JCivED - a toolbox for Civilization

I think an interesting option would be a rule that penalizes human player by $100 if a lone diplomat is killed. Diplomats are very valuable for being maintenance free and zero impact on unhappiness, this rule tweak might force us to consider more carefully how we use them in the early-mid game.

I was just using toolbox to convert pic files to gif.
Great art. Some of it (but only a small part of it) I have never seen in the game.
Sprites.pic wouldn't convert, otherwise all pictures did, but there is one strange thing about some colors. English queen Elizabeth, and Shaka Zulu, they are not quite as I remember them from the game. Here in toolbox and in exported gifs the queen's skin is red like a lobster. She is fair skinned in the game. I don't know how it was programmed, but pigment seems to pass from Elizabet to Shaka ingame, because it's not there in the files.

Hello Dark Panda,
Great utility !
Please, could you explain how to change the values to setup the patch "CIV1_SKIP_PREGAME_SETUP".
Usualy, I hit : 1 (VGA mode), 6 (custom sound driver) and 1 (mouse and keyboard)

When I apply the patch, it's ok for the screen and the mouse, but i have no sound :-(

Thank you by advance

Humungus

Last edited:
I was just using toolbox to convert pic files to gif.
Great art. Some of it (but only a small part of it) I have never seen in the game.
Sprites.pic wouldn't convert, otherwise all pictures did, but there is one strange thing about some colors. English queen Elizabeth, and Shaka Zulu, they are not quite as I remember them from the game. Here in toolbox and in exported gifs the queen's skin is red like a lobster. She is fair skinned in the game. I don't know how it was programmed, but pigment seems to pass from Elizabet to Shaka ingame, because it's not there in the files.
Can you send screenshots to explain the difference ?

Can you send screenshots to explain the difference ?
It's all right, actually. I was looking at KINKS.PIC of Elizabeth and Shaka Zulu. There are KINGS.PIC there as well, the familiar ones. I have never seen the alternative pictures for Zulus and English in the game, so I was wondering. Now I'm guessing these alternatives were meant for EGA graphic mode.

Hello Dark Panda,
Great utility !
Please, could you explain how to change the values to setup the patch "CIV1_SKIP_PREGAME_SETUP".
Usualy, I hit : 1 (VGA mode), 6 (custom sound driver) and 1 (mouse and keyboard)

When I apply the patch, it's ok for the screen and the mouse, but i have no sound :-(

Thank you by advance

Humungus
Hi Humungus,

I went back to my code to understand the patch and it seems all it does is, in fact, skip the call to the audio/graphics selection code (misc.exe) ...

It's very strange because I remember have tweaked those settings as well, but I found no trace of this so far.

I'm pretty sure either MISC.EXE or CIV.EXE can be modified for the default A/V values, then combined with the SKIP patch, you'll have what you need.

I'll get back to you if I find anything.

Hi!
If someone also have problem with "savegame with a future tech discovered":
..otherwise crashes the java engine when there's future tech...
I am still lurking around,...
One day or another I will find time to start working on JCivED seriously again - my kids are growing up :)

I added one line to jcived, as darkpanda said, and compiled it... Now program works with FutureTech)
May be it will be usefull for someone..

P.S. Cant wait while darkpanda release fix it.

Attachments

• JCivED-0.0.18a__001FutureTech_problemSolved.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
this is great.. don't suppose fixing the barbarian human player crash problem is an easy fix?
I don't know yet. Never interested in playing with barbarians.
I think, firstly should be patched main functional. There many calc-errors. Disassembling take too long time...

I don't know yet. Never interested in playing with barbarians.
I think, firstly should be patched main functional. There many calc-errors. Disassembling take too long time...

Opps sorry, I just check and it turns out I completely forgot that darkpanda gave me an explanation and workaround for the Barbarian JCivED crash issue here.. my bad!
https://sourceforge.net/p/jcived/tickets/1/

CivWin save file support was the other one I logged but probably too big/nasty a job for a 3rd party patch so hopefully darkpanda returns and adds support for it one day. :)
https://sourceforge.net/p/jcived/tickets/2/

Thank you darkpanda.

