1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anyone with NO problems running the game?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by cwaugh, Dec 10, 2005.

1. cwaugh

cwaugh Chieftain

First, thanks to Harkonnen for his patch which made the game fairly playable on my machine. However, I still have sluggish performance on large maps / late in the game. This is with a system that exceeds the recommended specs, AND I have movies off, graphics to low etc. This is the only game I have problems with - nothing else released recently even hints at being a problem!

So:

1] Can anyone say that they have NO slowdowns, CTD, etc with graphics set to full, movies on, etc? What kind of wonder machine can do this? If so, what percentage of people have no problems at all?

2] How is it possible that Firaxis 'missed' such woeful performance? Can they honestly have developers who tested using a 'recommended', or, god forbid, a 'minimum' system, and were able to complete even a std size map? I'm not saying it's not possible - given the quirkiness of software, there may one missing factor I'm overlooking. But... a lot of people seem to have issues!

2. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I've never had a CTD with the release version. The only significant slowdown I get on maps smaller than huge (with all the bells and whistels on) is a momentary freeze (a few seconds) when loading in a diplomatic overture (this could be easily eleviated if I got around to upgrading my RAM). I do not have enough RAM to run huge maps well (the frame rate is a bit choppy for may taste, but far from unplayable).

BTW, my machine is under the recommended, but I built it to run Gamebryo fairly well (as I am a Gamebryo developer).

3. cwaugh

cwaugh Chieftain

Warpstorm:
    Is that with all graphics set 'high'? And what does one do to get Gambryo to run better?
    My CTDs were all memory related, BTW. Poor memory use seems to be the game's problem...I've never seen such a hog!

4. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

I prefer to play standard maps, but on those I've never had any problems with all the graphics turned on. The game has never crashed, I don't get any graphical glitches, everything runs quickly enough. Pulling up a diplo or advisor screen might delay for perhaps 1 second, but I've got no problem with that. This is on a pretty unimpressive machine - AMD 2500, FX5700Ultra, 512MB.

5. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Everything on maximum and never a crash or a slowdown.

amd 3700+
    7800 gt
    2gb

6. Huxley Hobbes

Huxley Hobbes Anarcho-capitalist

My graphics card is rather aged, so I can't run it on max settings, but the memory is a non-issue for me (So far.), and I haven't had any CTDs that I can recall. Then again, I'm a long-time player of Morrowind, so until I get 3 CTDs an hour I won't notice, most likely. It does take a shade longer to do turns on Huge worlds, but only one or two seconds.

7. Smeee

Smeee Chieftain

Running Full everything. highest Res. 0 problems before and after the patch.

Advent T9103 (no modifications to shipping spec)

3.4ghz
    1024 mb ram
    ATi Radeon x 600 pro video

8. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

I had one graphical glitch in the out-of-the-box version which was fixed by unpacking the art0.pak file, and have had none since, other than the obvious slowdown on enormous maps - the Earth Ice Age scenario in particular slowed me down a lot, but that's hardly surprising.

I've a 2.6 GHz Intel, a gig of RAM and an X800XT.

9. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Yes, all high. A video card with drivers that actually work with Gamebryo helps a lot (I use an nVidia 6600 with old drivers as nVidia screwed up some of the newer ones). Having a fast hard drive with a large (I use 4 GB) fixed size virtual memory also helps.

10. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I tried Harkonnen's patch yesterday and I must say It Rocks!!. The performance was very improved, specially when loading saved games. I only had a few slowdowns during huge games, all settings in high, never had a CTD or BSOD before or after the patch. Running on a ZV6000 laptop, Athlon 64 3200+ processor, 512MB RAM (I just upgraded to 1.25MB!), ATI Radeon Xpress 200m 128MB dedicated video RAM, Omega Drivers 6.0.1.4(Very recommended!) and Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

11. Lahdoz

Lahdoz Noble

I've tested the game on too many combinations of hardware. The only times I have had real problems like CTDs and reboots were a result of defective hardware. A defective motherboard and some defective memory. The computers would run fine for basic usage, but under load friom 3D games, CAD and some benchmark programs, they would show problems. Win 2k and XP both worked fine.

Other than that I have had the game run on recommended spec machines, to way overpowered machines with no problems.

12. magfo

magfo Chieftain

I am running the game with full everything.

Not a single lockup.

Ok, it takes some time to load a game on a huge map in the later stages of the game, but not THAT bad. All in all, I can't understand what everyone is crying about?

I have a AMD 2500+ and 1 gig of ram.

And as I said. No problems.

13. korn469

korn469 Warlord

No problems here that I've noticed except for the occasional momentary slow down between turns later in the game. I haven't played on huge maps yet.

athlon 3200
    500mb ram
    nvidia 6600

14. Reprisal

Reprisal Warlord

Same system as magfo, though my video card might be a bit better (but he didn't list his so...), and I've not had any problems beyond the BINK video player being a piece of junk since its inception.

15. guyfamous

guyfamous Chieftain

No problems here on either of my machines. No crashes, no slowdowns, before or after patching. I've only played standard maps, so I can't comment on how my computers would handle a huge map.

Desktop -
    AMD 3500+
    1 GB RAM
    nVidia EN6800 Video

Laptop -
    AMD 3200+
    1 GB RAM
    ATI Mobility x200

16. Breunor

Breunor Deity

I haven't had any problems.

Breunor

17. ledhed

ledhed Chieftain

the only way I found to run it with no problems was to spend three grand for a new computer with 2 gigs ram and 256 nividia graphics card and a big time pentium chip ...like three times the optimum reccomended needed....that sucks btw .

18. Jass

Jass Chieftain

single player, I never had any problem. Multiplayer however is unplayable. Well, I can start a game and all that, but I'll run into a crash to desktop within a 2 hour window. Rince and repeat. That means I have to reconnect everytime. Can be a pain when playing internetgames.

19. Xink

Xink King

Plays perfect for me with zero CTD's or slowdowns at all, all the way through to the modern age using the biggest of maps.

I run at 1280x1024 with 2xAA with all the eye candy settings on.

It ran perfectly before the patch and continues to do the same after.

The only time that I had an issue turns out to have been down to a faulty memory stick.

20. minger

minger Warlord

I don't have tnl. After the patch, everything has been fine, *as long as* the computer has been restarted before starting a session of civ. In other words, if I play a session, then quit, then later play a session without restarting hte computer, then it will be slow.