Is it really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex53

Chieftain
I have played the Civ series since the original game, which I played at school on a 386. Civ4 was my favourite as it was the one I felt best combined complexity and features with playability, and the graphics were great, which always helps.

I am sort of arriving late to the launch hype surrounding Civ5 as I have been playing an MMO pretty much exclusively the past couple of years. Went to Amazon intent on buying Civ5, and took a peek at the reviews. To my surprise on a rating 1-5, 1 is the most common! And these aren't just short 'hate reviews' but many are well explained and from people who played all the other Civ games and loved them.

Is it really that bad? Is it worth the cash or should I just reinstall Civ4 and be better off?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

But if you are a civ franchise fans you might want to get it anyway, for the sake of having a complete collection.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

But if you are a civ franchise fans you might want to get it anyway, for the sake of having a complete collection.

I am a fan of good games and all the previous Civ ones were great for their time. I wont buy it just to have another box.

I enjoy civ 5 very much. A lot of people express their dislike while I feel like people who enjoy it are more concentrated on playing... Thats just me

Well, I would have loved to sell you my copy, but I think it's against their policy, so... good luck

Some people will tell you it's too simplistic. Some people will tell you it's too buggy. Some people will say the design is fundamentally flawed and can't be saved.

I've found things to enjoy in the game, although the complaints aren't entirely without merit.

I think I'll do just that :)

Just keep in mind that the demo is only 100 turns. You'll probably enjoy the demo quite a bit - I know I did - and you'd probably even enjoy the game for a while. Heck, you might enjoy it for months or years, but some of us did not.

You're the only one who can know if it will have long-term appeal for you personally, but in my own experience, Civ 5 is the first game in the franchise that did not provide much replayability for me. It was fun for a while, but the fairly shallow gameplay didn't keep me interested beyond a month or two. If a month or two is all you expect from a Civilization game, you won't be disappointed. I had hoped this one would keep me engaged for years like previous titles did, and sadly, it hasn't lived up to those precedents. :sad:

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

Read the specific complaints of people on the forums here and elsewhere. Forget the glowing reviews and read the complaints. If the stuff people complain about sounds like it'd annoy you, then skip this or wait for a Steam sale or GOTY edition or whatever.

If the stuff people complain about doesn't sound that bad to you, then go for it. Plenty of people like the game, plenty of people can't stand it. Only you know your own tastes, but you can get a lot of information here about what people see as problematic.

Bottom line: you know that the positives will always sound positive. Great graphics! Cool new features! I love it! Etc. I've learned -- the hard way -- over the years that positive reviews mean squat. Many times, the stuff people say they love, it turns out I don't love the same way if at all. The stuff I love are things other people say they find annoying. Plus, people tend to give you only a very surface level "it's really cool and pretty!" answer on positives. That's because they're too busy enjoying things to bother explaining why. Perfectly understandable.

By contrast, people who are NOT happy with the results will often go into detail about why. That's because venting about this stuff is a form of catharsis. Again, perfectly understandable. But the upshot of all of this is that a negative response -- especially on a forum like this -- will often include a lot more raw information than a positive one. Maybe what people say they hate won't bother you in the slightest.

I know folks here have complained about, for example, river graphics. I don't recall anything bad about them, to be honest. I'm not a huge fan of the new road graphics, but...really...I don't care that much. Still, some folks will mention that in complaints. Some will say they dislike how static the tiles are and how the Civ 4 tiles were so much more animated and fun. While I agree, again, that's not something that, if I read it before buying, would turn me off to the game.

On the other hand, complaints about, for example, psychotic AI, weak AI tactical abilities, problems with 1UPT (one-unit-per-tile), map scales, build times, tech speeds, tile yields, etc., THOSE are things I'd pay attention to because I recognize that they'd be the things that'd most affect my enjoyment of the game.

Only you, however, know what you do and don't enjoy, and therefore only you can determine if the negatives about this game will bug you. In my opinion, it's worth doing the leg work up front to determine whether this game is worth your $50. I did not end up thinking it was worth that much, frankly, but that's my view. Read the negative reviews and draw your own conclusions. You know you're already positively disposed to the game, so the ultimate question is "What's everyone think is so bad about this, anyway, and will I care about it?"

I have played the Civ series since the original game, which I played at school on a 386. Civ4 was my favourite as it was the one I felt best combined complexity and features with playability, and the graphics were great, which always helps.

I am sort of arriving late to the launch hype surrounding Civ5 as I have been playing an MMO pretty much exclusively the past couple of years. Went to Amazon intent on buying Civ5, and took a peek at the reviews. To my surprise on a rating 1-5, 1 is the most common! And these aren't just short 'hate reviews' but many are well explained and from people who played all the other Civ games and loved them.

Is it really that bad? Is it worth the cash or should I just reinstall Civ4 and be better off?

The bolded part is the important one. You liked Civ4.
Chances are good that you will not like "Civ" V very much, then.
In terms of complexity, variation, options No.5 is not match to Civ4.

As others have already stated, in the beginning it may look ok. But the fascination of detecting something new wears off pretty soon.
After that you're left with weak design, quite some bugs, tedious management and a hardware hog without much pay-back.

I think you will be better served with reinstalling Civilization4.

the truth i think is that civ 4 is an obviously better game
but civ 5 isnt the worst. people exaggerated it. it can be quite fun despite its many flaws.
The reason civ 5 got such bad reviews is that it was just so disappointing to people (myself included) that it didnt build on civ4 and rather took a new direction. That's not to say that the game itself isn't capable of being good, given some more time i think Civ 5 will be a lot better and maybe just as good as Civ 4, although its hard to imagine any civ being better than BTS.

Many complaints I've read stem from the removal of espionage and religion from the game.
I couldn't be happier about the streamlining though. Going back to IV isn't possible for me. Managing priests and spies always seemed kind of "empty" and tedious. I'm glad the developers are trying to bring more meaningful innovation to the series.

For my money it isn't so much that Civ5 is that bad as much as Civ4 (BTS) is that good. Civ 5 and Civ Rev are both pretty fun, but aren't nearly as deep as Civ4. I'm a casual player who doesn't read strategy stuff as I want to try to figure out strategies on my own, and I'll probably never have Civ4 down, but I had a pretty good handle on 5 after a few months. Just not the same thing.

Civ Rev = Checkers
Civ 5 = Backgammon
Civ 4= Chess

...and some people would rather play checkers or backgammon. Me too at times.

Well, I would have loved to sell you my copy, but I think it's against their policy, so... good luck
You can still sell him your copy. Do it offline, transfer your license, and he/she's good to go.

For a veeeeeeery broad definition of "good", hahahah. The subject being Civ V.

Yes, it IS that bad. Not one of those 1-star reviewers lied.

It's not only that bad - it's worse than that, it'd dead (Jim).

it is a perfectly fine game. I would not pay $50 for it, but for $20 I am quite happy with it. to get it for $20, you have to have a friend in... Uzbekistan to install the game on your steam account.

Get it and judge it for yourself. That is the best way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom