It wont start

Can you be more specific? Do you get an error message, if so what is it? Or does nothing happen at all? In that case, can you check if there is a Civ4BeyondSword.exe process in your task manager?

Sometimes it just takes a long time for it to launch due to how much memory it takes up. Or something like that. Whenever you see me posting on the boards, it's because I have 10-30 minutes to wait until the program just DECIDES to start. Even though it shows it's hopping along in my processes. Oh hey here it goes! See ya guys.

Same on my PC (an aging Win7 laptop with i5 CPU and 8 Gb RAM but a hard drive and a mediocre 1600x900 video card) - DoC takes nearly 10 minutes to fire up. I can watch the process grow in Task Manager as it gradually puts itself together. Fortunately it's just slow on startup - once it's running, loading and saving games works as expected. DoC is the only mod I've encountered that is this slow to start; RFC itself is fast. RFCEurope takes a couple of minutes, but nowhere near as long as DoC.

The reason that other mods load faster is because they have packed the art files in an fpk file. The downside of that is that that method uses much more memory, the game itseld runs slower and the risks of MAFs is higher.

Loading the mod for the second time is much faster than the first time, as many things are already in the cache.

Exactly. It's basically the decision to have all the loading time up front or whenever a particular graphic is needed. So the observation you have made is a direct consequence of the long loading time. DoC cannot afford to do it the other way around because too much is going on in the game, especially in the late game. However, increasing the priority of the task while it is loading can accelerate the loading process.

I have a brand new gaming PC and DoC:CMC sometimes takes a few good minutes to load sometimes, I have to wonder whether I skipped the second click on my double click.

Well, History Rewritten (another mod) takes around 30 minutes to load on my PC.

I have a brand new gaming PC and DoC:CMC sometimes takes a few good minutes to load sometimes, I have to wonder whether I skipped the second click on my double click.

Civ4 is restricted to using a single core, so modern PCs aren't able to load or run mods like DoC and HR all that much faster than older PCs. CPU development over the last decade or so has been focused on adding more cores and thermal efficiency. Individual core speed hasn't improved all that much. Faster GPUs and RAM don't help much either because Civ4 has never been updated to take advantage of the new features. There's nothing mod developers can do about this, other than packing all the art, but as Leoreth says, this comes at the price of memory issues (Civ4 can't access more than 2 to 4GB).

Actually getting a new computer can even make things worse for you. I'm currently looking for a new laptop and noticed that my current dual core has a higher clock rate per core than some of the offered quad cores, even though they are of course much faster for any properly parallelised program.

So in DoC 2.0 you will be implementing your own computer software to combat this?

We are not constrained by technical limits but legal ones.

So..... is that a yes?
Yes. After the communist world revolution has done away with such petty bourgeois concepts as "intellectual property", DoC will finally fulfill its potential.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Just named the directory wrong. XD

Last edited:
Takes me 20-30 min to load the mod. I appreciate it, it helps with my impulse control.

This should get better with time.

Does anyone have any experience with AMD ryzen chips? I can get the mod to work but it is very flaky I got the Memory error once, but it usually just exits game as soon as the map appears.

Hello Fellow Civ-Fans,

First of all, thank you for the work done on this mod, I have heard about it by a friend, taken a look on youtube, and have reinstalled civ IV in order to give it a try
Sadly,I have the exact same issue as the name of this thread : It won't start. So, please allow me to dig it up instead of polluting the bug report thread... as it's no a bug "per say".

To be more specific, the game starts fine, but the mod doesn't load.When I'm in BTS, I go, as usual, in advanced/load a mod, select RFC Dawn of Civilization, which quit the game in order to load the mod... and nothing happens. I'm back on the desktop, and the task manager indicates that civ4 is off. no error message, no crash report, nada... I'm back ot the desktop as if I did not started the game.
I tried to launch BTS using admin mod... but nope. Same when trying to launch the mod via the "Dawn of Civilization" shortcut, via the .exe directly in Civ folder, in admin mode, in compatibility mode.... nothing appears to be working.

First, I thougth that perhaps the mod didn't install correctly, so I tryed copying the develop folder from git-hub... same issue. I tryed reinstalling all three Civ game... nothing... I totally fail to understand why...

The mod is (apparently) correctly installed in the BTS mod Folder
The game is installed on my C:, in English version to minimise compatibility issues
I'm playing with a non-steam version of the game (Cvi 4 1.74, Warlord 2.13, BTS 3.03), Mod is ver. 1.15 installed automatically via the .exe available on this very website
Gaming rig is a Win 7 x64, Dual core 4.00Ghz CPU with 16.0Go of RAM and Dual Radeon R9 Tri-X
Other installed mods are working fine... for BTS, there are : Afterworld; Broken Star; Charlemagne; Crossroads of the World; Defense; FfH Age of Ice; Final Frontier; Gods of Old; Next War; RFC Dawn of Civilization (I put it heere just to check that the bloody name is correct); Rhye's and Fall of Civilization; The Road to War. I tried deleting them all and keeping only RFC-DC, but nope, still crashing

I've been looking throught the forum for similar issues, and sadly there appear to be no answer other than "check the folder name"... if you gut any clue, I'd gladly take them.

Regards.

Top Bottom