JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

I believe the Mongol scenario should come first.
Because it has the most pointless UA ever, the most unrelated leaders ever, the most useless units ever(how am I suppose to conquer cities? With my Horseman?) and the worst scenario ever(everyone can settle more cities, the uniques nor city names for settled cities aren't changed, unhappiness is ridiculous, etc.).

Also, when do you plan on updating Lithuania?

how am I suppose to conquer cities? With my Horseman?

Use your horsemen to hit their units so that your siege units are safe around cities, use them to draw out their forces into the open and hit them with cavalry and other units. Then when your ranged units are done lowering a city's HP, a single horseman, knight, cavalry or lancer is enough to capture it without wasting the moves of your melee, ranged, and other siege units - which can be using their moves to get on to the next city. It's not actually that hard. :p

Don't forget you have KESHIKS as well. They practically remove a large need to use siege units for a large portion of a game in civ.

Use your horsemen to hit their units so that your siege units are safe around cities, use them to draw out their forces into the open and hit them with cavalry and other units. Then when your ranged units are done lowering a city's HP, a single horseman, knight, cavalry or lancer is enough to capture it without wasting the moves of your melee, ranged, and other siege units - which can be using their moves to get on to the next city. It's not actually that hard. :p

Don't forget you have KESHIKS as well. They practically remove a large need to use siege units for a large portion of a game in civ.

Yes I have one keshik. To have more, I need to upgrade\ build them(or to conquer cities). I also need to deal with ridiculous amount of unhappiness which gives me production and gold penalties. Then I would build a courthouse, which requires 4 maintenance. And... Last time I checked, in Vanilla, siege units required iron. Which I obviously need to get.

(Say you deal with all of it. The Mongols were happy with their conquests, IIRC it was their motivation.)
(They also didn't have to deal with the Tang nor with Naresuan's(or whatever) elephants.)

Yes I have one keshik. To have more, I need to upgrade\ build them(or to conquer cities). I also need to deal with ridiculous amount of unhappiness which gives me production and gold penalties. Then I would build a courthouse, which requires 4 maintenance. And... Last time I checked, in Vanilla, siege units required iron. Which I obviously need to get.

(They also didn't have to deal with the Tang nor with Naresuan's(or whatever) elephants.)

Natan, my comment was directed at and quoted a specific part of what you said, I'm not talking about the Mongol scenario. I just see you comment about mounted units vs. cities from time to time and I'm just saying that horsemen aren't actually useless for conquest-style play. And since we just so happen to be talking of the Mongols, I brought up the Keshiks. :p

(Say you deal with all of it. The Mongols were happy with their conquests, IIRC it was their motivation.)

I wouldn't say happiness was the reason for their conquests, that'd be simplifying various factors. Moreover, do you think the tens of millions of people who died and their relatives, friends and political allies were actually happy to 'welcome' the Mongols? :shifty:

It already got its redux by Firaxis, remember?

I think, if someone were to add more to the deluxe version by Firaxis, it could be something along the lines of an outline of North/South America with a 'scrambled' interior. Or a more historically authentic map and an expanded lineup of civs.

Are you a belieber?

Are you a rebel?

:mischief:

I feel a bit... How could you put this... Obvious teasing so obvious that not even Captain Obvious is willing to say how obvious this is obviously referring to.

Will using all Sweden mods have any bad affect on the others? (Ie using Karl with Sweden-Norway)

Nope, they're made to be compatible.

Also, by having both of them active at the same time, you get the full redesign of Gustavus' civ: a new unique ability and a new unique unit. Each other Sweden provides only one component - Oscar steals the Noble Prize UA, and Karl steals the Carolean UU, so Gustavus gets replacements.

Same thing with Henry VII + Victoria, results in having a full Elizabeth redesign.

Yeah, about that Elizabeth redesign... I kinda dislike the Playhouse. It may fit her perfectly historically, but it doesn't work well with the effects of the rest of the design.
I feel similarly about Henry VIII's uniques. Both would be better for medieval Englands. Henry VIII could have the generically named 'Grand Ship' as his UU or something...

Yeah, about that Elizabeth redesign... I kinda dislike the Playhouse. It may fit her perfectly historically, but it doesn't work well with the effects of the rest of the design.
I feel similarly about Henry VIII's uniques. Both would be better for medieval Englands. Henry VIII could have the generically named 'Grand Ship' as his UU or something...

The easy way to fix Elizabeth's design is to make the Playhouse provide Golden Age points when the Great Work of Art slot is filled.

As for Henry, make the Jousting Grounds provide Culture when the City is celebrating a WLTKD.

That said, it's all up to JFD on this one.

Look at my sig please...
Also, giving Elizabeth the grand carrack in a henry VIII mod is like giving Bismarck a Warmacht UU in a Hitler mod. Why?

I think for Elizabeth, the best thing would be some Great Writer reference in the UA.
Henry VIII is a bit different. I think the design is synergistic enough, but that the uniques are rather unfitting for the leader.

Woaah, what? Henry VIII is the archetypal joust-watching, fat, king who spawned half of our modern conceptions about medieval kingship - no English monarch deserves the jousting tourney more than he does imo. As for the longbowman, its fitting enough - it was used throughout British history until it was supplanted by firearms, so it fits Henry as much as anyone - there's no doubt he used them in his campaigns, they would have been commonly used at the time in England, and the first book ever compiled in English about archery, focussing particularly on the art of the longbow, was dedicated to Henry and written during his reign. Frankly I have no idea what you're talking about.

...also I just looked through the gametext for Alexios and WHOA are a ton of his lines noted there, even some that seem to be generic amongst all civs. Normally I thought if you just left those blank it defaulted to said generics...weird coding reason for this or just good practice in implementing that template for future civs should you want custom lines in said places?

It's mostly so that I don't have to remove line entries that I don't use (there are two entries: the one in the diplomacy response table and the actual text) from the diplomacy response table, which is just tedious to the extreme.

I believe the Mongol scenario should come first.
Because it has the most pointless UA ever, the most unrelated leaders ever, the most useless units ever(how am I suppose to conquer cities? With my Horseman?) and the worst scenario ever(everyone can settle more cities, the uniques nor city names for settled cities aren't changed, unhappiness is ridiculous, etc.).

Also, when do you plan on updating Lithuania?

Really not interested in the Mongol scenario. Really not interested in Lithuania atm.

The easy way to fix Elizabeth's design is to make the Playhouse provide Golden Age points when the Great Work of Art slot is filled.

As for Henry, make the Jousting Grounds provide Culture when the City is celebrating a WLTKD.

That said, it's all up to JFD on this one.

Careful there, Jim.

Just because you don't agree with, or understand, why I design the things the way I do, does not mean they are broken and in need of fixing. That sort of attitude is beheld by the civilizations that I tend to avoid.

Woaah, what? Henry VIII is the archetypal joust-watching, fat, king who spawned half of our modern conceptions about medieval kingship - no English monarch deserves the jousting tourney more than he does imo. As for the longbowman, its fitting enough - it was used throughout British history until it was supplanted by firearms, so it fits Henry as much as anyone - there's no doubt he used them in his campaigns, they would have been commonly used at the time in England, and the first book ever compiled in English about archery, focussing particularly on the art of the longbow, was dedicated to Henry and written during his reign. Frankly I have no idea what you're talking about.

I know that jousting tourneys gained a lot of popularity with the Tudors, but it's just that I (and probably a lot of other people) associate jousting with the middle ages and not the 1500s.

As for the Longbowman... eeeh I don't know. I associate British archery skills with the third crusade more than anything, maybe that's why.

I'm probably in the wrong anyway. I mean, both you and JFD are British in a sense, and should (and would) know better than I do.

Top Bottom