Jabarto's Map Conversion Center

I have just been playing GEM without RoM and realised there are many thing that need changing from GEM to RoM.
1. in the GEM mod Turkey has been edited to mean the turks and their city names changed accordingly (Samarkand...), but in Rom GEM they start in turks area but have ottoman names (Istanbul).

2. in the GEM mod Byzantine has been edited to mean Hungary and their city names changed accordingly(Budapest...), but in Rom GEM they start in Hugary area but have byzantine names names (Constantinople).

I tried fixing this once but couldn't find the names for all the civs. Maybe I'll try it again. I'm also going to look into making a mod that brings the banners for the new civs into ROM.

3. i dont know if this is just your preference but why does each civ start with a unit placed far away from their capitol? it means it is much harder to see stuff on the minmap and in some cases messes up the game (maya kills roman settler), (turks kill maya settler).

That's a bug. I don't remember what causes it but I think it has something to do with the "Start as Minors" option.

4. you have filled in the desert floodplains in amsterdam with marsh floodplains but doesnt the same need to be done in china, east india, siam, mexico and great plains and a little bit in central africa. (i think flood plains have been put instead of grass here to give more food (alike in amsterdam) but they look out of place.)

I just did that for the Netherlands because I know that that place is marshy. I don't know exactly which terrain would be appropriate for those other areas. Maybe just plains?

5. in RoM now pre-astronamy boats can move across ocean with a high chance of dying, but there is only one line of ocean at alska/russia and greenland/iceland so it is very easy to get to america early on. (perhaps a RoM problem though)

News to me. Are you sure it isn't a modmod that does this?

I tried fixing this once but couldn't find the names for all the civs. Maybe I'll try it again. I'm also going to look into making a mod that brings the banners for the new civs into ROM.

if you would make a modmod that would go with GEM that would be ok, i would only play GEMRoM anyway but if not having 2 RoM folders wouldnt even be a problem for most people. would this also add some of GEMS civ's? like australia and canada and thailand?

That's a bug. I don't remember what causes it but I think it has something to do with the "Start as Minors" option.

the units are always there no matter what option, the killing settlers is only on minors.

I just did that for the Netherlands because I know that that place is marshy. I don't know exactly which terrain would be appropriate for those other areas. Maybe just plains?

when i played as india and china i just went into would builder and put grass over the floodplains in the countries, i put plains in america's one and put a bit of marsh in china's and india's one too.

i brought this up in the main bit and i must have read it somehwere else but that feature will be in 2.71, i asked if it could be modular but they say it will be a python change so it can't be modular.

i meant to say was, how do i have a shuffled map, where there are large med and small continents,with larg med, small islands and arpelagios?
Try RoM_Smartmap or RoM_Randommapscript, both included with the modpack. Select Custom game from start menus to have access to those mapscripts.

I guess I should update this, huh?

I made the mistake of learning how to mod Titan Quest, so that's where most of my time has been spent. I haven't forgotted about updating the GEM for ROM, or including the new resources in the existing maps, but I'm kind of fizzled out from Civ at the moment so it may take some time.

Now, then, I'm off to master the insanely complex TQ Art Manager (seriously guys, thank Firaxis for making their games so easy to mod).

to convert one of GEM'S scenario's is it as simple as editing the WBS or do i have to copy every unit/city.building/promotion into a RoM GEM? and if so how do i go about changing all the civs?

What about a larger RFC map with resources and civs preplaced?

to convert one of GEM'S scenario's is it as simple as editing the WBS or do i have to copy every unit/city.building/promotion into a RoM GEM? and if so how do i go about changing all the civs?
I've provided now GEM map with no preset civs. That might help you create different kinds of scenarios with GEM.

I used Worldbuilder and Notepad++ to edit the mapfile.

What about a larger RFC map with resources and civs preplaced?

if someone tells me how I will gladly work on a RFC map and put RoM resources on if (after research of course) so for example, I would put geothermal resources in Iceland (they use a lot of geothermal)

if someone tells me how I will gladly work on a RFC map and put RoM resources on if (after research of course) so for example, I would put geothermal resources in Iceland (they use a lot of geothermal)
In general, I've tried to put geothermal resources to Earth spots where there is volcanic activity.

I mean the ACTUAL RFC map, I love it, and I'd put the new resources on it, but I don't know how to derandomize it

The problem with american/european ships circumnavigating the globe too early on a lot of the ROM Earth scenarios/maps is not a modmod problem. I only have the basic ROM installed and its happened every game i have played. It just like was mentioned before, there is only one ocean space in the atlantic and one in the pacific dividing the two hemispheres and the triremes get over that very easily. If more ocean spaces were added it would decrease the likeliness of that happening in future mods/maps :D

Also, has anyone thought of making a 250 BC map? Really interesting time period in both Europe (rome, carthage, celts, germans, ptolemaic egypt, etc) and in china (warring states period; qin, zhao, wei, zhou, chu, etc). just a thought.

The Dinotopia map could be nice, but I would like to play some player isolated starts. As you got few strategic resources and stuff, but I suck making maps, (tried couple of days ago.)

The problem with american/european ships circumnavigating the globe too early on a lot of the ROM Earth scenarios/maps is not a modmod problem. I only have the basic ROM installed and its happened every game i have played. It just like was mentioned before, there is only one ocean space in the atlantic and one in the pacific dividing the two hemispheres and the triremes get over that very easily. If more ocean spaces were added it would decrease the likeliness of that happening in future mods/maps :D

Also, has anyone thought of making a 250 BC map? Really interesting time period in both Europe (rome, carthage, celts, germans, ptolemaic egypt, etc) and in china (warring states period; qin, zhao, wei, zhou, chu, etc). just a thought.

yeah, however you can now place storm features that kill units imediately at sea so you couldfill in these seabridges with storms, this would also mean more ships would go accross the atlantic instead of going round. however be cautious with placing the storms as too many can really slow down a game. also jarbarto could you add the marsh feature thing through siberia on you GEM map, it helps worsen the land.

as for the 250BC there is a 200BC scenario for the core GEM and i did try to convert it but it is alot of work. i could really only recommend trying Rise and Fall of Rome (for warlords but its not too much of a problem) and History of Three Kingdoms.

A while back, I know, but I'm getting back into Civ 4 and I've been wondering. Does anyone know how to disable this, if possible? I would like to add it to my modmod so that worldmaps will work as intended.

Top Bottom