Italy

Cultural continuity is an illusion, if we're talking about millenia.

Is it an illusion? Well, the whole game of Civilization is based on the very idea of cultural continuity throughout the millennia. Take the Old Kingdom versus Cleopatra's Egypt. There are three thousand years in between them, yet RFC represents them as being the "same civilization". Illusion? Maybe. But then so is the idea that the game has any historical basis whatsoever.

By that I mean that yes, Italians can think they were descendants of ancient Romans (no doubt genetically admixed with a little Goth, Lombard, Germanic and Gallic DNA, if one can even racially type-cast DNA), and the language wouldn't be there if it weren't for Latin. The institutions (be it senates or laws) might be called the same, but the ideas behind them that make them work on a day-to-day basis are different.

Well, some modern ideas/institutions/etc. are very different the ways of the ancient’s, others less so. Cultural continuity is not an "all-or-nothing" matter, but it comes into degrees. There can be more or less continuity, and nobody ever claimed that the continuity from ancient Rome to modern Italy is a perfect one. It's a comparative matter: there seems to be more continuity from Rome to Italy than there is, say, from Roman Britain to the United Kingdom.

I can read classical Chinese, but do I really know what the author meant?

I don't buy this idea of cultural incommensurability, whereby we cannot really understand the "cultures of the past". When I read classical Latin I’d like to think that I know (more or less) what the author meant.

So yes, by all means Italy should spawn in Rome's spot, but no, it should not be a respawn of Rome.

Why not? Since Italy spawns in Rome's spot, why not give Rome a face-lift and turn it into Italy? From a coding perspective, that seems a lot easier than adding an entirely new civilization.

Sorry, I'm late on getting into this lively debate :mischief: but I don't see the point some of you people have here

To boil this down: One person saw the need to tweak one civ in the 600AD start only because that person thought it would be more accurate and that person brought it up here to presumably ask for someone else to help him/her
Some people agreed with the original poster, but others, who didn't agree, decided to try and persuade the first group that the change wouldn't benefit the game (or were completely confused about the proposed change in the first place :lol: )
In the end, nobody has done anything to help the original poster except for a few posts with related tweaks

Really people, if someone can do the tweaks then why not? If only one person wants the tweaks, then so what?

As for the first post, Zachscape, I'm sorry, I cannot help you with anything you can already do, but I wouldn't mind (and I'm sure you wouldn't either) if someone who can do these tweaks would help a few RFC fanatics out!

(I, too have had a proposal for a new feature for Civ IV shot down because...who knows why...but I know your feeling of being 'ignored')

Why not? Since Italy spawns in Rome's spot, why not give Rome a face-lift and turn it into Italy? From a coding perspective, that seems a lot easier than adding an entirely new civilization.

You mean to keep its UP (a little dated for railroads), UB (excellent for a newly spawned civ) and UU (absolutely useless against rifles)? If not that is more than just a facelift.

I'm happy for you that you knew what, say, Ovid meant (I think I do too), but what you imagine may not be what he meant in the first place, and certainly not the same as what the Renaissance thought of him. What I remember of Foucault and his History of Sexuality made me doubtful that anything other than historicism is the way to read classics.

Sorry, I'm late on getting into this lively debate but I don't see the point some of you people have here

To boil this down: One person saw the need to tweak one civ in the 600AD start only because that person thought it would be more accurate and that person brought it up here to presumably ask for someone else to help him/her
Some people agreed with the original poster, but others, who didn't agree, decided to try and persuade the first group that the change wouldn't benefit the game (or were completely confused about the proposed change in the first place )
In the end, nobody has done anything to help the original poster except for a few posts with related tweaks

Really people, if someone can do the tweaks then why not? If only one person wants the tweaks, then so what?

As for the first post, Zachscape, I'm sorry, I cannot help you with anything you can already do, but I wouldn't mind (and I'm sure you wouldn't either) if someone who can do these tweaks would help a few RFC fanatics out!

(I, too have had a proposal for a new feature for Civ IV shot down because...who knows why...but I know your feeling of being 'ignored')
The reason I'm still discussing this is because Rhye showed an interest in the idea, and I take that to mean that he might implement it in RFC.

You mean to keep its UP (a little dated for railroads), UB (excellent for a newly spawned civ) and UU (absolutely useless against rifles)? If not that is more than just a facelift.

I'm happy for you that you knew what, say, Ovid meant (I think I do too), but what you imagine may not be what he meant in the first place, and certainly not the same as what the Renaissance thought of him. What I remember of Foucault and his History of Sexuality made me doubtful that anything other than historicism is the way to read classics.
I have nothing against creating new civs for the 600AD start, but don't you agree that the other "re-spawns" should get new UHVs, UBs and UUs as well then, or be replaced by other civs?
I'm asking this for the 4th time because if it's going to be implemented in RFC, we need consistency in the concepts.

