Journalism Citizen Group

The first issue has been sent out!! If you did not receive one, please just state so here. Also, here is the first issue for a "preview" if anyone wants to check it out before you get one.

Japanese Sun Times

The Japanese Sun newspaper's goal is to inform the citizens and non-citizens of the demogame of the current happenings in the varying aspects of the demogame. These topics include discussions, pollings, the role-playing game, and the legal matters. We will bring you the headlines of the news, and will point you in the right direction to learn more.

Game Events:
-As the link between the two continents, our nation is in an important position. After this recent turnchat, we discovered Astronomy, and our currently setting our sights on Chemistry and beyond (related thread). We are the only ones in the world who know of Astronomy, and the only ones on our continent who know of Education, putting us in a great tech brokering situation.
(related thread).If we can take advantage of this situation, we can come out of it with more gold per turn, maps, and lump sums of gold.

-After peace was declared with Rome, we built up both our cities and our military. The next two targets we would most likely go to war with would be either the Babylonians or the Iroquois. (related thread) However, some members do not want war unless it is in a defensive action. In either case, offensively or defensively, preparing our nation on the southern front seems to be one of the main focuses at this time.

-Though the game is still in the Middle Ages, some people are already thinking about the end. ;) A discussion on our desired victory condition has been started, and so far, the two favored options are honest diplomatic and histograph.(related thread) Even if we go for a histographic victory, that does not mean we need to conquer the world, except for one city of one civilization. Some citizens would rather prefer a peaceful (yet interesting!) ending to our game.

RPG Events:
The Demogame RPG has been in existance sense the second democracy game. The RPG throughout demogame 2 was widely popular, and there even became complaints that the demogame itself was not receiving enough attention. When a new democracy game was formed, the RPG was reformed, and this new reform although fairly popular at first, soon destroyed the RPG. The RPG was gone throughout half of DG3 and all of DG4. However through several efforts, a new RPG has been formed in this democracy game.

Recent Stories:
A University has been built in Zojoji!! You can join the story of the University in the RPG sub-forum.
(University of Zojoji story)

We have discovered a New World, and a group of adventurers have banded together to make a risky, yet profitable trip to the New World. Although the story is full, an no one else can join, you can still watch and listen to the adventure in the RPG sub-forum. (The New World story)

Recent Activity:
Both of the RPG managers have been slightly inactive as of late, and some people think that the RPG is not doing as well because of this. You can voice your views (out of character mind you) here.

Recent Judicial Activity:

DG5JR #23
The most recent Judicial Review, requested by Ashburnham, was over whether or not the Culture minister may over-ride a govonors build queue and place a wonder into the queue, or a wonder pre-build. The Chief Justice ruled (Ruling of DG6JR #23) that the govonors has sole power over instructing the DP on build queue's, and that no other minister may over-ride those queues. However, the Judge Advocate stated that he believed that the Culture Minister may over-ride a provincial queue if he has the will of the people behind him (Read his opinion here).

Other Activity
The Chief Justice refused a Judicial Review over wether or not there is a law that enforces when turnchats occur. He stated that sense the request was just a question, it has no merit.
(Request for Judicial Reviews | Judicial Review request declared to have No Merit)

Statistics and Graphs:

Graphs:

STOP THE PRESSES

Sorry, I just wanted to say that. I'd love to recieve your newspaper, whatever it is that you decide to name it.

Good paper. heres some ideas:
Letters from the public.
adverstiments (i dont know what for.)
A link to the current save.

All of those are good suggestions. If anybody has anything they would like to be quoted about in the newspaper, post here or pm us...we could "interview" people on RPG or Judicial stuff... a link to the current save and turnchat thread would also be handy.

Strider (and everyone else): should we make this a paper every 2 turnchats or every turnchat? (ie; weekly or twice weekly)? (I vote for weekly - not a lot happens in 10 turns...unless a major war, of course).

I just read my recent issue of the JST and I like it a lot! I think you should only do a paper every other or every couple of chats. Not too much usually happens in three/four days.

classical_hero said:
Maybe there could be a section for ministers to put any going ons in there related ministry.

Shouldn't this be independent of the government? Isn't that a major point of having a paper?

You could make a government paper.

This is really just for independent game news - we have links to related discussion. If you have a discussion that you think we could elaborate, then you could send us a PM. (Btw, adding a section like that would increase the # of characters in the PM - we were very close to 5000 (the max) last time. :eek: )

I want to know if I can protest wars in the paper.

I think if we add anymore we might have to start sending two PM's. We were extremely close to the 5,000 character limit on the last one.

Is it to late to sign up for a subscription, since I would like one :)

classical_hero said:
Maybe there could be a section for ministers to put any going ons in there related ministry.
What I was going was for ministers to put in the paper and discussion threads or polls that are up. The Justices could put in summaries of any judgements so that we have an easy source of info. This could also be used to advertise the DemoGame on the first page. I believe that this newspaper could become a one stop source of all the goings on in the game. The sections for minister should always be brief and in link format, because we can get more info at the links if we want to.

As I believe I've said: if the ministers have links to discussions (and maybe a little info about them) that can be used to become a paragraph (ie; a big trading session, or the plan for a railroad system, etc), then we will certainly consider it. That's the goal of the newspaper: to bring citizens and non citizens the news of the demogame.

Can I be added to the subscription list please?

TIA

GA, I'm going to be gone tommorow untill sunday evening. So I won't be here to work on the newspaper. So how about the next issue be tuesday or wednesday?

That's fine Strider. I'll probably be at the turnchat Sunday afternoon - after it, Sunday night, I'll think of 3 - 4 discussion articles to put in the game updates section. After 2 turnchats, I think there'll be enough to write about. If we work towards a weekly Tuesday/Wednesday publish date, that gives us enough time to collect info, write it, and publish it. :)

Ginger_Ale said:
That's fine Strider. I'll probably be at the turnchat Sunday afternoon - after it, Sunday night, I'll think of 3 - 4 discussion articles to put in the game updates section. After 2 turnchats, I think there'll be enough to write about. If we work towards a weekly Tuesday/Wednesday publish date, that gives us enough time to collect info, write it, and publish it. :)

Exactly what I was thinking. :goodjob:

Also, I'll keep thinking about anything extra we can add, though we can't add much can we? We could start doing a "more detailed" private newspaper (VIA PM), and a public (posted in the forums) less detailed, but going over the entire demogame.

That's a good idea - the public version could be posted on the front page (?) and could just include paraphrases in a paragraph of the major headlines, just to tell people what the news is, and see if they would want to sign up. And the private, PM version would be more in depth, explaining the news. Fine with me. :)

About news: I'll probably make a paragraph about Germany's downfall and the possibility / pollings done on an Iroquois war...I'll probably find something else to write about. Again: I do game updates (and I'll paraphrase them too) for the public and private version, and you will do the RPG and Judicial? Seems like a good system!

Top Bottom