic teachings when he advised his general Yazid, who was confronting Roman armies,

"I advise you ten things, Do not kill women or children or an aged, infirm person. Do not cut down fruit-bearing trees. Do not destroy an inhabited place. Do not slaughter sheep or camels except for food. Do not burn bees and do not scatter them. Do not steal from the booty, and do not be cowardly."

The message of the Quran is clear as we have seen, that the sanctity of any human life is to be respected and any violation in that regard is paramount to the worst crime. Mercy is at the heart of the Islamic call, “We sent thee (O Muhammad) not save as a mercy for the peoples” (21:107); a totally different message to what the terrorists are sadly imparting to humanity.
You continue to express the very same nonsense found on clearly Islamophobic websites. It has no factual basis whatsoever.

Well, I consider myself something of a Universalist.

I wouldn't describe myself as anything other than a radical, fundamentalist, literalist Universalist, though. I really don't know where you get the idea that I'm lukewarm about it at all.

As for the throwing out of the "bad parts", can you really call yourself a believer if you don't throw them out?
I wasn't speaking on you personally, I didn't know you were a Universalist. I don't know much about them honestly, I had an atheist friend who was part of their congregation because he found them inoffensive & likeable people.

I'm expressing the 'very same nonsense' the Jihadists use Formy. If you think it is Islamophobic then I suggest you pop over and take it up with them. I'm sure they'll be even more impressed than I am.

I wasn't speaking on you personally, I didn't know you were a Universalist. I don't know much about them honestly, I had an atheist friend who was part of their congregation because he found them inoffensive & likeable people.

Well, when I say I'm a Universalist, I mean it in the broadest possible sense. Rather than being actively engaged in a particular congregation. (Though I'm currently poking my nose in here and there. Until people tell me to "beat it".)

To my way of thinking, we're all inescapably Universalists whether we know it or not. What sort of Universalism would exclude someone simply because they thought they were something else?

Are you seriously asking why the land-grabbing Romans were punished with more land-grabbing? :rolleyes:
Nope. Go back, try again.

Mechanicalsalvation said:
What I am seeing is that just like in early medieval era when islamic civilization has gained great momentum of its expansion and development to which backward Christian Europeans had managed to react at least partialy succesfully through crusades but mainly through establisment of trade and sharing of knowledge, so simmilarly when this new civilization-momentum lies on the side of the West it seems due to circumstances even harder for the muslim world to put up with it.
It is certainly true that by conquering vast swathes of land of former Persian and Byzantine territories, Muslims came into contact with Greek philosophy as well as Jewish and Persian stories and ways of thinking. These new insights were immediately combatted, most notably by Al Hanbal, founder of Hanbalism, the most influential and also the most conservative of the four Islamic schools of law to this day. Whole libraries were burnt and masses of infidel scholars and dissenting Muslims alike were executed. The cities in which Al Hanbal initially did not prevail, were the big centers of trade at the time, such as Cairo, Damaskus and Bagdad, which by virtue of their traditions of cultural diversity had a more tolerant approach.
But even there, the openness towards to foreign insights were limited. In many cases, Jewish and Christian scholars were responsible for translating and preserving the ancient Greek manuscripts. Islamic scholars, on the other hand, would translate the texts, and, noticing they were in conflict with the Koran, burn them afterwards. They at least kept the translations (which is not surprising in light of the years of work it would have taken). But in general, the scientific progress in the region was made not because of Islam, but despite of it.

And it wasn't a more advanced culture the crusaders were reacting to, but the brutal expansion of Islam by means of jihad. Don't forget, not only was the Byzantine Emipre decimated, Muslims had also conquered the south of Italy and the Iberian peninsula, and had tried to advance further into France. After they had slaughtered hundreds of millions of people in India, Africa and the Middle East, the Europeans were the first real resistance they faced.

