Is it possible...

Anarki

Prince
to stop one civilization or a few from progressing onto the next tech age while allowing the others to continue? For example, if you wanted one civilization to always be in the ancient age, and the rest to progress. :eek:

There might be a way...
Take the civs you want to advance, and the civs you do not want to advance and put them in to two groups. Give the advancing civ an era-none tech, and have the technologies at the start of the era you do not want the other civs to advance to require this tech. This should allow one set of civs to keep advancing and the other to hit a technology wall.

Yes, he is right. You could also make one tech. Make the position of the tech 999, 999. It will not show up on the tech tree. Give that tech to all the civs you want to advance past ancient. Mark the tech "non- tradable." then make that tech a prerequisite to advance out of the ancient era. For example make it after "Construction, needing "polytheism" and the other end techs. Then set the price for that tech at 999.

it will make that civ research that last ancient tech for many turns.

There might be a way...
Take the civs you want to advance, and the civs you do not want to advance and put them in to two groups. Give the advancing civ an era-none tech, and have the technologies at the start of the era you do not want the other civs to advance to require this tech. This should allow one set of civs to keep advancing and the other to hit a technology wall.

Surprisingly, that doesn't work. In LotM we discovered that era advancement doesn't require techs that are not possible to research. We ended up using that to our advantage, with civ-specific techs that must be researched for the civ(s) that can, but are ignored by others.

I ended up making a string of 999 cost techs for the one AI to research before moving onto the next age. That seemed to work permanently, but I have only tested it on lower difficulty settings so far. I suppose it would just be a case of making the string of techs more and more extreme in scale.

You ought to be able to use my editor to set the cost above 999, too. I haven't experimented with that setting myself, but it appears to be another one of Firaxis's arbitrary limits. There probably is a limit at some point, but it probably isn't real close to 999.

Thanks guys - this is all working now. If you're wondering why I wanted to do this, I'm trying to make barbarians a civilization. My idea is to give them some advantages in the early stages of the game and see them slowly fall over time.

Thanks guys - this is all working now. If you're wondering why I wanted to do this, I'm trying to make barbarians a civilization. My idea is to give them some advantages in the early stages of the game and see them slowly fall over time.

Sounds like a good idea :) Please do report back!

Best,

Oz

If it's about making a civ weaker by having weak units in relation to the other civs over time, why not just contiune with giving all civs the techs (except special flavor techs for unique buldings or UUs), but instead of giving the barbs progressively better units, you could simply deny them the better units from the list, and then assign units that are weaker but they would still fit in the flow of time.

Good example: Rood & Dragon scenario -- Romano-british vs Anglo-saxon

The first set of units available to the RB kingdoms were superior than the set of units to AS kingdoms. But within the first age, the units for AS were getting better and better while the RB units weren't getting stronger (just simply replaced with units with the same stats). Then if I remember correctly, the 2nd age actually gave the) kingdoms units with worse stats. Predictably, the Romano-british kings waned in power for that scenario reflecting what had happened in history.

It's up to you. I believe your method will produce interesting info about the firaxis engine, but if you are still struggling without a solution in the end, this simple one will work for sure. I hope I'm not dissuading you from testing your theory. I'm rather curious what exact results would yield. The AI can be so bizzare, lol.

In LotM we discovered that era advancement doesn't require techs that are not possible to research.
Is it possible get around that by having a tech available to research in the first era that is required for advancement & that itself requires both a first era and zero era tech?

Top Bottom