1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JOE-05 - The Crusades

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by JesusOnEez, Feb 28, 2007.

1. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

Hmmm...close. It was always going to be tricky getting all the cities Christian, especially with civs spamming cities in free space we leave from razing. I'd put culture back down to zero, maybe gift a city or two to Fred and proceed with your general attack plan.

I'd also keep cranking out Missionaries for those annoying pop-up cities...unless we simply raze them...it may be difficult to keep up though.

2. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

I'm up after mice due to the swap, but I've just popped an out of pocket notification in my sig for the weekend (Muse concert at the new Wembley stadium). I'll take a swap with Rince if that's OK with him.

3. mice

mice Moose

a Ha , gift a city to Fred . I never thought of that. It's the solution for sure.

We can manipulate the dom limit with ease and prepare an emphatic attack on those two cities. Then, pull the tigger and bam.

Rince, you have an interesting turnset.

4. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

5. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

Great job, mice. I'm glad you spotted the dilemma. I hadn't given it a thought when I saw Hatty's city in the north.

Can we gift any cities to Fred? Giving him former English cities will probably hurt him some because of distance maintenance. That should buy us some time to raze some of Hatty's cities.

6. mice

mice Moose

I'm sure we have to. We are teettering (sp?) on 63 %. With that tactic we can suerly get the variant. it will just take a bit of skill.

Rince, you're up.

7. Rince

Rince King

I got it............

8. Rince

Rince King

Maybe I'm blind but did you post the save, mice?

Rince

9. mice

mice Moose

Oh, sorry about that . I've been checking the boards through the weekend to see if you played, and no save. :blush:

here it is.

Attached Files:

10. Rince

Rince King

And I finally found some time to play, but no save!

I'll have a look at it now but play it tomorrow.

Greetings,

Rince

11. mice

mice Moose

Sorry about that. I looked at it and maybe giving away Medionium and the city to the south of it on the coast.

Also it might be a good idea to beef up the tanks and things on Freds border.

But, If you can engineer a deadly one turn strike on both cities, just before booming the culture borders out to 64%, then Fred wont have time to move.

It's a nice situation

12. Rince

Rince King

After looking at our situation I have to say that more war seems the only option.

I doubt that I'll be able to make the strike in 10 turns. We need a lot of transport capacity to get the island city and most transports are on the other side of the continent. It takes about 7 turns to get them there.

I guess the best would be to conquer the English city closest to the island as a staging point and then make peace with Liz to liberate troops for the Blitz.

As for giving cities away; Unfortunately Fred won't accept any crappy cities like the ones we conquered from Mehmed. I don't know but it kind of hurts to give him cities of our core empire for the conquest of which a lot of blood was shed some centuries ago. But if there's no other option....

Greetings,

Rince

13. mice

mice Moose

I'd give him Medelionium. It wont kill us. we will still win with the English land.

It seems to me thati it will take ten turns to load up for war. One turn to raze both opffending cites, and the turn before ramp up the culture. We should win dom beofre Fred mobilizes.

14. Rince

Rince King

Ok, played it.

1917:

To avoid premature domination I gift Virconium to Hatty. Why Hatty? Because she's the only one accepting crappy cities!

At the same time transports are moving from one side of the continent to the other to load up troops for the island invasion.

Another stack is moving towards Liverpool to conquer it as a rally point for island invasion. Bombers stationed there will just be at the perfect distance for bombing runs on the island.

Some troops are moving north to the other Egyptian city. Part of the navy also heads into that direction.

1918-1919:

Liverpool is bombarded in preparation for the attack.

1920:

Liverpool falls in a short battle, it is kept to act as a base.

Peace is declared between the English and our Great Empire. A glance on the victory screen tells me that we should gift another city. Ardea is chosen and it goes to Lizzy.

1921-22:

The silence before the storm.

1923:

Since the transports finally arrive I decide to pull the trigger. I crank up the culture slider to 100% and declare war on Hatty.

Problem is, we can't attack in a single turn because troops have to land on the island first and the northern army has to cross a wood tile first. Nevertheless our navy already gives the Egyptians a taste of what's to come by heavily bombarding the two heathen cities.

IBT:

This is the IBT I was afraid of. Of course Fred is not amused and sends a MASSIVE invasion army our way (yes, this top stack is all panzers):

I tried to put as many troops into our border cities as possible. Luckily he merely decides to invade and pillage. He doesn't attack cities just yet. Stupid AI.

1924:

Attacks on the island city start in the early morning:

Massive bombing runs and air raids damage the stationed MechInf. As soon as the smoke settles, a tank of ours and some artillery storm the city and burn it to the ground within hours. Only one heretic city left!

To the north similar events take place:

Again the city is crushed by bomber runs and razed before lunch time.

LONG LIVE CHRISTIANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we only have to win the game.

Land ownership is now at 63.94%! Just 0.06% short of victory!

IBT:

Fred attacks with full force. We don't have much to throw against his stacks of Panzers. First Marseille falls:

then Essen:

1925:

but....

Spoiler :

Thanks to border expansion the domination percentage rises to 64.73% giving us:

So we did it! The Great Crusade is over. Our Empire is still waging a war which it will probably loose but Christianity will win in any case!

Here's the save. I checked again to make sure all cities are Christian and I think they are.

Greetings,

Rince

Attached Files:

15. mice

mice Moose

Amen to that.

Exciting end, and now the world is a better place.

16. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

Good work team! This was fun. Thanks for letting me take part at the very end.

17. Lucky1972

Lucky1972 Prince

Lurker's comment:

Congratulations to all. Nice game to watch, nice wrap up.

18. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

Nice one chaps. Thanks all for your contributions and also to the MIA Cosmichail. Talk about timing! Freddy could have walked all over us ina few turns, so well managed Rince, and also to mice for prep work.

Thanks also to frankcor for filling in at the last minute, and vra for keeping us on edge...for ages...and ages...and ages... ;)

19. mice

mice Moose

Good to know some people were lurking the game. It had a lot of tension, especially the crusade against Louis. Sign of a well designed variant is that it was tense right to the end.