I am trying to remove an enemy city from the map, but only the units are showing in the right click menu. I can right click my own cities and have the option to delete them. What am I doing wrong?

Opps sorry, I just check and it turns out I completely forgot that darkpanda gave me an explanation and workaround for the Barbarian JCivED crash issue here.. my bad!
https://sourceforge.net/p/jcived/tickets/1/
Yo, this is great. I expected it was more serious than that. Like, some data tables was incorrect or something. Now we can create barbarian custom games with proper convenience.

EDIT: if darkpanda will not have time and desire for JCivED anytime soon, maybe I will fork it one day just for small fixes. Like, 1 total move point instead of 1/3 by default, fix Great Wall/Oracle order, fix some incorrect help for SS parts, add diplomacy statuses names, add terrain owning for new city by default etc.. But cannot promise anything. I can only make these small fixes, cannot read and understand Java properly.

Btw, JCivED works in Linux without any problems, well, it's Java...

Thank you darkpanda.

I am trying to remove an enemy city from the map, but only the units are showing in the right click menu. I can right click my own cities and have the option to delete them. What am I doing wrong?

I too have no idea why we cannot do this with enemy cities. So use "Data" tab instead. 1st way: change your civ to civ of the city which you want to delete (in first, "Game data" tab - "Player Civ ID" field). Then delete the city on the map and then change your civ back. Alternative way: go to "Cities" tab, find a city which you want to delete and set all its flags (city disorder, coastal city etc.) on. When all flags are on, it means that this city does not exist.

Last edited:
Thanks tupi. I was able to get the second method to work but not the first.. so I can move forward.

Yo, this is great. I expected it was more serious than that. Like, some data tables was incorrect or something. Now we can create barbarian custom games with proper convenience.

Yeah should anyone wish to make their own Barbarian scenario like the one I made using JCivEd it should be much easier now.

EDIT: if darkpanda will not have time and desire for JCivED anytime soon, maybe I will fork it one day just for small fixes.

That would be awesome. The Barbarian sitation is solved but I really hope someone takes on my other request for CivWin support one day.

Oh @darkpanda I forgot to post here that I've finally released my videos that include brief tours showing people how to make scenarios using your excellent JCivED! Hope they bring you some more fans and helpers. :)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ization-1-hd-tour-with-mods-scenarios.673292/

Hi guys,

For some reason I no longer get notified of posts in this topic, but I'm glad to see there is still activity around !

Blake, your videos are a piece of work, really cool !! Congrats on that, I really should've looked them up earlier !

I still have this idea of taking on JCivEd again, roaming in the back of my brains, though never completly setup my build env again especially since I had to move from Cloudforge Subversion to private github after Cloudforge closed their free service...

I might dedicate more time after all, will keep you guys posted.

PS: tupi if not already done, you can post all the glitches you know as bugs on SourceForge, it'll be easier to track and fix

Cheers everyone

For some reason I no longer get notified of posts in this topic

Weird.. check the top right hand corner of the thread and see if it says Watch or Unwatch.

upload_2021-12-3_14-42-16.png

Blake, your videos are a piece of work, really cool !! Congrats on that, I really should've looked them up earlier !

Thanks mate. :)

I still have this idea of taking on JCivEd again, roaming in the back of my brains

That's great news!

darkpanda, thanks for this tool. I have used it extensively and it really improves gameplay. Truly awesome!

Have you looked into doing anything similar for Sid Meier's Colonization (Classic/1994)? I've been looking around, but it seems very little work has been done on that game. I found several repos, but they only scratch the surface (especially compared to JCivEd). For instance, only about 60% of the SAV file has been decoded, and I'm only seeing one patch out there (for fixing the RNG... but that "fix" breaks other parts of the game by randomizing things that are supposed to stay stable).

Getting to a tool like JCivED for the original Colonization -- from where things are today -- seems extremely challenging, but I'm trying to start by decoding the SAV files the rest of the way.

How did you get to something as awesome as this? I'd appreciate any tips you can provide. Thanks!

Top Bottom