Personally Im for the argument that a re spawned Rome is Italy again the cultural continuality seems obvious to be. (ie core area, language, religion, capital etc...)

I cant really see why there is an argument even. Many other civs can respawn again and again are considered to be the same CIV ie china / india.

I think the only argument come from 2 perspectives.

1. Most of us arguing here are Europeans and therefore are somewhat ignorant of how other cultures change through time, ie persia, china, egypt, india.
From the outside its looks like a permanent mono culture. I work at a University in London so I know plenty of Indians who've come over to Europe for the first time. I remember one guy saying this after he'd been he for a while
"oh its quite different in different parts of Europe a lot like in India".

2. Rome is somewhat special in that in became a European/Mediterranean superstate and a successor state to many other civ's. But essentially it was a Latin/Italian State with an empire.

And a last point. It HAS to be brought up it can be NO coincidence that this argument always turns up about italy/rome and the creator of the mod and several important contributors ARE ITALIANS. Too much of a coincidence for my liking.

There has also been a couple of comment that the Roman/Italian UP/UB/UU are useless in the modern age.

Thats the point the Latin culture centered on the Italian peninsular has never reached the heights it did in Roman times. Hence its powers/units/buildings are based in classical times like egypts units are based in ancient times.

The reason I'm still discussing this is because Rhye showed an interest in the idea, and I take that to mean that he might implement it in RFC.

From Rhye;
I am currently involved in RFGW, so it has to be some of you for now to make a modmod.

I have nothing against creating new civs for the 600AD start, but don't you agree that the other "re-spawns" should get new UHVs, UBs and UUs as well then, or be replaced by other civs?
No

Can someone who wants this please just make the mod so that this fruitless discussion can end and discussants can judge for themselves how good the idea is.

Okay, so you agree that if we change Rome to Italy in the 600AD start, we should change Greece, Egypt, Carthage, Persia, Babylonia and India as well?

It's just that you are over-selling your argument. If you notice, I never said that Italians were Romans. I just said that Italy and Rome share many things, like: Core territory, the mountains and rivers, olives and wine, the climate, some institutions, law, the language is similar, Christianity, the capital Roma, geo-strategic position and geographic location and so on and so forth. That's why it's silly to create an entirely new civ, when almost all other of the ancient/classical civs are equally disjointed from their later "successor" cultures.

Yes it's silly, I already confirmed this. In fact, this thread was about creating a NEW CIV for the 600 AD start. It isn't about RE-SPAWNING a civ. Also to those who are tired of the discussion on wether Italy can represent the Roman Empire or vice versa: do not read this thread past a certain point. The original thread has been addressed already and Zach said at one point that he was almost done with the mod. He was helped with suggestions, linked to other discussions on the same matter, etc. The thread then took another route since the first one was pretty much dead and it is now a different discussion that is merely a social/historical one, something perfectly normal and acceptable in the forum of a mod that has historical realism as one of its focuses. Again if you don't like the route the thread has taken, don't read it, and if you would like to contribute to the original post I am sure none will try to stop you with comments such as "lively discussion".

I think you have missed the point. The proposal is as follows: to overcome the hard limit on number of civs, ancient civs should re-spawn as modern civs.

And who has determined this ? You ? IMHO civs re-spawn for gameplay reasons and because they historically did. More than one civ lost its indipendence in the course of history, but maintained its cultural indipendence and came back as an indipendent nation. The Roman civilization lost its cultural indipendence and never came back in real History, however in RFC, which is a game, it could be possible for this to happen as much as it is possible for Arabia to found cities in South America.

It’s silly to object that the new and the old civ are not historically the "same" (whatever that means), for that misses the point entirely.

but YOU are the one who is objecting it, LOL. You do not agree that the Roman Empire could respawn as New Roman Empire, and instead ask that it respawns as Italy.

As far as I am concerned, Rome could re-spawn as Korea. It is, however, relatively simpler to make Rome re-spawn as Italy: same geographical location, less coding changes to make.

It's simpler to make it respawn as New Rome as it already does.

(Note: the term "re-spawn" is used correctly here, for the original and the re-spawned civ are in fact the "same" civilization is coding terms, albeit not in historical terms, in the sense that they take up the same slot and are assigned the same python constant.)

sorry but this doesn't hold water.

