Jerusalem Bus Bombing Kills Seven People

PresidentMike

Technical Fool
Since this is such a recent attack (about an hour and a half ago), I wouldn't be surprised to see the death toll rise.

By GAVIN RABINOWITZ, Associated Press Writer

Jerusalem Bus Bombing Kills Seven People
Sun Feb 21, 2:46 AM ET

JERUSALEM - A suicide bomber blew himself up on a crowded Jerusalem bus Sunday morning, killing seven people and wounding more than 60, 11 of them seriously, police and rescue workers said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which came just a day before the world court is to begin hearings on the West Bank separation barrier Israel says is crucial for keeping out bombers.

The huge blast went off about 8:30 a.m. during the morning rush hour as the bus drove past a gas station. The explosion ripped apart the back of the bus and scattered body parts and shattered glass across a two block radius.

Rescue workers at the scene placed body parts into body bags.

"I heard a huge explosion and saw people running around and I just started crying," said Anne Reichart, a German tourist who was on a nearby bus.

Palestinian Cabinet minister Saeb Erekat said he condemned the attack and urged "the United States to step up its efforts to revive the peace process."

Israeli officials said the blast proved the need for the security barrier it is building in the West Bank.

"Palestinian terror continues to pose a clear and present threat to Israeli civilians," said David Baker, an official in Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's office.

Earlier Sunday, Israeli workers started removing a section of the West Bank separation barrier, a day before the world court begins a hearing on the legality of the structure.

The move appears aimed at softening international criticism ahead of the legal proceedings, though Israel's Foreign Minister said the timing was purely coincidental.

Workers started taking down a stretch of the barrier — about 5 miles of fencing, razor wire and trenches — that has isolated the Palestinian town of Baka al-Sharkia from the rest of the West Bank for more than a year.

In the West Bank on Saturday, thousands of Palestinians staged protests of the barrier.

In one of the largest public outpourings of anger over the barrier, Palestinians across the West Bank fired guns in the air and shouted anti-barrier chants — the first of several protests planned to coincide with the opening of hearings on Monday at the International Court of Justice in The Hague, Netherlands.

The security barrier, a complex of walls, fences, razor wire and watchtowers, has become one of the most contentious issues in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Israel says the barrier is needed to stop suicide bombers and other attackers from entering Israeli towns and cities.

Palestinians are outraged because parts of the barrier that cut into the West Bank disrupt the lives of thousands. They also worry it will make it impossible to build an independent Palestinian state on the territory.

Construction of the barrier began more than a year ago and about a third of its eventual 450 miles is complete.

In later stages of the project, the barrier complex is to cut even deeper into the West Bank to wrap around Jewish settlements. That would separate thousands more Palestinians from their farmland, schools and jobs.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia dismissed Israel's route adjustment and said all parts of the barrier built on West Bank land must be removed. "We do not approve of even 1 millimeter of this wall that falls on our land," he said.

The largest Palestinian demonstration Saturday was in the city of Nablus, where 2,000 people, including dozens of gunmen in black ski masks, marched through the streets.

The noisy display was punctuated by the rattle of gunshots fired into the air.

In the West Bank towns of Ramallah and Jenin, hundreds of people, including women and children, carried banners with slogans against the barrier.

Near Qalqiliya, a Palestinian town that sits on the boundary with Israel and is surrounded by walls and fences, about 1,000 people protested. "Peace without the wall," some shouted.

Palestinians are planning several demonstrations and general strikes Monday as a backdrop to the opening of The Hague proceedings. Church bells will be rung and sirens sounded across the Palestinian territories as a moment of silence is observed.

The International Court of Justice is the highest judicial body of the United Nations and took on the case at the request of the U.N. General Assembly. Its ruling on the barrier's legality is nonbinding, but both sides have invested great effort in the case because the outcome is likely to influence international opinion.

Also Saturday, Israeli officials close to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon left for Britain to update Prime Minister Tony Blair's aides on Israel's so-called unilateral disengagement plan that could include the removal of several Gaza Strip and West Bank settlements, Israeli media reported.

In violence Saturday, Israeli soldiers shot and killed a Palestinian man in an off-limits military zone near the fence between Israel and the Gaza Strip, the military said. An army spokesman said he did not know if the man was armed. Palestinian officials said he was a policeman.

Nothing like the scum of the Earth screwing up what was otherwise, a beautiful day for me :(

Ok, I've not counted but I would guess this is the 78th bus bombing at least. Sounds cruel but this is just "business as usual" down there.

Wait, the real cruel thing about this is that the only reason for these attacks is: to make news. Congrats, you've just given the terrorists what they wanted.

