Jabarto's Map Conversion Center

could you add athens and maybe rome as barbarian cities. do the barbarians pick out a civ randomly when they turn into one, or is it in an order? if it is in an order could you set it so the civs are in cronological order. eg: greece first to spawn, then rome, then byzantine...
it could end up looking like RFC even though it is just trickery, and obviously they wouldnt always start when they should. but it would prevent USA spawning as one of the first which has always bugged me.

I'm not sure I want to add any barbarian cities to the map. As far as I know, the order is random; in any case, it's not something that can be changed in the WBS.

Hi, I'd love to play Vadas' exelent Britan and Irland Map (or even better my slight alteration of it with in my opinin a more realistic Wales posted lower in that thread) in RoM since it realy neads the extra Civs.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=140542&highlight=britan&page=2

I don't think much should nead changing since most of the added resorced don't occure in NW Europe but dont know how to go about making it not crash in RoM.

BTW the newst RoM dosn't have a publicmaps folder, should i just make one?

This map is already included in the map pack. I'm not sure that adding a PublicMaps folder is necessary.

grate thanks :woohoo: , I must just have it in the wrong place, where should it go if not PublicMaps?

Jabarto

When you use worldbuilder to make a map have you ever had goodie huts, resources like stone and plains textures float above the map?

I have been trying to use Smart Map to make a 7 continent map, huge, and with 50% water. I had to eliminate some land tiles to get 7 separate continents. Some of the distances between continents are only 1 or 2 tiles wide.

I now have several resources that float above the landscape plane. I also noticed that goodie huts have 4 positions in relation to the ground plane; partial sumberged, sitting normal, slightly elevated (leaves a shadow below it) and really elevated like it would sit on top of an invisible mountain (again with shadow below). I also observed this pattern during using the Map, that the really elevated usually gave Techs, the slighty elevated sometimes gave a tech but mostly a unit like a warrior, the normal gave gold and an occasional scout, and the partially submerged gave scouts and maps.

I have several resources that float as I mentioned. One stone resource I have developed and the resulting Quarry floats above the terrain about head high to any unit.

I've also noticed the texture used for plains in several locations close to water also float slighty above the normal terrain. And I noticed marsh out in the oceans. These were eliminated by adding a water resource to that tile.

Just wondering if you've run into similar circumstance when trying to make your maps.

Kinda funny to have a levitating stone quarry. :lol

JosEPh :)

I've only seen that happen when I delete a hill from under a pre-placed resource. I've never seen what you describe with goody huts, though. That's kinda weird.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a problem inherent to SmartMap. That script has given me trouble in the past (CTDs on statrup, etc.)

I was thinkig that Smartmaps' script might be the problem. The map plays fine. And I call the floating stone quarry my "upsedaysium mine", Bullwinkle would be proud. ;) :D

JosEPh :)

hi, can you plz convert this map for me? its a huge earth map from rise of mankind version 2.3. and i couldnt upload the map directly to this forum for some reason, so i uploaded it to rapidshare instead, here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/252239383/RiseOfMankind2.3Earth28Civ.CivBeyondSwordWBSave

its only 1.5 mb so it takes like 3 seconds to download. please help!!!

I can't get it to work on my machine, for some reason. Sorry. :(

But did you notice that there is a huge Earth map with 28 civs already included with ROM 2.7?

I can't get it to work on my machine, for some reason. Sorry. :(

But did you notice that there is a huge Earth map with 28 civs already included with ROM 2.7?

u mean the maps that came with the mod? i havent tried them but doesnt it say 2.5 on it?

Genghis has released a new version of GEM, he list a few changes to the map
"4) Included more islands in all of the maps.
5) British Isles has been expanded and improved.
6) Gran Colombian region has been improved."
could you convert this?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=276594

also would anyone appreciate a scenairio for RoM because i was thinking of manualy converting one of GEM's scenariro's to RoM. what would be better? 200BC? 1200 AD? or 1500 AD?

also would anyone appreciate a scenairio for RoM because i was thinking of manualy converting one of GEM's scenariro's to RoM. what would be better? 200BC? 1200 AD? or 1500 AD?

If you can successfully convert the 200BC scenario I will love you forever. :drool: I tried it myself, once, but gave up when I saw how much work it would take.

Also, have no fear; I'll update the GEM before long. I've been slacking a bit in my conversions, but I'm getting back into Civ modding, so progress should pick up a bit.

If you can successfully convert the 200BC scenario I will love you forever. :drool: I tried it myself, once, but gave up when I saw how much work it would take.

Also, have no fear; I'll update the GEM before long. I've been slacking a bit in my conversions, but I'm getting back into Civ modding, so progress should pick up a bit.

