Is this an Exploit?

MeteorPunch said:
I wasn't saying we shouldn't ban things - I just haven't seen anything in Civ 4 worthy of being banned. Moonsinger's deity strategy is exploitive of unbalanced design: overpowered Praetorians and forest chops and a broken system of anarchy. Do I think it should be banned? No - it's part of the game, same as the forest chops for workers/settlers.

Well, as I posted in the Moonsinger thread, perpetual anarchy seems to me the poster child for a ban. It's easy to identify and draw a clear line against (the difference between a game where you're constantly in anarchy and running at negative gold, and a normal game, is pretty obvious); it's based on an oversight by the designers (who it seems to me clearly didn't realize that the "one turn to remedy your deficit" could be exploited by immediately returning to anarchy, or that requiring 5 turns between allowable anarchies could be exploited by stretching out each anarchy to last for 5 turns), not to mention a clear bug (the 5-turns-between-anarchies should be scaled to larger values at Epic and Marathon speeds); and it gives a huge advantage (at least for certain game objectives).

RCP is somewhere in the middle (significant advantage, seems to violate some design goals, but hard to ban).

The one-turn switch/chop/switch is down at the bottom (minimal advantage, unclear relation to design goals, hard to ban).

ainwood said:
No, Moonsinger's strategy exploits a flaw in the way the anarchy / revolt turns are set, and essentially bypasses the major mechanism designed to limit growth.
That's what I said - a broken system of anarchy.

DaviddesJ said:
Well, as I posted in the Moonsinger thread, perpetual anarchy seems to me the poster child for a ban. It's easy to identify and draw a clear line against (the difference between a game where you're constantly in anarchy and running at negative gold, and a normal game, is pretty obvious); it's based on an oversight by the designers (who it seems to me clearly didn't realize that the "one turn to remedy your deficit" could be exploited by immediately returning to anarchy, or that requiring 5 turns between allowable anarchies could be exploited by stretching out each anarchy to last for 5 turns), not to mention a clear bug (the 5-turns-between-anarchies should be scaled to larger values at Epic and Marathon speeds); and it gives a huge advantage (at least for certain game objectives).
Sure you make gains, but there are also huge losses: only 2-3 techs researched, strategy mostly available only to Rome, but lesser to Swordsman civs, and if you don't execute properly it is likely that much of your army will be disbanded. It's a huge risk with huge possible gains.

I would say that the anarchy issue should be banned (or fixed). The design of anarchy is presumably meant to be a negative impact on changing civics, not a positive impact on upkeep, maintenance, support, and supply costs. The design of upkeep, maintenance, support, and supply are intended to financially place limitations on expansion.

MeteorPunch said:
Sure you make gains, but there are also huge losses: only 2-3 techs researched, strategy mostly available only to Rome, but lesser to Swordsman civs, and if you don't execute properly it is likely that much of your army will be disbanded. It's a huge risk with huge possible gains.

So what? I don't see how this is at all relevant to whether something should be banned.

If I found an exploit that let you build a spaceship and launch it in 3000 BC, but it also had huge disadvantages (e.g., it prevents you from accumulating any culture, or it requires that you build no military units, or whatever), should it therefore be allowed? Or suppose I found an exploit that only works 1 time in 10, giving you a huge advantage, but 90% of the time it immediately loses the game. Because it's risky, should we therefore let people do it? That doesn't make any sense to me.

So what? I don't see how this is at all relevant to whether something should be banned.
I was showing that it is a calculated risk for huge gains or losses. It is relevant to whether something should be banned because I consider it a valid, but risky strategy.
If I found an exploit that let you build a spaceship and launch it in 3000 BC, but it also had huge disadvantages (e.g., it prevents you from accumulating any culture, or it requires that you build no military units, or whatever), should it therefore be allowed?
Or suppose I found an exploit that only works 1 time in 10, giving you a huge advantage, but 90% of the time it immediately loses the game. Because it's risky, should we therefore let people do it? That doesn't make any sense to me.
These are both extremely absurd comparisons. Nothing of this scope has been discovered, and if it was Firaxis would remove it quickly. Rediculous I say. :p

jar2574 said:
I like your definition.

