JCivED - a toolbox for Civilization

Problem solved!

User CivZ game me a copy of a program called CivCracker which is basically a full CivWin editor and map editor like JCivEd is for CivDos. Best of all it's also a SAVE CONVERTER!! I was able to take my Barbarian scenario save file that I designed in JCivEd and save it as a CivWin save game! Loaded just fine!

It also got me around a bug in JCivEd that I should probably report here and provide saves for.

When you set the player civ to Barbarians in JCivEd and then save you will never be able to load that save file in JCivEd again. It just hangs forever trying to load the save file. Even closing JCivEd doesn't stop the frozen loading bar, I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete Java just stop the darn thing.

Attached is a zip with 2 saves files that are complete identical apart from me changing the player civ from Romans to Barbarians. The Roman one will load in JCivEd, the barb one won't.

Attachments

• Saves.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 224
Guys, jcived won't load on my Win10, saying "java" is an unrecognised or bad command. Any solution?

Can you change AI personalities in JCivED? It's been a while since I've played around with it. Or can you do it in Terraform? I'm trying to create a climate change scenario with all the AI as Aggressive, Expansionist and Militaristic.

For anyone wanting to look at a savegame with a future tech discovered, there is a quick-and-dirty workaround. Using a hex editor, open the SVE file and go to addr.dec 30320 and the next entry, 30321, and zero them ( 00 00 ). This makes JCIVED ignore the game replay data, which apparently otherwise crashes the java engine when there's future tech.

It is a known bug of JCivED to fail when opening savegames with Future Tech discovered, and I didn't release the fix yet.

I don't know how far you were in the process of fixing this. Hope you come back to JCIVED soon! Would also be interested in being able to toggle the display of living/dead/invisible huts.

I am still lurking around, and apparently did fix this years ago :

fix.png

Not sure how stable this fix was, but I remember starting to transfer my Windows coding/build environment to linux (ubuntu) and did not progress enough to be able to release a new version...

The only change in this commit is in file src/dd/civ/data/game/types/Advance.java, I apparently added a new line at line 80:

upload_2019-3-22_0-19-42.png

One day or another I will find time to start working on JCivED seriously again - my kids are growing up :)

One day or another I will find time to start working on JCivED seriously again - my kids are growing up :)

Well if you've got a word doc with peoples bug reports or wish list items in for when that day comes then these are my 2 for the list. :)

1. Add CivWin save format compatibility (although if you see my above post I thankfully found a way around the issue for the time being)
2. Fix the weird bug that makes the save files unloadable if you set the human player to barbarian (also in my above post )

Well if you've got a word doc with peoples bug reports or wish list items in for when that day comes then these are my 2 for the list. :)

1. Add CivWin save format compatibility (although if you see my above post I thankfully found a way around the issue for the time being)
2. Fix the weird bug that makes the save files unloadable if you set the human player to barbarian (also in my above post )

I had a TODO list somewhere, but let's say the official way would be to create tickets on the SourceForge project: https://sourceforge.net/p/jcived/tickets/ (requires an account)

Hello! Could you help with settlers problem? I used last version of JCivED-0.0.18a.zip and changed map in save (add 3 terrain). Also moved city.
Now I cant build Settlers in any city. They not exist in list. Civ 454.01 (english).

All other things work fine, many many thanks to author!!

Last edited:
After researches I found the problem - when editing savegame, and accidentally open and click the line [0] Settlers in the tab 'Data'->UnitTypes, then the editor will write wrong "FFFF" instead of "7F00" (Cancelling Tech ID). You can avoid this by manually typing "127" in "Cancelling Tech ID" instead of "-1" and press Enter.

Now I have another question. About patches. Why does programm say that my version 'UNKNOWN'. It is from image of diskettes 474.01. Another image 474.03 recognized correctly

Now I have another question. About patches. Why does programm say that my version 'UNKNOWN'. It is from image of diskettes 474.01. Another image 474.03 recognized correctly

JCivEd only supports EXE images that I could get my hands on at the time, so probably I didn't have yours... If you share it, I may add support for it - when I resume working on JCivEd (I trust patience shall pay)

Hi! Upon running JCivEd, all I got was "jcived could not find original civilization files" message from Java (several versions) on Mac OS. The message seemed to ask for location of the Civilisation files, but the file/folder prompt never came up! I had a look inside the JAR, and it seems just writing the path to the install folder (for most users, that would be some emulator C "drive") to default.ini as a value of "civroot=" inside the JAR worked, and now JCivEd launches correctly. Before editing the path, it would not even launch. Was it just an error or should you perhaps append the "installation" post? Otherwise, thanks :)

Hi! Upon running JCivEd, all I got was "jcived could not find original civilization files" message from Java (several versions) on Mac OS. The message seemed to ask for location of the Civilisation files, but the file/folder prompt never came up! I had a look inside the JAR, and it seems just writing the path to the install folder (for most users, that would be some emulator C "drive") to default.ini as a value of "civroot=" inside the JAR worked, and now JCivEd launches correctly. Before editing the path, it would not even launch. Was it just an error or should you perhaps append the "installation" post? Otherwise, thanks :)

As I recall, there is a prompt popping up at some point, where you should provide the civ dir path, probably after this error message.

If you never see it, it may be a Mac-specific issue or another unknown bug, anyhow I'm glad you could find a workaround !

I've left JCivEd aside for many years, so no surprise some bugs remain, but I am still hopeful I'll come back to it one way or another.

If you never see it, it may be a Mac-specific issue or another unknown bug, anyhow I'm glad you could find a workaround! I've left JCivEd aside for many years, so no surprise some bugs remain, but I am still hopeful I'll come back to it one way or another.
Heh, actually, I did not expect any reply at all (I thought JCivED was long abandoned, as the last version still mentioned Java 7!). I think it might be just Mac / Java / security settings specific that prevented the pop-up prompt, but the ini file was pretty easy to find. Just thought I'd post it here if others nostalgic for some Civ I play had the same issue, the workaround was easy. Never even knew about JCivED before, the last time I played Civ was probably when it was still new :D
Anyway, thanks a lot for your work! Your editor brought me quite a lot of nostalgic enjoyment of Civ (especially with the exe fixes)! Just a quick noob question - is it possible to edit the "special" squares (game, gems, fisheries), or are these fixed by game logic? Thanks!

Top Bottom