I've almost finished the latest GEM for ROM, but I had a question for those of you wise in the way of art modding. If I were to copy over the flag decals from the GEM/Assets/Art/Interface/Buttons/Civilization folder to its ROM equivalent, would they show up in game if I assigned them to the proper civs in the WBS? Or would I have to muck with one of those Godforsaken atlas files?

I have to admit I am very slow in picking up new stuff and too focused in my own little forum :) How long did this ROM mod existed? I am aware of it for a while ago but the name somehow makes me think this is just another mod for the ancient age :lol: BUT hey, this is a great mod which expands every aspect of CIV! Damn, I miss out alot :cry:

I will download this mod tonight and have a go with it. If it is as good as it seems, I might consider helping to convert some of my scenarios.

I have to admit I am very slow in picking up new stuff and too focused in my own little forum :) How long did this ROM mod existed? I am aware of it for a while ago but the name somehow makes me think this is just another mod for the ancient age :lol: BUT hey, this is a great mod which expands every aspect of CIV! Damn, I miss out alot :cry:

I will download this mod tonight and have a go with it. If it is as good as it seems, I might consider helping to convert some of my scenarios.

That would be awesome. Your GEM with the RoM resources and the Revolution/DCM/etc. is like peanut butter and chocolate. Yeah RoM is an awesome accom-plishment. It's a full upgrade when you get into the tech tree, the civics, and the range of resources.

Jabarto: No request here, but there are little things I toy with on these in-game maps. For instance, I've taken to a few standard alterations whenever I play the Demographica/Early resources for RoM:
1. Connect the Scandanavian landmass with Russia at the top of the map--one tile changed from water to land and given trees.
2. Expand Gottland to an island of three land tiles instead of one.
3. Connect the Scandanavian landmass to Denmark at its most southern point with one water tile changed to land.
4. Convert two tiles between Balkans and Turkey to open up the Dardanelles.
5. Some shifting about of start points as well as eliminating some starting civs.

My question is: Is it better to have this saved as a WB scenerio or can I actually replace the file altogether so that it becomes the standard for Demographica?

Also, as to conversion, are you simply adding in resources for these maps that are new to the latest RoM version and basically adjusting civ numbers and start points? I ask because if that's the extent I can convert any of these pretty easily--given a little research and a handy atlas(which, of course, I keep handy anyway). If there's more to it, such as writing files and getting into a "modding" aspect of conversion, I'll have to be happy with my own sludge-construction.

Thanks.

Hello,

I played 2.7 GEM and it was fine, just long lag in between turns.
I played 2.7 GEM (Old World) and it is fun :D.
I played 2.7 GEM 4 Civs, and with BarbCivs on, it lags badly later on.
My point is: no crashes so far.

But when I attempted to play GEM itself, the mod that is merged with RevDCM now, I crash IMMEDIATELY.

So why are two stories above about two different maps different?

I have just been playing GEM without RoM and realised there are many thing that need changing from GEM to RoM.
1. in the GEM mod Turkey has been edited to mean the turks and their city names changed accordingly (Samarkand...), but in Rom GEM they start in turks area but have ottoman names (Istanbul).

2. in the GEM mod Byzantine has been edited to mean Hungary and their city names changed accordingly(Budapest...), but in Rom GEM they start in Hugary area but have byzantine names names (Constantinople).

*infact alot of citynames have been edited for each civ, but i know this requires changing RoM not just the WB save*

3. i dont know if this is just your preference but why does each civ start with a unit placed far away from their capitol? it means it is much harder to see stuff on the minmap and in some cases messes up the game (maya kills roman settler), (turks kill maya settler).

4. you have filled in the desert floodplains in amsterdam with marsh floodplains but doesnt the same need to be done in china, east india, siam, mexico and great plains and a little bit in central africa. (i think flood plains have been put instead of grass here to give more food (alike in amsterdam) but they look out of place.)

5. in RoM now pre-astronamy boats can move across ocean with a high chance of dying, but there is only one line of ocean at alska/russia and greenland/iceland so it is very easy to get to america early on. (perhaps a RoM problem though)

Hello,

I played 2.7 GEM and it was fine, just long lag in between turns.
I played 2.7 GEM (Old World) and it is fun :D.
I played 2.7 GEM 4 Civs, and with BarbCivs on, it lags badly later on.
My point is: no crashes so far.

But when I attempted to play GEM itself, the mod that is merged with RevDCM now, I crash IMMEDIATELY.

So why are two stories above about two different maps different?

Nevermind about above.

I figured it out. I moved my game back to Vista 32-bit. At least it does recognize 3gb ram, not 2.75! I used CFF Explorer to give my bts exe address over 2gb and used increaseuserva to my Vista bcdedit. Now it is working. Though, I am seriously considering buying new computer sometime in next months with a lot faster cpu and with at least 4 gb of ram plus 64 bit OS. We will see.
At least, it works now.

Top Bottom