Jury Awards Thread

I would like to echo Plotinus for saying thanks to Balthazar for organizing this.

Thanks guys for putting some loight on Bamspeedy, I'm currently reading the "Beyond Sid" thread and post #2 is hilarious :lol:

Ah yes, that's the one. A famous tale from the early days of Civ III!

While many of my heroes from my Civ3 modding days are here, I was disappointed there was no mention of the godfather of quality Civ3 unit creation, Balou.

he was in the mix. did not make the top 10 iirc. but he was surely recognized. small sample size is probably what put him down the list. of course, the jury acknowledged the advanced nature of the work. just hard to fit him into the top decade peoples.

Thanks for the award! I'm surprised and honored to receive one in light of a decade of quality competition. Thanks also for the very good write-up of the awards: there's quite a bit I was unaware of until this thread as a relative newcomer.

Ah yes, that's the one. A famous tale from the early days of Civ III!

That is an excellent tale. I don't remember if I read it in one night or two, but either way it kept my attention very well after I discovered it a couple years ago.

Thanks for the award! I'm surprised and honored to receive one in light of a decade of quality competition. Thanks also for the very good write-up of the awards: there's quite a bit I was unaware of until this thread as a relative newcomer.
I discovered a lot of stuff too, and a lot of people also. I went on and searched for old stuff I could have missed, and found this excellent story by pawpaw. The guy is gone now, he used to post mostly in the World History forum, which I didn't read a lot by that time but is a big inspiration nowadays.

This was a great story as well, still entertaining a couple years after its release.

Imo the jury awards were not a good idea. I don't plan to have the award in my signature for that reason. I mean some people were claiming this should not be elitist, and they ended up making a jury of a few people to judge awards- rather inconsistent.

that's a rather crappy thing to post. you're surely in the minority. take or leave your award old boy. no sweat off our backs :) you were recognized by a group of your peers, ones who have a great deal of experience and class. what's better than that? i see nothing elitist about that.

Since it seems 'petulant' is from the french 'petulare' which means "to attack playfully", i would not really consider it as correct. I was making a pragmatic statement, if anyone appeared unduly irritable that was you.
Anyway, i think some people in the jury were unfit for that job, but overall finding fit people would be hard, which is why in so many words- since it appears i need to spell it out- the jury awards were elitist and a bad idea imo. Obviously anyone can have his opinion, far from me to wish to change yours.

this is an english speaking forum and you have the wrong definition of the word petulant. of course, you're entitled to your opinion. but your remarks are insolent. look that one up too while you're at it ;)

Imo the jury awards were not a good idea. I don't plan to have the award in my signature for that reason. I mean some people were claiming this should not be elitist, and they ended up making a jury of a few people to judge awards- rather inconsistent.

Elitist? Really? I do this in my pajamas.

There were as many points of view on this as there are members. For those who prefer popular preferences, there were the Decade Awards. For those who thought that a more thoughtful, informed approach was called for, there were the Jury Awards. There were those who objected to the awards altogether, and I respect those opinions, but respectfully disagree, in part because nobody came forward with a better or alternative way to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Besides, it seems a bit stuffy to object to everyone else having some fun.

As for the make-up of the jury, I stand by my opinion that this Jury was outstanding. Each is a respected member of the forum. Each brought unique knowledge and experience to the table. Surely the breadth of the awards themselves should convince you that they are far from uninformed, nor do I detect a hint of elitism in their choices.

Kyriakos, these gentlemen were gracious enough to recognize your fine work; it would be most gracious of you to accept their recognition in the spirit in which it was offered, without belittling them or their (or our) intent. On reflection, I'm sure you'll realize that the jury are all guys like you, trying to lend a bit of intelligence and fun to our little website, and that railing against 'elite' opinion here is, to say the least, a bit of misplaced social consciousness.

Kyriakos, these gentlemen were gracious enough to recognize your fine work; it would be most gracious of you to accept their recognition in the spirit in which it was offered, without belittling them or their (or our) intent. On reflection, I'm sure you'll realize that the jury are all guys like you, trying to lend a bit of intelligence and fun to our little website, and that railing against the 'elite' here is, to say the least, a bit of misplaced social consciousness.

I was a very active Mac GOTM player in the Civ 3 era, and was surprised to see no mention of Cracker, who made GOTM games accessible to the Mac community, and whose GOTM games were on-the-fly mods, increasing in complexity each month. Does anyone remember his mindboggling Mongols game? The GOTM was center stage in CFC back then, and these mods were enjoyed and discussed by a lot of people back then.

That he isn't mentioned here at all is probably due to politics - specifically, his combativeness, forced exit from moderating, and subsequent departure from CFC. Politics are inevitably linked to all elites, even this well-meaning but self-appointed group. It may well explain why some people choose to not accept an award for political reasons.

I was a very active Mac GOTM player in the Civ 3 era, and was surprised to see no mention of Cracker, who made GOTM games accessible to the Mac community, and whose GOTM games were on-the-fly mods, increasing in complexity each month. Does anyone remember his mindboggling Mongols game? The GOTM was center stage in CFC back then, and these mods were enjoyed and discussed by a lot of people back then.

That he isn't mentioned here at all is probably due to politics - specifically, his combativeness, forced exit from moderating, and subsequent departure from CFC. Politics are inevitably linked to all elites, even this well-meaning but self-appointed group. It may well explain why some people choose to not accept an award for political reasons.

I can assure you that politics did not come into Cracker not being mentioned. None of the jury members were mods or admins, we were all people who simply mod Civ III and there was a wide spread of modders to try and capture as many deserving award winners as we could. Inevitably, there would be people who we simply forgot about - I do remember Cracker now you've mentioned him, but it's been a while since the Mongols game. We tried our utmost to make sure people wouldn't have been forgotton, but we're all human beings at the end of the day. It was well-meaning, as you said; members have the choice to accept or reject awards given. I really had hoped that people would take these acknowledgements in the spirit in which they were given.

I can assure you that politics did not come into Cracker not being mentioned. None of the jury members were mods or admins, we were all people who simply mod Civ III and there was a wide spread of modders to try and capture as many deserving award winners as we could. Inevitably, there would be people who we simply forgot about - I do remember Cracker now you've mentioned him, but it's been a while since the Mongols game. We tried our utmost to make sure people wouldn't have been forgotton, but we're all human beings at the end of the day. It was well-meaning, as you said; members have the choice to accept or reject awards given. I really had hoped that people would take these acknowledgements in the spirit in which they were given.

I'm glad to hear that Cracker was inadvertently forgotten. And to be clear, I am on the same page as you with regard to the spirit of these acknowledgments. My point was that I can see how they could be viewed as political by others. But then, I like a dash of bracing reality with my fuzzy good times!

Kyriakos, I have already told you that these threads are not intended for people to complain about the process. If you don't like the awards, fine - keep it to yourself. The time to raise objections was when the awards were being proposed and planned, not a fortnight after they've been announced. This is not the kind of comment that makes any constructive contribution at all, and it is certainly not the kind of comment that reflects well on the person making it.

Top Bottom