Is This Exploitive?

Minimum wage in NM is now $12/hr. Fast food workers though are being hired at $15+.

Now yes almost back to normal.

The tourist traps areas are struggling with staff though. They're complaining as there's essentially no locals, limited services eg closed places and longer wait times.

They've essentially ruuined a few places I can observe in my lifetime even from 30 years ago.

I'm glad the numbers are rising. I love to travel and need it to become normalised again.

I'm glad the numbers are rising. I love to travel and need it to become normalised again.

Well the locals are getting sick of it. Part if the tourist thing is local culture etc.

In the tourist traps areas here there's no locals to interact with they got priced out years ago.

Well no locals tourists can easily interact with.

It's a problem globally, court the tourist dollar and you'll get overrun.

Here it's kinda worse. The local councils are run by NIMBYs and it's essentially unregulated. Combined with cultural tendencies of "she'll be right".

Overseas resorts often provide worker accomodation for example. Here they'll charge through the nose for it then wonder why they can't get workers.

"She'll be right" though only worked with smaller numbers eg very few tourists and everyone on same page culturally.

In the 90's people would help tourists out with things like free food, accomodations, activities. That's rapidly disappearing.

Foreigners thought we're insane. "You don't lick your doors and you invite hitchhikers to stay the night".

Overseas resorts often provide worker accomodation for example. Here they'll charge through the nose for it then wonder why they can't get workers.
That's how it is here in Banff. They need workers, but good luck with them finding anywhere to live. It's not like they can just build another apartment building there; construction is limited in national parks due to environmental impact issues. Even the nearby town of Canmore has space problems, since you're not legally allowed to live in Banff unless you own a business there or work there.

If they got reliable bus service from Calgary to Banff, people could live in Calgary and commute. But Calgary's pricey, too.

That's how it is here in Banff. They need workers, but good luck with them finding anywhere to live. It's not like they can just build another apartment building there; construction is limited in national parks due to environmental impact issues. Even the nearby town of Canmore has space problems, since you're not legally allowed to live in Banff unless you own a business there or work there.

If they got reliable bus service from Calgary to Banff, people could live in Calgary and commute. But Calgary's pricey, too.

If you lived her you probably couldn't find an apartment or a car friendly one as no pets is now the default. 65+ might be able to get a granny flat with fixed rent.

Prices here are more or less stable in terms of service and gocerceries that mhe like that but minimum wage is the same.

Businesses are slowly starting to figure out they need to pay more at the lower end. There's been a hot of imtetnsl migration but for sure me reason the big city dwellers seem to think we live in the boondocks or something.

If you lived her you probably couldn't find an apartment or a car friendly one as no pets is now the default. 65+ might be able to get a granny flat with fixed rent.

Prices here are more or less stable in terms of service and gocerceries that mhe like that but minimum wage is the same.

Businesses are slowly starting to figure out they need to pay more at the lower end. There's been a hot of imtetnsl migration but for sure me reason the big city dwellers seem to think we live in the boondocks or something.
I think you meant cat friendly, not car friendly. Car friendly isn't a concern to me as I don't drive. Disabled transit-friendly is a definite concern. Next time someone decides to do unloading in the handicapped parking zone here, I won't bother asking them to move. I'll just report them to the bylaw enforcement. The fines aren't cheap anymore (last time they tried to tell me the manager said they could park there... I had to try to maneuver across half the friggin' parking lot because the bus couldn't get close enough).

There are several tiers of seniors here and they can come with various benefits. I'm entitled to a 20% discount on certain days at a particular pharmacy for being over 55. There's a property management company that gives a break to tenants over 50 (none of the buildings are disabled-accessible, so that's useless for me). There's a pet store chain that has seniors' discounts every month.

Common sense isn't, to many businesses. If they don't pay a living wage, who do they imagine will be their customers?

Essential services workers are having trouble finding housing here too.

In tourist areas it's put down to housing that was previously on the rental market is now used as Air BNB.

Top Bottom