Is there going to be a boxed Collectors Edition?

bhavv

Glorious World Dictator
I still like to buy boxed CE's of games that I like, and would really like a Civ 5 CE :(

Even Civilization Chronicles wasnt initially released in the UK, and I didnt manage to buy it.

I would like all the features of the digital download in a nice big CE box, hardly anyone does that anymore on the games that I actually like :(

Hear, hear. Civilization has such a loyal following that a collectors edition would have made a lot of sense. It's a missed opportunity really. Releasing one later won't work if most everyone has already bought the regular edition. (I would probably buy a boxed collectors edition but not if I already bought the game earlier)

I'll euhm... third this. Would buy it the second it came out, but of course not if I had bought a digital edition earlier.

Is there going to be a boxed Collectors Edition?

Since I'm not going to buy the Steam version of Civ 5, I would be interested in purchasing a Collector's version of Civilization V that does not require Steam.

I just hope the collectors edition comes in the shop at the same time as the regulars. Having to buy it twice sucks, as waiting to play is out of the question =)

I love getting collectors edition stuff. I bought the collectors edition of GTA4, which came with a safety deposit box. I ended up turning that into a computer. I wonder if it can play Civ 5. What were we talking about again?

I asked this similar question in the Pre-order Civ V thread(I want to buy the box version of the game,but I want the content of the Deluxe Edition.So if I order the game from Amazon.Will I have the option to buy all the extra stuff on Steam,or am I just out of luck?)

I hope this will happen,I always buy the box version,but I guess downloads is the way the industry is going now of days.:sad:

Ive already pre ordered the normal version from Amazon for £24.99, just as I have for Diablo III, but I want a CE for each one.

The preorders just have the two games confirmed at their lower preorder prices (Diablo III I reserved for £22.50 on preorder), basically I keep the preorders until a CE is announced, but I've never seen a Civ CE, at least not on release, and Chronicles was nice but not useful for people who have already bought everysingle game.

That approach is like rewarding newbies that havnt bought civ yet and they can get a nice shiny CE, but fans that buy on release get nothing nice or extra from boxed copies.

Downloads suck for me. DVD = faster installations, and large printed manuals = awesome.

Wait, Civ V is only on steam? I thought it was like an option, I want a Civ 5 disk

I may be wrong (and I hope somone will correct me if I am) but Steam actually refers to two different things - purchasing the game and activating the game. You can purchase it either retail as a disc or through Steam as a digital download. However, regardless of how you purchase it, Civ V will need to be activated with Steam. If you buy it as a digital download, this will presumably be trivial. However, if you buy it as a disc from a retail store, as part of the installation process the software will likely install a Steam client in order to register the game with Steam. You'll still have the disc, but you won't necessarially need it to be in the computer to play the game. This serves as DRM (copy protection) and also offers a slew of services that really only matter if you're into multi-player games.

My understanding is that you don't need to have an internet connection after the initial activation is complete.

I may be wrong (and I hope somone will correct me if I am) but Steam actually refers to two different things - purchasing the game and activating the game. You can purchase it either retail as a disc or through Steam as a digital download. However, regardless of how you purchase it, Civ V will need to be activated with Steam. If you buy it as a digital download, this will presumably be trivial. However, if you buy it as a disc from a retail store, as part of the installation process the software will likely install a Steam client in order to register the game with Steam. You'll still have the disc, but you won't necessarially need it to be in the computer to play the game. This serves as DRM (copy protection) and also offers a slew of services that really only matter if you're into multi-player games.

My understanding is that you don't need to have an internet connection after the initial activation is complete.
Exactly correct, Danchops. There are several threads discussing this further, so I won't get into it, but you're right.

As to the OP, I would also like a boxed Collectors Edition, but my estimate there is a > 99.9% chance this won't be made.

Yah, It'll work like for example, the Orange Box, Team Fortress or any Half-Life game.
The only difference between buying the digital version and the retail one, is that with the store version instead of downloading you use the CD to install (good for when you have a slow connection/limitted bandwith). You have to register the game through steam, no matter what; pretty much identical to the previous 'enter your code here', only it requires you to download steam.
After that registration, you don't need the disc, or an internet connection, to play. Should you lose/damage the disc, you can just download Civ again through steam.
If you want to play on another PC, install steam on it, log in with your name/password, get the games through download or by copying your games with a USB stick (steam has a map where all your games are stored), and you can play the games.
AAaanyway, let's not make this into a "what's steam" or "we hate steam" thread.

I do want my boxed collector's edition!
Edit: Damn you ninja's!

I would like a boxed version (with babylon of course). Collectors edition. I prefer the fancy packaging over a cardboard box. I like the metal box that Dragon Age came in. I bought Civ4 collector edition as well. That included the soundtrack on CD which was cool. When you see the 2 versions sitting side by side at the store, it's hard not to buy the collectors edition.

It's balls-ups like this that kind of have me worried over the quality of the game.

btw, frostyboy, why do you have my Apolyton username AND the exact avatar (that I had personally made)?!

Hey just saw the collections Ed box in EB games in Sydney Australia. Has the making off DVD, soundtrack, art box which looks huge plus some cool looking metal figurines 5 of them. Who can say big mechs now. No price though and didn't have a chance to take a photo. Will post one when I can.

Top Bottom