Jabarto's Map Conversion Center

Hello Jabarto! I write you this as a open letter and not as a pm, because maybe other players/modders read it as well and also would like to answer it.

As we all know ROM is huge, so huge that you barely come to play industrial, modern or even future (at least playing at snail speed) and by late renaissance time most games are decided, even on higher difficulties- of course you can start a later age but unfortunately only fantasy maps work for later starts like modern.

I always wanted to start earth maps in later ages but wasn't able to do so as we all know they start in ancient times all the time if they arent scenarios. If of course, you open world builder and give all civs all techs for let's say industrial, and then save the worldbuilder file as a new scenario, wouldn't it be possible to have a industrial earth start then?

I once tried to include a 28 player - earth map (2.6 save) with lead, tea and shrimps so I would be able to play it in 2.7test1 but when I loaded the save it didn't work... :/

So if you say its possible I would suggest we could have

earth classical
earth medieval
earth renaissance
earth industrial
earth modern
and
earth future

map starts -
and please not the "larger europe" earth map of rhye - I hate it. First of all it has bad starting locations which also are random too (I like to start in germany if I play germans and not in south africa!!!) and secondly the ressources are scrambled randomly as well - elephants in mexico?!

Thx for reading it. Would like to help with the work if you say it's generally possible.
I also suggest that - for instance - a medieval start includes a nation to have a worker and a longbow maybe, while a industrial start has a colonist, a worker and a rifle man etc. ...

More suggestions are welcome!!!

If of course, you open world builder and give all civs all techs for let's say industrial, and then save the worldbuilder file as a new scenario, wouldn't it be possible to have a industrial earth start then?

It should be, yes.

I once tried to include a 28 player - earth map (2.6 save) with lead, tea and shrimps so I would be able to play it in 2.7test1 but when I loaded the save it didn't work... :/

So if you say its possible I would suggest we could have

earth classical
earth medieval
earth renaissance
earth industrial
earth modern
and
earth future

map starts -
and please not the "larger europe" earth map of rhye - I hate it. First of all it has bad starting locations which also are random too (I like to start in germany if I play germans and not in south africa!!!) and secondly the ressources are scrambled randomly as well - elephants in mexico?!

So just the starting techs, and not historically accurate starting positions? That should be easy.

By the way, the version of Rhye's map with enlarged Europe in my map pack has (realistic) preplaced resources and civs, if you didn't know. ;)

So just the starting techs, and not historically accurate starting positions? That should be easy.

Indeed... but historical positions would be even nicer of course - ;)

By the way, the version of Rhye's map with enlarged Europe in my map pack has (realistic) preplaced resources and civs, if you didn't know. ;)

Nice! Does it have 2.71 resources in it as well?

edit: just downloaded map pack and to my surprise all 2.7 versions! Nice!! Well gonna try it RDF enlarged europe again now (Hopefully industrial-like next time):D

I just edited the RFCenlargedEurope2.71 map you had in your mappack and added a arquebusier, a worker and all techs for ancient, classical and medieval as well as renaissance to each civ. Also included some storms.

So, if you wanna have a non-ancient start on a earth map (like me), there is one now... :D

Deity difficulty recommended.

Installation instructions:

Just unpack put the 2.71IndustrialRFCenlargedEurope.rar file into

.../beyondthesword/mods/riseofmankind/publicmaps, load ROM and pick the map in "single player" "custom scenario"

Have fun!

I just edited the RFCenlargedEurope2.71 map you had in your mappack and added a arquebusier, a worker and all techs for ancient, classical and medieval as well as renaissance to each civ. Also included some storms.

So, if you wanna have a non-ancient start on a earth map (like me), there is one now... :D

Deity difficulty recommended.

Installation instructions:

Just unpack put the 2.71IndustrialRFCenlargedEurope.rar file into

.../beyondthesword/mods/riseofmankind/publicmaps, load ROM and pick the map in "single player" "custom scenario"

Have fun!

Good work! I haven't forgotten about this little project, by the way, I've just been in a bit of a slump lately. I'll get to it sooner or later.

Good work! I haven't forgotten about this little project, by the way, I've just been in a bit of a slump lately. I'll get to it sooner or later.

Thx! Here a few test results of the modification: Civs emerge nearly perfectly equal (see screeny, taken at turn 421), only prob is that england (London) get's all religions due to the fact it's founded first, but all religions spread equally, at least in my game they did.

First summary: it's fun to play the map industrial like, although the start can be a bit slow, nevertheless challenging (at least on deity). I would like to get some feedback, like if someone has ideas to fix the starting date and turn/time progress so that it keeps up with history a bit? And how I can solve the religious capital bug maybe... ;)

btw. do storms dissolve after a while and aren't replaced somehow?