And though chop-switch may fit this definition, like you said, the costs of banning something can be too high. And here the costs would be too high IMO.

Ditto! That is indeed a good definition. Not perfect, of course, but far less subjective than any others I have pondered. It is also the exact reason why--for me personally--I felt switch/chop was ok, but switch/chop/switch to maintain growth was not. I just didn't realize that was the reason until David wrote it out. :)

MeteorPunch said:
I was showing that it [Perpetual Anarchy] is a calculated risk for huge gains or losses. It is relevant to whether something should be banned because I consider it a valid, but risky strategy.

It seems you are saying that it doesn’t matter to you that the anarchy strategy “exploits a loophole that bypasses a restriction the designers intended to impose.” Is that really how you feel?

Assuming that is indeed the case, what about it’s impact on future GoTMs? For example, if only one strong player uses perpetual anarchy in 4oTM 2, everyone who wants to come close to their victory date/score will have to use the exploit as well (or some similar exploit that hasn't been uncovered yet). That would detract greatly from the competition, the game comparisons, and the fun.

I personally think this quote gets to the heart of the debate.

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
The one-turn switch/chop/switch is down at the bottom (minimal advantage, unclear relation to design goals, hard to ban).

This exploit is best defined as a one-turn switch/chop/switch. I agree completely with BradleyFeanor that switch/chop is ok and in my mind something that the game designers would have allowed for.

The switch/chop/switch in a turn has come from a clever palyer taking advantage of what originally was in the game design.

It is important to note that this tactic gives minimal advantage at best. You have to play in a style that puts chops towards settlers and workers and not wonders. I have no problem using food for settlers especially when I have such resources as pigs.

With fast growth damaging in civ4 I don't see a groundbreaking use for this tactic that will guarantee that those who use it will finish 500 years ahead of those who don't.

Until this is proved otherwise, my vote definately goes down the line that this 'exploit' should not be banned.

Very cool discussion indeed. :)

Indeed, hopefully, the anarchy bug would be fixed in the next patch.

On the other hand, it seems that the game mechanics is rather complicated and definition of exploits is not a straightforward and easy task. While looking at Civ3 experience, many if not all of the players at least in the SG forum would agree that the RBCiv rules were the first to appear and the best to cover the most loopholes in the game. While in general, RBCiv rules were considered to give a substantial disadvantage to a human player against the AI compared to the GOTM rules, it does not seem to be always the case.

Same goes to Civ3 PBEM/MP rules and exploits.

Sorry, returning back to the topic of the thread. Grow/chop does not seem to give any substantial advantage imho. Indeed, it is a disadvantage under certain circumstances. :confused:

bradleyfeanor said:
That is indeed a good definition.

I'm afraid it is not a good definition. You're already mangled up in nonsense as soon as you start to debate something on the grounds of some other person's intent.
The same was seen here, and thats the problem with the bulk of this thread, did they intend to stop growth or just simplify the process? It doesn't matter, and we shouldn't care. What are the practical values of the strategy, is it excessive or reasonable, is it balanced in line with its power?

Also if the designer intended a different design than we may see a patch correct it, so we will let Firaxis who know their intent deal with fixing the game to match their intent. Otherwise staff needs to just make a stance and us deal with it. They have.

And, ignoring that aspect, in a practical sense we really do not care about the designer's intent. GOTM is a competition and competitions have to make rules to be fair to all players. Some things that are fair are most likely going to be less fun for some people, Firaxis wants a fun game, not necessarily a fair game so those goals are going to be at odds at some point or another. Just look at how the game was scored in Civ3 and the later creation of a more fair scoring system. This plainly illustrates this point.

I've seen someone reason that reloading should be allowed as its clearly a designer intent and no accident that we can save and load games!?! So you see that intent is a bad thing to be used as a definition.

The switch/chop/switch in a turn has come from a clever palyer taking advantage of what originally was in the game design.
Right, there is no way this could have "got past testing" and thus, uninteded. Anyone who's played a solid week or so should become aware of this move being available.
It seems you are saying that it doesn’t matter to you that the anarchy strategy “exploits a loophole that bypasses a restriction the designers intended to impose.” Is that really how you feel?
How I feel? :D Yes I'm somewhat playing devil's advocate here. No Firaxis employee has stated that this was against their intentions, so until then it is assumed that it is just bad design that was meant to be, or just overlooked.

