Jamie's Rome 1.3/2.1

Actually, I say you should go all out with the religions. The eastern empire had a helluvalot of "mystery religions," but we can represent them with some of the more significant ones. Serapis, Isis, Mithra, and Dionysus.

Mystery religions were these things that popped up after the fall of Alexander's empire. They would combine a foreign god with Hellenistic elements. The mystery religions were a bit like modern cults, without so many of the harmful elements. They would have secret rituals, and promise salvation to a select few. Most of them had death and rebirth as a theme. Although they were never the official religion for long, specific mystery religions were promoted or suppressed by emperors who had come to follow them.

I suggest the final list of religions be:
-Druidism/Celtic Polytheism (at game start)
-Hellenism/Greco-Roman Polytheism (at game start)
-Judaism (at game start)
-Zoroastrianism (at game start)
-Cult of Serapis (requires Aesthetics)
-Cult of Isis (requires Drama)
-Dionysian Mystery (requires Drama)
-Mithraic Mystery (requires Calendar)
-Christianity (requires Theology)

I can only have 7 remember :p you need to cut 2 out and I'm happy,

Ok, update;

nearly finished 2.1 (needs some minor things done)

added an array of new civics and stuff for both 1.3 and 2.1

a couple of flag changes.

will be working on a lot of stuff after about the 5th of june, where I finish my AS Level exams!

ok the next version is well on it's way with a bunch of new features:

Storms - Each turn storms may appear and do damage to units that end end turn on it, can damage improvements! they stay for a random amount of turns (6 is the maximum I think)

Watchtowers - Workers can now build watchtowers, when a unit is standing on it, it's visibility is increased allowing it to see surrounding terrain

reworked promotions and military:
  • Many promotions are now ordered into tiers which are available through technologies
  • Once you start on the military part of the tech tree you unlock the barracks and stables, and further techs advance you in progress through the tiers
  • Barracks and stables are required to build better units and are more expensive now, in the early game without barracks you can only make use of skirmishers (new unit), axemen, spearmen, chariots and warriors
  • When you have built the appropriate temple (hammers variety) you can start paying for equipment upgrades, placing a unit in that city will allow you to buy special promotions which will improve the unit (for example the archer's improved bows give it a first strike)
  • The Advanced Archer can now deal collateral damage!

Promotion Tiers and new Promotion effects
Promotions can now increase your %age for attacking and %age for defending, instead of just overall combat str.

Promotions can now give you first strikes if the unit is on a feature (in this mod the Melee Tier III Ambush promotion gives +2 first strike chances from being in a forest)

Promotions can now give units collateral damage where previously they had none!

There are many different tiers, each providing stronger benefits to the unit, in order to obtain the next tiers promotions, you must have acquired all the promotions of the previous tier and have the necessary technology

Melee tier tree: Auxilia -> Hastati -> Principes -> Triarii -> Praetorian

This tier tree is mostly focused on healing and fighting other types of units

Mounted tier tree: Cavalry Auxilia -> Equites -> Foederati -> Patricii

This tier tree is mostly focused on fighting melee units and scouting/pillaging

Archer tier tree: (to be named, there are three tiers however)

This tier tree is focused on defending cities and starting to deal collateral.

The Effect
The effect of my military rework is to hopefully create 3 distinct military "eras". In the early game your main goal is simply having large numbers of units to survive, in the middle game your goal is to have a large army and experienced units to make use of the promotion tiers. By the late game you will also need lots of money to upgrade your more veteran troops with new armour to create the most fearsome armies!

thanks,
I was doing a bit of play testing today and the new military stuff (and it isn't finished, I have tiers for the archers, balancing and adding of all the paid promotions) and it really is how I wanted it. But the problem is everything has gotten so much harder! I actually found myself losing a war!!! I've found myself using more great generals though. Tip for 1.3.3: Great generals are the promotion tier kings! with a great general you can grab leadership and the Auxilia and Hastati tiers. Which is a huge help.

more info on the update:

there is an experience distinction between normal and tiered promotions... Normal promotions follow the normal pattern, promotions at 2, 5, 10 etc xp. But tiers have a unified cost. For example the Auxilia promotions always cost 2xp... if you choose one, 2xp is deducted from your unit's xp and this means the cost of the normal promotions are not increases when a tiered promotion is chosen. This is reflected in the new xp display on the unit panel, which shows oyu both when new tiers are available and normal promotions.

for example

unit has 1 normal promotion, cost for next normal promotion is 5xp and the cost for the next auxilia promotion is 4xp (cost for previous level (2) + 2xp (cost of tier)). the interface shows this:

2/4+1

where the 1 is actually yellow not bold, but shows up better here. The bold part shows the normal promotion and to get to it you add the previous, so this shows a tier at 4 and normal at 5

as a consequence, take care! You might want to conserve your promotion for a tier rather than a normal promotion!

yeah, I will have AI work to do in the future... but just by luck the AI is pretty competent with the new system!

oh and also,

due to the changes in promotions a couple of civs have had a change around!

The picts no longer get formation as a free promotion, as formation is no longer included! Instead they get a new religious enhancer promotion. Their units get a boost vs other state religions. Also the druid gets the blessing of the gods promotion free, improving its strength against other state religions... Romans beware!

The Germanic berserker no longer has the amphibious promotion (as it doesn't fit) and instead can now attack other civs without declaring war. If you are playing as Germania this can be a fun one :D

Hello
I am trying to download this mod - tried many versions - but some of the zips won't open (82kb), while others only have scraps of files and just a few units in them (1.8mb).
Which one is the fullest version with all of the custom units like on the screenshots?

Thank you!

JamiesRome1.3.2 is the the latest version, the zip file is 57.15mb and contains the whole mod.

Just downloaded and took a look... can you try again?

link at the top of the page, will take you to the download page that will take you to the mediafire download page, click the download button and it should be fine?

Don't worry people this is still on my to do list! I am just really busy with my A Levels and getting ready for university :D

Top Bottom