June 2020 Developer Livestream Discussion

They just said Secret Societies is a more fantastical game mode, right? Did I hear that right? They mentioned it in the same breath with Apocalypse mode and Red Death.
Yeah, Anton did say all three were more of the silly/fantastical variety. However, he did also say that there would be some more traditional/historical modes/content coming up...so yay?!?

Yeah, Anton did say all three were more of the silly/fantastical variety. However, he did also say that there would be some more traditional/historical modes/content coming up...so yay?!?
I don't mind the odd fantastical mode but it's surprising they didn't mix them up a bit more with the more historical ones. Perhaps they thought people would be more enticed by the fantastical ones.

I don't mind the odd fantastical mode but it's surprising they didn't mix them up a bit more with the more historical ones. Perhaps they thought people would be more enticed by the fantastical ones.

To be fair so far I liked the new content just fine, even if the new civs did not excite me. I hope they do improve the apocalypse mode and iron out their flaws. But what i really hope is for them on taking a bite on the old time game issues and release modes focused on global diplomacy mechanics and plagues/diseases.

Last edited:
I'd love them to do something to make the Future Era (and late game in general) feel a bit less of a slog. In my one game of experience so far, I was easily able to win before the Apocalypse Mode really came into it at all, and it didn't really spice up the later stages of the game (though maybe I should have gone all-out fossil fuel consumption to speed it up?)

But a big yes to a plague/disease mode; that has so much potential. It's been much-requested so I think we are extremely likely to see it.

The challenge to a plague mode is I think designing some updates to the AI to handle it. That's, if I recall correctly, the main reason the scenario is multiplayer.

But, that's the game... You can't just say "There is an enemy there but I'm invulnerable". Pete didn't see the ranger, but I did. Makes you learn, doesn't it? It will at most be a mistake you make once.

But hey, that's just my opinion : ) I understand your motivation.
They should just move the barbarians out a bit further so players have more ability to react. No one needs players to be overly shielded from barbarians, except to the extent it makes for unenjoyable turn 1/turn 2 elimination gameplay. And everything in that scenario can make you learn as is anyway. Players should be eliminated by each other more than non-player barbarians. :)

Last edited:
They should just move the barbarians out a bit further so players have more ability to react. No one needs players to be overly shielded from barbarians, except to the extent it makes for unenjoyable turn 1/turn 2 elimination gameplay. And everything in that scenario can make you learn as is anyway. Players should be eliminated by each other more than non-player barbarians. :)

That's actually a very good idea!

That's actually a very good idea!

I am unconviced this is neccesary. Does turn one elimination happen often?. Seeing the video i would say that in the stream they just made a bad movement they ould easily have prevented just by payin attention.

Also RD is aimed to a fast gameplay, having invulnerability turns looks like not really apropiate.

Imagine if you had a 1 minute no goal allowed in football (or socker), yes goals in the first minute are infrequent and only happen due to careless playing and distractions, but is a part of the game. Is what is effectively removing a turn from the game worth it?

Last edited:
It's not invulnerability we are asking for -- it's more player interaction with other players that will result if the barbarians are placed just a bit further out. The scenario is multiplayer-only Battle Royale after all. Why not make the most of it? :)

Video is available to subscribers on YouTube. (May have been there, but it alerted me today, so I figured I would mention it).

Top Bottom