What you refer to as the current "civilization-momentum" of the West is largely due to secular and moral progress over the centuries, in particular the breaking of the hegemony of the church. Only by setting aside religious beliefs and replacing them with views of science and morality which are founded in the real world, was the West able to prosper. This is a development which has not yet happened in the Muslim world. They neither have had a reformation, nor an enlightenment to challenge the views of Islamic orthodoxy. Other non-Western countries, like India or in South America and even in some non-Muslim parts of Africa, once far behind the West in regard to civilizational development, are catching up swiftly, thanks to their increasing orientation towards liberal values and their lack of all too virulent detrimental dogmas.

In the Muslim world on the other hand, the reason many Muslims give for the the scientific and cultural superiority of the West is that they have moved too far away from the roots of Islam, and have not combatted non-Islamic ideas enough. This is the thinking that leads to Spain translating more books into Spanish every year than the entire Arab world has ever translated into Arabian. In large parts of the Muslim world, the Koran is the only book Muslims will ever read. Even elementary concepts, like cause and effect, the root of all scientific research, are widely rejected, since Allah is seen as the only possible cause for everything.

For progress to happen in the Muslim world, Islamic orthodoxy must be broken. Among other things, women must be allowed to participate in public life. This has led to the flourishing of societies throughout history and around the globe. The West has nothing to do with all this, other than being able to help challenge the Islamic religious right and empowering Muslim reformers, which is what I have been advocating all along. Unfortunately, the denial of the problems with Islam has the exact opposite effect.

jackelgull said:
I feel like pointing out that a lot of the violent verses came out in times of war, when the Muslim Umma was under attack, and address those contemporary situations.
Actually the verses largely advocate offensive warfare. Though it is often stated, in its early decades Islam was not under attack, quite the contrary. Mohammed himself first conquered Medina, where he is said to have personally cut off the heads of 800 Jews who refused to convert to Islam, before he came back to Mekka, conquering the city and killing or driving out anyone who would not submit. Moreover, the verses don't have any geographical or historical references, they are written in the form of everlasting instructions. Over 100 verses in the Koran command Muslims to wage war with nonbelievers in order to spread Islamic rule.
As I said before, it is laudable that you don't take these verses literally, but certainly you can see that it is very easy to draw a line from Islamic scripture to committing acts of violence.

I'm expressing the 'very same nonsense' the Jihadists use Formy. If you think it is Islamophobic then I suggest you pop over and take it up with them. I'm sure they'll be even more impressed than I am.
Why should I? After all, the rest of the Muslim world already does. The terrorists already know quite well what the opinions of other Muslims are in this regard because they keep fighting to destroy the terrorists. The ones who don't are those who just keep uttering the same Islamophobic nonsense over and over again.

Again, from here:

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pi..._Feb09_rpt.pdf

Attacks on civilians in the US (approve/mixed feelings/disapprove):

Egypt: 8/2/84
Indonesia: 5/8/73
Pakistan: 9/15/55
Morocco: 7/8/78
Palestine: 24/15/59
Jordan: 11/12/68
Turkey: 8/10/74
Azerbaijan: 4/10/81

View of al-Qaida: (support attacks on Americans/oppose attacks but share attitudes/oppose do not share/don't know):

Egypt: 21/22/28/18
Indonesia: 9/19/22/51
Pakistan: 16/15/22/47
Morocco: 8/31/26/35

So why don't you take your own advice? Why don't you "pop over" and tell all the ones who continue to fight terrorism that they are "Islamophobic" for not having this overly simplistic Islamophobic version of theri own religion which has become so popular since 9/11? That they should actually be following those who are clearly not practicing the tenets of their own religion? Be sure to let us know how well it works out for you.