You know, the Arab terrorists can blow themselve up inside Israel as long as they please. This will never destory Israel, this will never force the IDF out of the occupied territory, this will never remove the settlements etc.

It's completely pointless except for the news and the questionable joy of killing.

This is the 1252 terrorist attack, defined as intentionally killing or trying to kill civilians, since the Intifada began. Of course, most of those are just some Palestineans taking pot shots at Jerusalem.

Originally posted by Mario Feldberg
Wait, the real cruel thing about this is that the only reason for these attacks is: to make news. Congrats, you've just given the terrorists what they wanted.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure quite how to respond to that, apart from being insulted and flabbergasted at the same time.

Don't worry, now you just have to yell how mad you are and call the Israeli embassy or consulate to tell them to capture all the terrorists.

Oh, yeah. Send a donation to the IDF, too.

:)

Originally posted by pomsa
Don't worry, now you just have to yell how mad you are and call the Israeli embassy or consulate to tell them to capture all the terrorists.

No one needs to tell the Israelis to crack down on terrorists, although despite their best efforts they can't stop all attacks.

Oh, yeah. Send a donation to the IDF, too.

No.

Do people still take the bus there? :eek:

You'd think everyone would be way too scared to take the bus. I would. I would be walking everywhere.

I'm sure all those killed were legitimate military targets directly involved in the brutal occupation of the lands of peacefull palestinian peasants.

Originally posted by pomsa
This is the 1252 terrorist attack, defined as intentionally killing or trying to kill civilians, since the Intifada began. Of course, most of those are just some Palestineans taking pot shots at Jerusalem.

Actually this number is way off. According to the IDF, the number of attacks (updated as of yesterday) is 20,615 , with 920 killed (646 of which civilians) and 6144 injured (4,354 of which civilians).

Originally posted by cgannon64
Do people still take the bus there?

You'd think everyone would be way too scared to take the bus. I would. I would be walking everywhere.

What's your alternative? Busses are the only form of truely effective public transportation in Israel, and the only form of existing public transportation in Jerusalem (atleast for the next few years). In addition, remember that trains have also been targeted by terrorists, and so did private cars.

I dont understand why the palestinian blow themself like that, at least they could use minute bomb and save their own life. It is not that difficult once you have the explosive to make a remote detonator, just think about the teleguided toy car, everything you need is there.

This is what the hells angel were using here against the Bandidos.

Originally posted by Tassadar
I dont understand why the palestinian blow themself like that, at least they could use minute bomb and save their own life. It is not that difficult once you have the explosive to make a remote detonator, just think about the teleguided toy car, everything you need is there.

This is what the hells angel were using here against the Bandidos.

1. Israelis aren't stupid. Seeing an arab living a big bag in the middle of the bus will most likely get everyone out of the bus within less than a minute.
2. It's much harder to carry a bag with explosives than to carry them on your body. Security guards have much better chances of finding a bomb in a bag.
3. The terrorists want to be killed doing so - they believe it'll grant them the place in heaven that is given to all those killed while making a holy war.
4. What will they in the very likely scenario of someone telling them they've forgotten their bag?

It depend on the kind of explosive, the hells angel here used c-4 or something like that, its a plastic explosive and you need a very small amount to create a huge explosion. so it meen you can easily hide the plastic charge stick under the bus and use a remote to explode it.

the plastic charge can even be hiding in a child's toy or a fake book, this is the true art of guerrila warfare, talk to a vietnam war veteran and he will teach you what he learned from the vietcong.

The VC was equally cowardly in their guerilla tactics against the people of South Vietnam. The only difference is that they also had the guts to go toe to toe with the American military, and aimed the vast majority of their activity to hard military targets instead of "soft" civilian targets.

As for the acquisiton or manufacturing of plastic explosives, this is nearly impossible to do without setting off a red warning light on someone's desk from any self-respecting intelligence agency in the world. The reason they don't use those explosives that often is not due to lack of motivation but because the IDF routinely raids and terminates the trafficants of such devices - it's easier to make a pipe bomb or smuggle TNT (mining purposes) than it is to sneak in plastique.

Nice to see you shekel..

How's the service?
You return home everyday? ;)

By the way, I "spotted" you on 'Sdirim'. Guess how ;)

Accurate and to the point. ;)

Don't worry, soon (March 24th) I'll be joining the big green too.

Originally posted by IceBlaZe
Accurate and to the point. ;)

Don't worry, soon (March 24th) I'll be joining the big green too.
Flee while you still can.

I'm not kidding.

Top Bottom