1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jadwiga's Legacy scenario - how is the AI...?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by V. Soma, Dec 22, 2016.

1. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Well, I can win on Deity in the normal game if the setting is right, and I got absolutely crushed as the yellow side on Prince. The Rus destroyed my second city, and the Swedes and Teutonic Knights nearly destroyed my first. I was grateful when the blue nobility took out two crossbowman bombarding my capital. I barely made it to turn 60, and lost a score victory. The numbers are overwhelming...

Edit: Second try, much improved performance due to using encampments and crossbows for heavy ranged fire. Up to four cities, soon to settle a fifth. Losing, tied for last place by score. Destroying three or more barbarians per turn. Turn 37, defeat screen. Blue nobility neglected to protect Vienna, despite being under zero duress. Dammit.

Edit2: Third try, spread out faster, stopped at 5 cities, developed them faster. Threw four winged hussars, a knight, a pikeman, and a great general down to stop the attack on Vienna, because the blue nobles weren't doing anything. Successfully won the game, though my score was still pretty pitiful (only Nero).

Edit3: On Emperor as blue nobility, ridiculously easy. I settled between the Ottomans and Vienna, as well as all the lands between the starting area and Gdansk and two cities to the East. Used encampments filled with crossbowman for walls, enemies got nowhere. Biggest fright was when the Swedes spawned fifteen units (mostly musketman, a couple bombards) in and around Warsaw out of nowhere, but two of my then field cannons made short work of them. I can't imagine how the white nobility can be any easier than this was, but I'll try them on deity. Lastly, this go round yellow never got a third city and quickly lost their second, we're besieged the remainder of the game, meanwhile white lost their fourth city and were constantly pillaged and under siege.

Edit4: On Deity as the white nobility, I found it hard to imagine that blue is any harder than white as others have suggested as possible. Whereas the Ottomans are easily addressed with careful city and encampment placement, the Moldives and Golden Horde are relentless. I managed only three cities (one more than normal) before I was locked into unit building for a while. I managed to pick up two captured settlers from barbarians later, to finish out my core. I spent the rest of the game with large waves of units crashing into my units only to dissolve rapidly in my return. The AI did better, as the yellow nobles managed to eventually settle three cities, and the blue nobles managed four. I only had to kill a few units (plus the settlers) from the North, as the yellows and blues held off the Rus, Teutonic Knights, and Swedes fairly well. Also, the blue nobles were mostly handling the Ottomans, using waves of winged hussars (I later assisted by settling my fifth city near (encampment on) the Northern mountain gap, and later my seventh near (encampment on) the Eastern mountain gap, behind which I killed an Ottoman unit or two per turn. To safely ensure I overcame blue's score I had to tuck in three extra cities, two in barely useful spots, for the total of eight. I won by less than ten points of score.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    4N4C0ND4 likes this.
  2. pookel

pookel Chieftain

So, I just played this scenario for the first time. I didn't see the thing about protecting Vienna, and it fell around turn 40, and right after that I got a losing screen. I was like, "what the hell?" and reloaded the previous autosave. Vienna fell again, and .... then I lasted out the next 20 turns and got the victory screen and the achievement for winning.

Just a glitch?

3. 4N4C0ND4

4N4C0ND4 King

Won all 3 on deity. Key thing is to plant cities as fast as possible with encampments. Then spam units and win. Science is super useless, all you need is crossbows and hussards.

I didn't looked into the details, but I couldn't really understand how score is generated: Points for more cities and great persons, ok. But has any one got some religious points? I couldn't really bother with the rush, but I recall having a religious site with buildings but no points still.

4. 6r3u4

6r3u4 Chieftain

Please try this: Go Deity with Yellow (lithuania?) And move with your 2 settlers into the swamp. Takes 4-5 turns, then chose pantheon +1production for marsh, oasis, floodplain. Settle 3rd city inside the swamp to the east for iron. Invent lumbermills, each city will have one or two. The capital starts with 4 pop i think. So with the pantheon settled engulfed by marsh that's equivalent to 4 improved wheat (except for the housing). Then build watermills, archers, encampments with each city and a very early traderoute to connect all three cities (at once) for you to be able to move in your homeswamp. By now, with terraincost of marsh and the riversystem you have a defense similar if not better than the great wall in civ 5, except that you move just as slow as your opponents. Theoretically you can use your double military engineers to build roads through the marsh where needed. But i never needed that. I just calmly built mmore settlers and took more territory to the north and east with quadruplepromoted xbows. To the southwest neighbors the white capital fighting off barbs. Apparently also the first barb wave from the north 'forgets' where to attack. Since you have moved your capital to ca 10 hexes south, they seem not to have a target anymore. Would love to hear your thoughts on this strategy.

5. bbbearbbb

bbbearbbb Chieftain

Unfortunately this doesn't work.
    All the northern barbs will swarm on the City State which gets crushed. Blue then focuses north and Vienna will fall turn 30-40. At least that is how Diety panned out.

Pantheon +1 marsh is still great, but settle in place, buy a third settler immediately and build a fourth straightaway. Place second city 4 squares SE, then third city in swamp, and fourth in swamp.
    Build encampments in cities ASAP (especially northern and eastern) and then northern cities build xbows, this will hold of the barbs. Chop forest and harvest stone to speed this up.
    Southern marsh cities can grow huge and focus on science, commerce, culture to accelerate through the techs and get points. Keep expanding as your army grows bigger.
    Vienna and the north City State seems to be ok but you can send envoys and hussar their way to bolster if needed.

6. Frostburn

Frostburn Warlord

I have all the DLC but have never bothered with the scenarios.... But after reading these comments it sounds pretty fun, definitely giving them a shot.

7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

The civ VI scenarios are all worth a try imho. Some are indeed challenging to fulfill on higher difficulties and they are different enough from the base game to feel refreshing. Poland and Australia might be a bit of a taste thing, however, since one is a long and intensive battle and the other is about perfecting your economy.

8. Frostburn

Frostburn Warlord

Yea thanks, definitely going to try to beat them all, maybe on deity but at least immortal, that should kill some time. I am most excited for the Viking one but the Nubian/Egypt one sounds cool as well

9. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

The Viking one is worth playing twice: Norway/Denmark I'd rather different from and feels more Viking-ish than playing Sweden.

DWilson and Frostburn like this.