Sure, and Narni (Umbria) is even closer than Rome to the geographical center of Italy. Too bad Narni is not the capital. The main reason why Rome was chosen as capital was because of its historical importance dating back to the time of the Roman empire. Geographical centrality was certainly not the main reason.

Right. Sources ?

Of course they did. Haven’t you learnt by heart the Italian national anthem, composed in 1847? It says:

Fratelli d'Italia, l'Italia s'è desta,
dell'elmo di Scipio s'è cinta la testa

Brothers of Italy, Italy has awoken,
Binding her head with Scipio’s helmet

“Scipio” is, of course, the ancient Roman general Scipio Africanus.

1) Heh. 19th century, the century of Nationalism. Do you know what is nationalism ?
2) in 1847 Italy was all but united. This song was composed as an inspiration for the people to fight for the indipendence and unity. It is obvious that it quotes (very) past glories of another people since there is nothing else to say to make people's heart burn for "Italy", a country that hasn't existed in 1847 yet. But the fact that a poet, a composer, or a fascist makes such high, patriotic claims, doesn't really change History. They are only words said to inspire people, it is a hymn, not a History essay. You strumentalize this hymn as if it was an essay.
3) In case you haven't heard of it, this hymn is highly criticized exactly because of this content, because it speaks mainly of Rome instead of Italy. The reason is simply, it's outdated, and it was written before the birth of Italy, which is dated 1861, not 1848.

Italy was not just like any other province of the Empire, it was the core of the Empire.

1- Italy was more than one province
2- again the core of the Empire was ROME, not Italy.

“Italia” was the name given since the time of the Roman Republic to the whole peninsula. Thus Italia included Rome itself. Italic peoples were privileged within the Empire, for example: in the II century BC they were granted full Roman citizenship, a privilege that until 212AD was unique to them. In Roman times, the distinction between “Romans” and the “Italians” (gens italica) was not as sharp as you seem to think it was.

- the origins of the name predate the Romans.
- Italia still includes Rome. What's the point ? Even Europe, or Earth includes Rome.
- the citizenzhip should prove you that the core of the Roman Empire was Rome and not Italy.
- the peoples living in Italy in ancient history were Italic peoples, not Italian people. I do not think it, I am certain of it. Can you quote sources stating that Latini, or Romani were Italian peoples, rather than Italic peoples ?

None of this shows that there is no cultural continuity from ancient Rome to modern Italy. One of the major discontinuities was the invasion of Lombards that you have mentioned, but their influence was not sufficiently strong to sever the link and create an entirely new dominant culture.

The Longobards DID create a new culture, the one that evolved from the mix of Italic Peoples with Ostrogoths first, and with Logobards then. They couldn't create a unitary nation in Italy as they tried to, that's what I said.

The Lombards were quick to covert to the Roman’s religion and adopt their language. Even their laws, such as the edict of King Rotari, were written in Latin.

Sorry but this is really too much. Christianity now is the Romans' religion ? And in case you weren't aware of it, Latin was spoken throughout the Empire for long after its fall; while written Latin survived for centuries. It was then what is now English, an international language.

I don’t think that the cultural closeness between ancient Rome and modern Italy is comparable to that between Rome and modern Spain. True, the Roman influence on Spain was enormous (and some emperors, such as Trajan, were born in modern-day Spain). However, the cultural continuity from ancient Rome to modern Italy is many ways greater and more marked than that from Rome to Spain. After all Hispania was a collection of more or less peripheral provinces, whereas Italia was the beating heart of the empire.

only because of its location. You confuse territorial continuity with cultural continuity. Like TDK has said, Romans and Italians have in common, among many other things, olives and wine. Heh.

So why does Rome get the dynamic name “Nuovo Impero Romano”? If Rome and Italy and entirely different civilizations, don’t you think it’s a little strange to name police-state Rome after Mussolini’s dream?

No, I don't. Police State signs a change in era so why not change the name of the Empire ? What other name would you suggest instead ?

The cultural influence and continuity from ancient Rome to modern Italy is undeniable.

I continue to deny it and I think I have done a pretty good job until now :p
Note that I don't deny the cultural influence of ancient Rome on Italy or any other European country, I deny the cultural continuity and integrity from Rome to Italy. This is nonexistant, they are two different cultures and the results achieved by these two peoples show it pretty well :lol:

you want to teach us to that Italy and Rome are not the “same”, but in doing so, you needn’t downplay the importance of the Roman heritage.

Far from me to have this intention. Again the Roman heritage is something Italians have dear and should have even more dear, since it's stronger in Italy than anywhere else. However, Italians aren't Romans respawned. They didn't *really* put up Sciopio's helm. But I wouldn't want to hurt too much fascists dreams; after all everyone is entitled to have dreams.