I just think there is a rush to judgement here. There could be dozens of similar strategies to the one Moonsinger outlined. Let someone (Moonsinger) use this strategy for Gotm 2 - I'd love to see the results. It may work great with swords (if there is Iron), it may not. She could crash and burn for all we know. This has hardly been tested and yet it's instantly thrown out the window. Who has shown how well this works on a continents map? Who has shown what happens when you can't capture the Pyramids early? What happens when you can't choose who your oppenents are? There is a big difference betweeen starting next to Cleo and Monte. This move has been judged and condemned because of it's spectacular effects in a very contained scenario.

Assuming that is indeed the case, what about it’s impact on future GoTMs? For example, if only one strong player uses perpetual anarchy in 4oTM 2, everyone who wants to come close to their victory date/score will have to use the exploit as well (or some similar exploit that hasn't been uncovered yet). That would detract greatly from the competition, the game comparisons, and the fun.
How do we define fun? Moonsinger didn't mind it. You can argue that for some to play competitively and manage every detail is not fun for some, yet others thrive on it. Some people think Ship-chaining is not fun. Some think RCP is not fun. I personally don't know if I'd use this strategy...might be fun to try, might not. Let's see someone use this strategy effectively before we deem it the, "overpowered-all-encompassing-must-use-exploit/strategy-to-win-militarily-and-it's-not-fair-technique."

No offence to anyone here because I have a lot of respect for the GOTM staff and players, but I think the call to ban and the ban itself has been rushed. This may be the right decision, but who knows. Perhaps with more testing in the coming weeks it will be more fully understood or patched and lost forever. :)

Smirk said:
I'm afraid it is not a good definition. You're already mangled up in nonsense as soon as you start to debate something on the grounds of some other person's intent...GOTM is a competition and competitions have to make rules to be fair to all players.

Hey, you only quoted the first part of what I said! You left out the "It's not perfect, of course" part. ;) I should have further clarified that I think David's definition is a good definition of any game exploit, not a definition of an exploit that should be banned, which is what I think you are talking about in your post when you refer to fairness.

I should not have asked for the definition of an exploit that should be banned (although it did lead to some good discussion). As Aeson pointed out, a definition really isn't possible if the standard of judgment is that everyone must agree from their own relative point of view. For banning an exploit, criteria are more important than a definition. You, David, and many others have given criteria: giving an unfair advantage, violating game design, being able to rule on it, etc. And, more importantly for us, the GoTM staff does a great job of deciding what is harmful to the competition and what isn’t.

The reason I so like David’s definition of an exploit (again, any exploit, not just banned ones) was because I was having difficulty pinning down why I felt okay about switch/chop but not about switch/chop/switch. I have had similar difficulty with other game techniques in Civ 1-4 in the past. I have tried to define an exploit based on fun, fairness, being overpowered, etc, but every time I try to base it on those things, a few of the exploits are left out of the mix. In particular, this one (switch/chop/switch), gets left out. That is one of the things that makes this thread interesting.

For me, the chop/switch/chop technique, RCP, palace jumping, and many others are not addressed by any definition that focuses on being "fair" or "overpowered". David's definition is the only one I have heard that characterizes these exploits and every other I know of.

Smirk said:
in a practical sense we really do not care about the designer's intent.

I think you and I must view the phrase “designer’s intent” in very different ways. For me, violating the designer’s intent is synonymous with finding a loophole that circumvents the intended rules of the game, like moving my rook in chess when my opponent isn’t looking.

As you said, deducing someone’s intent can be a mess, but it isn’t quite so bad with a game designer. Much of the time their intent is obvious due to the mechanisms they put in place. Anarchy and city maintenance, for example, are obviously there to limit growth. If you circumvent them, then you have “used a technique that the designers intended to disallow.” Or rather, you moved your rook when they weren't looking.

As for the "someone" you mention that argued for allowing reloads based on designer intent...well, I know someone who thinks he's Jesus Christ, and I wouldn't recommend wasting time trying to debate with either of those guys about anything.

