Is there a UN bug?

Lemon Merchant

Not Quite Sonic
Retired Moderator
Hi everyone. I've noticed in a few games that if I don't build the UN, there are resolutions proposed by the AI that have already been voted on and passed, and we must vote again on the same resolution.
I usually try for the UN in my games and I don't notice this happening when I build it. Is this a bug? And secondly, what would happen if I decided to defy the vote after the resolution was passed? Would it nullify the resolution?
Thanks,
-LM

Lemon Merchant,

That is how the UN is supposed to work.

If you (or anyone else) defy(ies) the resolution, it'll "fail" like it was never proposed.

Lemon Merchant,

That is how the UN is supposed to work.

If you (or anyone else) defy(ies) the resolution, it'll "fail" like it was never proposed.
Oh. I was just confused by the AI repeating the same resolution more than once. When I get the UN I never get the option to repeat one. At least not that I've noticed.
And thanks for the quick answer. :)

Do you need to build the Apostle and UN to win a diplo victory? I got beat to building the UN and wasn't even in the running for the lead.

If a passed resolution is brought back up and fails, it's repealed. I've successfully gotten out of enforced civics (which were voted in when I wasn't S-G and didn't have enough population/allies on the issue to block them) this way, and even repealed a nuke ban long after it was passed.

Scoot, you don't have to build either to get a diplo victory, but you do have to be elected Resident of the AP (for religious victory) or S-G of the UN (for diplo), then pass the diplomatic victory resolution. Building the wonder helps by ensuring that you're on the ballot for the top spot, but beyond that there's no benefit with respect to the victory.

That is not a bug, just bad AI coding...

And you can repeat the resolutions in UN as well ( they have a (PASSED) tag, but they are there )

It's rare, but on occasion you will want to do this. Some AIs will DEFY every time and mass up the :mad: in the process. It's a lot of convenient damage dealt for doing pretty much nothing on your end.

The AI is just stupid though. This is not unique to the UN.

yes. the AI tends to play it safe when it comes to nukes. I'm yet to see a civ build the manhattan project. If I don't build it nobody does and generally somebody passes the nuclear non proliferation and no nukes for that game. It would be nice to have some nuke-crazy civs who build the MP and try to break NN treaties.

Just thought I'd check while it's on my mind (I haven't really used the AP or the UN all that much in my games to date):

- If a resolution receives a majority of "Yes" votes, but one civ defies, the resolution fails and that civ gets the unhappiness penalty.
- If a resolution receives a majority of "Yes" votes, but more than one civ defies, the resolution fails and neither of those civs get the unhappiness penalty. (?)
- If a resolution receives a majority of "No" votes, and one civ defies, the resolution fails and that civ does not get the unhappiness penalty. (?)
- If a resolution receives a majority of "No" votes, and more than one civ defies, the resolution fails and neither of those civs get the unhappiness penalty. (?)

Am I correct? I'm not entirely sure about the last three.

I've had AI build the Manhatten Project before and then proceed to create a nuclear holocaust while I was getting a peaceful space race win. Fortunately I was able to keep out of it through diplomacy.

- If a resolution receives a majority of "Yes" votes, but more than one civ defies, the resolution fails and neither of those civs get the unhappiness penalty. (?)
From reading CvGame::doVoteResults(), that is incorrect. Both will get the unhappiness (and lose the AP hammer bonus if applicable). The other three scenarios are right though. You can simplify it to:
- If there are enough Yes votes to pass, everyone who defies will get unhappiness and loyalty penalties (and the resolution will fail)
- If there are not enough Yes votes to pass, defiance is meaningless -- nobody gets unhappiness because the resolution failed on its own.

From reading CvGame::doVoteResults(), that is incorrect. Both will get the unhappiness (and lose the AP hammer bonus if applicable). The other three scenarios are right though. You can simplify it to:
- If there are enough Yes votes to pass, everyone who defies will get unhappiness and loyalty penalties (and the resolution will fail)
- If there are not enough Yes votes to pass, defiance is meaningless -- nobody gets unhappiness because the resolution failed on its own.
Thanks for that - very helpful to get that cleared up at last. :)

BTW what is the requirement for a certain resolution to pop up when you are the Resident or Secretary General?

I've noticed only a few are available, and I've only seen Religious victory once (and I failed it with a large margin even then.

I've never seen common currency, attack infidels. Cede city comes occasionally but rarely.

I managed to stop a war and get a city ceded to me while I was resident of the Apostolic Palace, but then I had founded Confucianism and spread it slowly.:lol: When an opponent got voted in as S-G of the UN, I have voted 3/4 times to defy a resolution, because it was to ban nukes. I think someone's scared of me.:lol: :D Not that I would use nukes on that opponent, as we have good relations right now in the game. Just I have two pest civilizations that I need to irradiate in my game!

:confused:I am Resident of the Apostolic Palace in my game, but I never get a chance to propose a resolution. The only thing we vote on is the new Resident (always me as the other civs are heathens who don't worship Hinduism as their state religion.) I have 95% of the votes, but the other 4 civs can all vote (as each has a city with Hinduism). Why doesn't it permit me to propose a resolution (specifically I want a vote to give a religious victory)?:confused:

I've noticed that we tend to pass nuclear non-proliferation treaties nearly every time. Which I prefer anyway, cause nuclear pissing contests get ugly.

This is generally true. I've had a game or two where a pretty big AI would vote "NEVER!!!"

I think that falls under one of those "this can't be good" moments...

:confused:I am Resident of the Apostolic Palace in my game, but I never get a chance to propose a resolution. The only thing we vote on is the new Resident (always me as the other civs are heathens who don't worship Hinduism as their state religion.) I have 95% of the votes, but the other 4 civs can all vote (as each has a city with Hinduism). Why doesn't it permit me to propose a resolution (specifically I want a vote to give a religious victory)?:confused:
I think you can only propose the religious victory if you have less than the number of votes needed to win by yourself. The idea is that it's supposed to be somewhat democratic, so you need to ensure that at least one other civ votes for you. Otherwise, the religious (or UN) victory would just be a (very) cheap domination victory.

Of course, I don't really agree with this "fix" to the problem. I think they should have made the requirement that at least 1/2 (or some other fraction) of the civs in the game must vote for you in order to win (regardless of how many votes you have yourself), rather than disallowing diplomatic victory altogether when you have enough votes to give yourself a super majority.

Not a bug. Kind of good to get a chance to revisit a previous resolution. And it happens whether or not it's been rejected or passed in the past. I'm also able to pick one that was already passed in the past, maybe you're missing it when you're looking over the choices. If you think it's stupid, well, the UN is very stupid. So it's realistic. The only part that might not be realistic, is all the unhappiness you get when you defy. I'm not against the feature, but I just think for realism purposes, the most likely consequence would be other leaders who voted in favour of the res that you defied get a -1 in attitude vs your own people being unhappy. In our world, anyone who gives a damn what the UN thinks is probably just as racist as them.

Top Bottom