Again it has to be said the people seem to most strongly think Rome and Italy are different Civ, ie onedreamer and Rhye are both Italian !!!! Therefore they see the differences most strongly and the similarities most weakly.

It has to be said to a certain extent defining what a Civ is somewhat arbitrary this is true but any way some arguments against one dreamer.

"1- Italy was more than one province
2- again the core of the Empire was ROME, not Italy."

So this is the same as China/Persia not all chinese or persian empires, centre of power were in the same place.

The Persian empire had many forms with many different capitals ie perepolis, Ctesiphon, Ecbatana, Tehran Tabriz, Qazvin, Esfahan etc ..

The chinese empire/empires again have had many capitals Xianyang, Chang'an , Xuchang, Beijing ,Bianjing etc ..

The point is although the power centre of the each dynasty comes from a different area of the Civ they have been considered to be successor states to the civ and therefore the same civ.

The funny thing is Rome/Italia the captial IS in the same ! So even more continuous than others.

"The Longobards DID create a new culture, the one that evolved from the mix of Italic Peoples with Ostrogoths first, and with Logobards then. They couldn't create a unitary nation in Italy as they tried to, that's what I said."

Again this is the same for other civ's Persia and China even changed religion. And the culture has been influenced from outside groups which are often internalized.

Persia ie arab+mongol influence China Mongol+Manchu infulence etc. Same thing for Rome/Italia taking on some germanic aspects.

"Sorry but this is really too much. Christianity now is the Romans' religion ? And in case you weren't aware of it, Latin was spoken throughout the Empire for long after its fall; while written Latin survived for centuries. It was then what is now English, an international language."

Well Christianity was the religion when the Roman Empire crumbled and it still was was Italy started what is your point ? This shows continuity.

I cant really see how Rome/Italy is different from

Qin/Han/Ming/Qing etc ...
Acaemedic/Parthian/Sassanid/ etc...

Can you please explain how Italy is a special case ?

Basically my argument is this

People who believe that Rome does not equal Italia probably do not know there Chinese/Persian/India history as well as they know their Italian history.

They therefore mistakenly believe there is more cultural continuity between the various empires in these countries than their really is.

In fact if anything there may well be more in common between Rome and Italy than these various dynasties.

Italy is definitely not the new Rome, however, respawned Rome is the closest thing RFC has to Italy, so it has a loose level of representation in it. The level of representation Italy has in RFC is less then the level of representation nations like USA have.

They therefore mistakenly believe there is more cultural continuity between the various empires in these countries than their really is.

In fact there is much discontinuity in Chinese culture between dynasties. From Qin to Western Jin the Han people predominated, then "barbarians" who were allowed to live in the north took over and from then on it's one "barbarian" people after another that took over the north, leading to development of the south as a political and economic "bastion" of Han culture against all these barbs (Jin (not the dynasty name), Mongol, Manchu). Even though these barbs took over the institutions of the Han (e.g. dynasties, examinations for official posts, even calling years by names assigned by emperors), they served more to make governing the local population easier. In fact, if there was something continuous, it was this drive to reestablish the "ideal" of Han peoples predominating again in the north and uniting China again without foreign rule (Tang, Ming, Sung dynasties).

And that's just for China with a continuous written script that has been in use for close to 2000 years (if we discount pre-Han written scripts). Think of how much cultural discontinuity there is between Rome, medieval Italy, Renaissance Italy and modern Italy. They may ASPIRE to recreating Rome just like the Chinese did, but to say that
In fact if anything there may well be more in common between Rome and Italy than these various dynasties.
is just like saying there's more in common between an amphora and a modern replica.

I really cant make out whether your agreeing or disagreeing with me.

"In fact there is much discontinuity in Chinese culture between dynasties. "

Here your agreeing with me, ok. But your've started the sentence with "In Fact" which normally suggests your taking the opposing point of view which your not.

"is just like saying there's more in common between an amphora and a modern replica. "

Ok there is more in common between an amphora and a modern replica than various Chinese dynasties ? But are you agreeing or disagreeing with me ?

Normally your written English and arguments are far clearer than mine AP but not here.

Another Pacifist said:

IMO, the minimal essential changes are the aesthetic ones: new dynamic names such as "Repubblica Italiana", modernized city names (Milano, Napoli), a new leaderhead, possibly a new flag. I have already made the textual changes in my custom version of RFC (but not the graphical ones). In addition to those, I'd welcome game play-changes too, such as new UP, UU, UB, and UHVs. However, since Italy as re-spawned Rome would not be playable, I don't think that those game-play changes are essential to the 3000BC start. As to the 600AD state, I agree with the OP that Rome should be replaced with a playable Italy with its own UP, UB, etc.

