Is there any Civs that you hate starting nest too?

bloodofages

Prince
I just started a new game as the Greeks, good spot, a River going through Athens and a mountains on the left and right of Athens, and a waterfall comeing out of the mountain that is to my right. I really liked this starting place. So i sent my warrior to explore and who do i run into? The Americans, and i was thinking DARN IT! Why do they have to be so close? DARN! Now in real life i am a American, but in the game for some reason i like the Americans to be far away from, on the other side of the world. I don't like to use the Culture link start cause you always have the same Civs always starting next to you. Any Civs you hate to be near you?

Simple solution . Dont use culturally linked starting positions.

There is a unfixable bug about Culturally Linked Starting Position that makes all Amerindian civs appear. That means you would be stuck with Aztecs , Iroquis, Maya, Inca.

There aren't any civs that particularly hate to start near, but I grit my teeth a little when the first two or three are all "high agression" AI's because I know I'm probably going to be fighting them sooner than I'd like to. Nothing like starting surrounded by the Germans, Zulus, and Mongols.

Besides the high aggression civs, I cringe when I find I am next to the Greeks, Carthagians or Romans, i.e. all the Ancient Age D=3 civs. I like to secure iron and horses by the Middle Ages and will war in the AA to get what I'm missing. Not much hope against those guys though.

i really hate starting next to the scandinavians and celts..there UU's eat me to pieces in the early part of the game...but i also hate starting next to the aztecs for some reason..they always seem to expand towards me even though they have the whole continent on the other side that better suited

The worst civ to be beside IMHO is the Russians, because they always seem to expand around you, and if you're in a tight position often they can cut you off early on from settling - also, their Scientific trait means that they can become the leader in the tech race, and soon you could become one of their quasi-vassal states if you're not careful!

Another annoying civ to be near (I agree with bloodofages) is the Americans, because often they expand (just like Russia) faster than other civs and generally end up quite powerful. I find the Iroquois to be similar, and this really gets me - they end up being one of the most powerful states (above Rome, for instance, in a recent game), and this is completely unfaithful to history! I know it's about gameplay and not history, but it's still annoying!

i hate starting near ottomans.
i began real big siege against them once.however i couldnt end the siege.i asked myself ''what am i doing to my beloved istanbul''.after this i began as ottomans for the thousandth time.

AnsarKing101 said:
Dont forget Aztecs, and the annoying French

The French? Joan may be the best civ to start up next to. Low aggression & the AI isn't very good with them, leaving you plenty of space to expand into. Also no severe cultural pressure.

AnsarKing101 said:
Simple solution . Dont use culturally linked starting positions.

There is a unfixable bug about Culturally Linked Starting Position that makes all Amerindian civs appear. That means you would be stuck with Aztecs , Iroquis, Maya, Inca.

That's strange. I always have culturally-linked, and usually there's only one or two American civs in each game; last time there was just the (not very annoying, considering that they were a continent away) Mayans.

I hate starting next to Sumeria. They always seem to become a powerhouse.

I hate starting next to Greece, Persia, Carthage, or Sumeria. All have great or annoying AA UUs and Persia and Sumeria tend to become industrial age powerhouses, so it's not that good starting far from them either.

I don't take any pleasure in starting next to Rome, mainly because it's happened so much. Might be explained by my tendency to enjoy playing as Mediterranean civs (Greece, Egypt and Byzantium are perennial favourites). I also usually get involved in cataclysmic wars with Carthage at some point, but they're not such a bad neighbour to begin with.

I hate start near Sumeria and Mongols. First are too strong and ussually too big, second are found of wars with me...

Top Bottom