It just came to my attention that the Mediterranean Bonuses map is not included in my map pack, even though it was one of the first I converted. I'll update it soon, but right now I'm recovering from an appendectomy. :sad:

Ooh - ah - ouch!:(

Yeah. :(

Anyway, I'm almost back to normal, and that means more Civ 4 modding is in order! Since I've gotten all the feedback I'm probably going to get for my 160x130 Europe map, I'm finally going to convert that to ROM. I'll also update all of my other maps, of course, but there won't be any other new ones. I've pretty much plumbed the depths of what the CivFanatics map database has to offer, in terms of Earth maps. :lol:

Your maps are great Jabarto and it is good to see you recovered nicely:goodjob:.

Thanks!

I know I said I wouldn't be adding any new maps, but I have an idea for GEM. As a lark, I decided to make a version of it with only a few civs - like, 5 or 6 - and let BarbarianCiv and REvolution fill out the rest. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I was wondering if anyone else would have an interest in having a GEM with, say, India Greece, Sumeria, China, Native America, Inca, and Zulu civs only, with the rest being filled out by BarbarianCiv?

Thanks!

I know I said I wouldn't be adding any new maps, but I have an idea for GEM. As a lark, I decided to make a version of it with only a few civs - like, 5 or 6 - and let BarbarianCiv and REvolution fill out the rest. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I was wondering if anyone else would have an interest in having a GEM with, say, India Greece, Sumeria, China, Native America, Inca, and Zulu civs only, with the rest being filled out by BarbarianCiv?

HECK YES!!! That is my dream map! :D
:please::please::please:

But if you make these civs, make sure it is for Clasical era please. And add in Egypt and Rome.

Otherwise for the ancient era map, make these: China, Egypt, India, Babylon, Assyria, Sumeria.

HECK YES!!! That is my dream map! :D
:please::please::please:

But if you make these civs, make sure it is for Clasical era please. And add in Egypt and Rome.

Otherwise for the ancient era map, make these: China, Egypt, India, Babylon, Assyria, Sumeria.

Alright, how does this lineup sound for an Ancient map?

Egypt, Greece, Sumeria, India, and China? I think I'll leave the New World blank to speed up turn times.

dont have native america as a civ, they were nomads and should just be shown by tribal villages and barbarian units.

Point noted

Egypt, Greece, Sumeria, India, and China? I think I'll leave the New World blank to speed up turn times.
Well, I don' Greece is appropriate there but OK, if you want to do it that way. I'm a history major so it itches me wrong but since it is just a game, I don't mind that much :D.

Well, I don' Greece is appropriate there but OK, if you want to do it that way. I'm a history major so it itches me wrong but since it is just a game, I don't mind that much :D.

Really? I'm going into history myself! But yeah, it is a tad out of place. Maybe I'll take it out. I tend to forget that the Barbarian Civs will fill it out, so i was under the impression that Europe would have to be represented somehow.

Okay, I uploaded the version of GEM with only the following civs; Egypt, Sumeria, China, and India. It's in the first post. Unlike with most of the other maps, BarbCIv and REvolution are on by default (for obvious reasons) and it is recommended you keep it that way.

Also Sumeria is a bit north of where it should be. That's intentional, becasue otherwise they would have and absolutely sick starting postion.

I use RoM smartmap for most of my games. Most of the options I set to normal, I do override the size(usually play on enormous maps) and have a large % ocean. I've noticed for quite awhile now that I never get marsh with the smartmap script. I've also never seen(in dozens of games across several RoM versions) fur. I have love playing using the smartmap script. Has anyone noticed similar results?

could you add athens and maybe rome as barbarian cities. do the barbarians pick out a civ randomly when they turn into one, or is it in an order? if it is in an order could you set it so the civs are in cronological order. eg: greece first to spawn, then rome, then byzantine...
it could end up looking like RFC even though it is just trickery, and obviously they wouldnt always start when they should. but it would prevent USA spawning as one of the first which has always bugged me.

Hi, I'd love to play Vadas' exelent Britan and Irland Map (or even better my slight alteration of it with in my opinin a more realistic Wales posted lower in that thread) in RoM since it realy neads the extra Civs.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=140542&highlight=britan&page=2

I don't think much should nead changing since most of the added resorced don't occure in NW Europe but dont know how to go about making it not crash in RoM.

BTW the newst RoM dosn't have a publicmaps folder, should i just make one?

Top Bottom