As I said before, it is laudable that you don't take these verses literally, but certainly you can see that it is very easy to draw a line from Islamic scripture to committing acts of violence.
What is not "laudible" in the least is ignoring the facts and continuing to preach hatred and vilification of an entire religion with this Islamophobic nonsense after they continue to "draw a line" condemning terrorism and fight against it on a daily basis. :crazyeye:

Again, these "verses" which you are so enamored are no different than similar statements in the Bible that hardly anybody believes anymore for the very same reasons. That vengeful and hateful god really no longer exists in Western society with the exception of a handful of fanatics. This is the reason so many Muslims continue to try to immigrate to Europe and the US to escape sharia law in the few places where it is still practiced.

It is quite easy to render the rest virtually powerless. Support the governments in predominately Muslim countries to actually fight against the terrorists as they continue to try to do, instead of portraying them as evil "jihadists" who must be eradicated ever since that magical date of 9/11.

I have only peeped into wiky to find following:
A century after the death of last Islamic prophet Muhammad, the Islamic empire extended from Al-Andalus (Spain) in the west to Indus in the east. The subsequent empires such as those of the Abbasids, Fatimids, Almoravids, Seljukids, Ajuuraan, Adal and Warsangali in Somalia, Mughals in India and Safavids in Persia and Ottomans were among the influential and distinguished powers in the world. The Islamic civilization gave rise to many centers of culture and science and produced notable scientists, astronomers, mathematicians, doctors, nurses and philosophers during the Golden Age of Islam. Technology flourished; there was investment in economic infrastructure, such as irrigation systems and canals; and the importance of reading the Qur'an produced a comparatively high level of literacy in the general populace.

In the later Middle Ages, destructive Mongol invasions from the East, and the loss of population in the Black Death, greatly weakened the traditional centre of the Islamic world, stretching from Persia to Egypt, and the Ottoman Empire was able to conquer most Arabic-speaking areas, creating an Islamic world power again, although one that was unable to master the challenges of the Early Modern period.

Later, in modern history (18th and 19th centuries), many Islamic regions fell under the influence of European Great Powers. After the First World War, Ottoman territories (a Central Powers member) were partitioned into several nations under the terms of the Treaty of Sèvres.

“On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.” ( 5:32 )

wtf? It's alright if you kill someone for murderous reasons or just to have a laugh, but in any other circumstance it's really bad?

I have only peeped into wiky to find following:

I don't find what you quoted to contradict anything I said. My only point of disagreement with the article would be in the phrase "Islamic civilization", which is ill-defined when refering to the heterogeneous cultures in Spain, Africa and the Middle East. It also implies that the religion of Islam is responsible for the cultural prosperity of the earlier Middle Ages, when actually it was the resistance to hanbalism and the rejection of dogmatic religious thinking in certain areas, as stated in my last post.

It also implies that the religion of Islam is responsible for the cultural prosperity of the earlier Middle Ages, when actually it was the resistance to hanbalism and the rejection of dogmatic religious thinking in certain areas, as stated in my last post.
Yeah. Their religion obviously had absolutely nothing to do with anything positive, such as vastly increasing the literacy rate which it obviously did. Just everything negative which you can possibly imagine. :crazyeye:

Explain how this "jihad", which you are so enamored, is again supposedly threatening the Western world (or anyplace else for that matter) through similar expansion, which was all too common with any more powerful group back then. How the "verses largely advocate offensive warfare" as they once supposedly did.

There must literally be dozens of examples which you can cite. How relatively poor countries with fairly small standing armies are a dire threat to our continuing existence through their "offensive warfare". How the Roman Catholic Church is on the verge of calling for a new "holy Crusade" to smack them down and remind them of their proper place by using rampant xenophobia to even get British royalty to take part.

:popcorn:

wtf? It's alright if you kill someone for murderous reasons or just to have a laugh, but in any other circumstance it's really bad?

No. I believe you have it exactly wrong.

I think it means: it's alright to kill someone if they have killed someone else (i.e. they're guilty of murder), or if they have worked some kind of subversion to undermine the... State of Islam or Caliphate (presumably), what we might call treason, I guess.

(And I suspect you know this anyway.)

Not that I agree with the sentiment, though.

Top Bottom