Is it possible to win a Conquest victory with Domination victory on?

Prestimus

Chieftain
It may sound like a newbie question, but this is making my head itch.

Before one conquers all rival civilizations, they will certainly reach the necessary percentages for population and area to win the Domination victory (30% of population and 65% of area in standard cases). Since one cannot win again, isn't it actually impossible to reach the Conquest victory with Domination victory on? (in other words, it would be necessary to turn Domination victory off). If it is possible, how does that work?

Before one conquers all rival civilizations, they will certainly reach the necessary percentages for population and area to win the Domination victory
Not if you raze their cities or they become your vassals (then only half their land and pop count towards your trigger).

If you vassal all the other civ's you will either win by Domination or by Conquest (not sure how the game decides). In my games it seems very Random in which it chooses.

And if you want to guarantee conquest, then raze the cities, then you won't hit the land %

As others have said, if you vassalize all the other civs, you will be eligible for conquest. Since vassals only count 50% of land/population towards domination, you may be below the domination limit when you do that.

The last time I managed to vassalize all the other civs, the last civ put me over the dom limit. In the case where you get multiple victory conditions simultaneously, (I think) the game chooses which one you get randomly. In my case, I got domination. :undecide:

Yes. Especially in the early game, you can conquer everyone without even coming close to hitting the land percentage you need for domination.

I have won a Conquest victory a few times in super late game on continent maps with Domination enabled and no vassals. With the speed of oil-driven ships as well as Modern Armor/Mobile Artillery stacks you can conquer cities so fast that a lot of the really big AI cities won't be out of revolt by the time you are done. Well planned campaigns and multilple fleets for flanking attacks help. It usually still won't work but it can.

Domination requires a a high percentage of all land on the map....usually around 64%. Vassal land counts 50% toward your total land. So really, it depends a good deal on when you win conquest and how much you keep. Early conquest victories can be achieved on certain maps/difficulties - even in the BCs - so land threshold would not factor at all unless you deliberately try for early Domination as well (setter spam/raise culture).

Late game victories are trickier especially on pangaea like maps. Say you are mainly vassalizing your way to conquest and hitting that dom land threshold. You can raze some cities along the way, or gift some land to your vassals so that it keeps domination land % below the threshold.

So no, there is no need to turn off domination victory.

Just capitulate them when available. For me, winning conquest is much more common than domination, because conquest is faster.

Same here, capitulate when available, and I also return the conquered cities so I don't have to baby-sit them.

Top Bottom