I haven't read the History of Sexuality, but I have read (part of) Madness and Civilization, and, though I have found it to be an interesting read, I personally tend to distrust anything that is associated with the so-called "structuralist" movement. (Well, Foucault dissociated himself from structuralism, but that's where he's coming from). Anyway, I am not convinced that historical conditions and peculiarities make the meaning of ancient texts somehow inaccessible to us.

OneDreamer said:
Roman civilization lost its cultural indipendence and never came back in real History, however in RFC, which is a game, it could be possible for this to happen as much as it is possible for Arabia to found cities in South America.

I disagree with that comparison. Perhaps it's historically possible for Arabia to have founded cities in South America. But I don't think it is historically possible for an ancient civilization to come back as such after centuries of non-existence. For the sake of historical credibility, I think it's better to turn the long-gone civilization into its closest modern counterpart.

sorry but this doesn't hold water.

Why not? I think we are using the word "re-spawn" in quite different ways. To you, if X re-spawns as Y, then X and Y must be historically the same civilization. To me, the term "re-spawn" merely refers to the game mechanics: X re-spawns as Y just in case Y pops up and takes up the same civ slot (same python constant) as X. If you don't like my use of the term just replace it with "multi-spawn" or whatever.

Right. Sources ?

I will quote Cavour himself on why Rome should be the capital: "Dal tempo dei Cesari al giorno d'oggi e' la storia di una citta la cui importanza si estende infinitamente al di la del suo territorio." ("From Caesars' times to the present day, [Rome's] history is the history of a city whose importance goes infinitely beyond its own territory".) In other words, according to the leading figure in Italian unification, Rome deserves be capital for its historical importance dating back to the time of the Roman empire.

Heh. 19th century, the century of Nationalism. Do you know what is nationalism ?... In case you haven't heard of it, this hymn is highly criticized exactly because of this content, because it speaks mainly of Rome instead of Italy. The reason is simply, it's outdated, and it was written before the birth of Italy, which is dated 1861, not 1848.

No doubt the Italian national anthem might be nationalist, naive, obsolete, or what have you... but the very fact that it's centred on the past glories of Rome proves my point. You said that "Italian people in the 19th century didn't look at the Romans to have an inspiration". That's plain wrong. Just look at the anthem. It was written in the 19th century and it looks at the ancient Romans for an inspiration.

Again the core of the Empire was ROME, not Italy

Form the time of the Republic to the early Empire, Italia (from Calabria to Rubicon) was not even a province, but the very territory of the city of Rome, which gave it special status. The idea that Italy need not have been the core of the Empire only began to develop in late antiquity, after Roman citizenship was granted to all freemen within the Empire. But until them Italia was the center of the Roman state, and very much unlike the peripheral provinces.

Sorry but this is really too much. Christianity now is the Romas' religion?

Yes, it is... since the time of the emperor Constantine, who, in the 4th Century, converted himself to Christianity. That is, at least, how the tradition goes.

the citizenzhip should prove you that the core of the Roman Empire was Rome and not Italy

Not at all. It shows that there was no sharp distinction between freemen living in Rome proper and other roman citizens who lived within the boundary of Italy. Until 212AD, both were supposed to enjoy the same unique privileges, unlike the people who lived in other parts of the empire.

No, I don't. Police State signs a change in era so why not change the name of the Empire ? What other name would you suggest instead ?
Actually, that dynamic name is fine with me. But in my custom version of the mod, police-state Rome is named "Fascist Italy".

after all everyone is entitled to have dreams
What dreams and ambitions you have is part of your culture. If, to take a telling example, Giuseppe Mazzini took himself as re-establishing the ancient Roman republic, then that gives to us a good indication of how the people of the time regarded their own cultural values in relation to those of their ancient predecessors. How else would you judge the cultural influences and continuity from one age to the other? But I can imagine OneDreamer travelling back in time to 1849 and teach Mazzini: "Gooday Giuseppe, congratulations for you efforts. But, you see, you are not *really* part of a triumvirate like those of ancient Rome... you see, Rome and Italy are not the same thing..."

LoneWolf said:
Italy is definitely not the new Rome, however, respawned Rome is the closest thing RFC has to Italy, so it has a loose level of representation in it.

I agree. RFC only allows for a coarse representation of the evolution from ancient to modern civilizations. Within such a loose and approximate model, there is little space for more detailed historical distinctions.

Top Bottom