MeteorPunch said:
This move has been judged and condemned because of it's spectacular effects in a very contained scenario.

Wrong. The people who think this should be disallowed think you shouldn't be able to avoid the effects of negative cash by perpetual anarchy. It's entirely unrelated to how well it works. If she can achieve exactly the same "spectacular effects" by razing cities selectively, that's just fine with me. I'm not forming an opinion based on the effects; I'm forming an opinion based on the mechanism. And so are (as far as I can see) all of the other people who have posted about it, including those who make the rules here.

Edit: OK, most of the people. I see that some people have advanced different reasons and theories. Nevertheless, I think the main theory (and that of the GOTM staff) is that it is exploitative because it is exploitative (and it seems like it depends on a bug in the anarchy system). Nothing to do with how well it works (except of course that if it never worked at all in any way there would be no point in a ban).

MeteorPunch said:
I just think there is a rush to judgement here. There could be dozens of similar strategies to the one Moonsinger outlined. Let someone (Moonsinger) use this strategy for Gotm 2 - I'd love to see the results. It may work great with swords (if there is Iron), it may not. She could crash and burn for all we know...

I see your point: it would be entertaining to see how the strategy would fare (although I think the chances of success are high--very high if its Moonsinger). But, unfortunately, the perpetual anarchy strategy doesn't have to be used to such extreme measures as she used. It can also be used as an "escape hatch" for someone who goes conquesting and overruns their economy. Essentially, I think it would make it easier to win in spite of sloppy play. Although the individual using the strategy might find it fun, it would certainly detract from the competition for many others.

DaviddesJ said:
Wrong. The people who think this should be disallowed think you shouldn't be able to avoid the effects of negative cash by perpetual anarchy.
I totally agree with that, but as for now it is part of the game and hasn't been proven as to how effective this can be in varied circumstances.
BradleyFeanor said:
But, unfortunately, the perpetual anarchy strategy doesn't have to be used to such extreme measures as she used. It can also be used as an "escape hatch" for someone who goes conquesting and overruns their economy.
Sounds interesting. The drawback would be that you must more or less make use of what you have, militarily, perhaps getting some new units from the remaining forests and poprushing (lowers score though).

MeteorPunch said:
I totally agree with that, but as for now it is part of the game and hasn't been proven as to how effective this can be in varied circumstances.

As of now it's not part of the GOTM, and I assume it will be banned for the HOF as well. I would also guess that the loophole will be at least partially closed in the next patch (at the very least, it seems clear to scale the turns between revolutions according to game speed, which will eliminate the effect of making this easier to pull off at Epic or Marathon).

Of course, at home, you can do whatever you want.

How effective it is, I don't care at all. It's like, if you told me you found a way to get Civ4 to divide by 0 and give you 2147483647 shields, I wouldn't really care about exactly how effective you would be at using that to win. It's just totally uninteresting to me. But, if someone else has fun figuring it out, they should go for it.

DaviddesJ said:
As of now it's not part of the GOTM, and I assume it will be banned for the HOF as well.

For the Beta-HOF it has not been banned, as stated by Superslug. You'll notice in his post that judgement hasn't yet been decided for the permanent HOF.

bradleyfeanor said:
As for the "someone" you mention that argued for allowing reloads based on designer intent...well, I know someone who thinks he's Jesus Christ, and I wouldn't recommend wasting time trying to debate with either of those guys about anything.

LMAO :lol:

DaviddesJ said:
I'm not forming an opinion based on the effects; I'm forming an opinion based on the mechanism. And so are (as far as I can see) all of the other people who have posted about it, including those who make the rules here.

Edit: OK, most of the people.

If you added that "most" because of my post, you needn't have bothered. The bottom line for me is that perpetual anarchy circumvents an intended game mechanism as well.

I was responding to MeteorPunch, who's post dealt directly with effects. I wanted to make sure that no one thought perpetual anarchy had to be used in only the way Moonsinger used it. It could be used in many, many different ways: some effective, some not, and some risky, some not. But ultimately that has no bearing on why I support it being banned.

Top Bottom