Kerbal Space Program

I tried to get my submarine to fly and it was just too heavy. I put even more rockets on it and boosters and more wings all sorts of stuff and none of it worked. The best I could do is speed it up to about 170m/s right as the runway stops, and then fly for about 2 seconds while slowly descending and then eventually exploding. There's just so much ore/ballast there, I'm not surprised, but I did spend a while trying to get this thing to fly

I wish I took more screenshots because there were a lot more trials (and errors)

I am trying to return to KSP, but i like to play it with lots of mod. So i start CKAN and mark 100 or 120 mods, turning a great game into something really amazing. KSP on steroids. So many steroids that it eventually becomes unstable with continuous CTDs and totally messed up, then the career savegame gets corrupted and i end invariably angry and frustrated and uninstall it. :cry:

I am for the most part a casual gamer. If KSP had a built-in method to install and maintain mods that would have been awesome. But since you have to manually copy files over, I just don't bother. I play 100% stock. Last time I installed mods, the next time I loaded up the game (a couple months later), some of the mods were out of date. I had to figure out each one.. was too much effort, so F mods.

It is not more like that. There is a method to install and maintain mods. It is a little program called CKAN which i mentioned in my previous post. It has a list with all mods and its description so you only have to chose which ones you want and it does all the work of downloading, installing, keeping them updated and looking for dependences and incompatibilities. It is magic. 0 effort.

I would not recommend going crazy and install everything like i always do but a few which are a must.

That's my main gripe with the game. You arrive to the Venus equivalent in the game for the first time, and.. you can see the ground from orbit. It's like going to your first Star Wars movie and nobody in the movie is wearing pants.

Thanks for alerting me of this btw! I will be checking it out and probably installing some graphical mods. EVE sounds promising. I think I had it installed at one point, but then yeah, the next time I loaded up the game everything broke and I ragequit and didn't play for a while. If this thing will keep everything up to date for me, then that's awesome

Does it figure out which mods are not compatible (when a new version comes out or whatever) and remove them from the game for you so you don't have to?

Yep that is the whole point. Every time you run it, it goes online and consult a repository maintained by the community to keep your installation updated.

Also there is a plugin for EVE called SVE (so a mod to modify another mod :crazyeye:) which create pretty amazing volumetric clouds:

Never tried it and dont know if can installed within ckan. It surely needs a powerful PC too.

OOooooh. I think installing some of these mods will help me get some more enjoyment out of the game, especially if I continue trying to design planes and/or flying submarines. I suppose I might as well see what sort of submarine mods are out there, if any. Building a stock submarine is a bit of a nightmare as the only thing heavy enough to be used as ballast is ore

Never went underwater with ksp (with bitcoin on the other hand... :rolleyes:). Didnt know it was even possible in fact. But there must be
mods for that too with such a great community.

Check out this post on the previous page, and you'll see my first working submarine. The only problem is that once it uses up about 60% of its fuel, it floats up once you shut off your engines, so you can't refuel. In theory you could refuel after only using up 50% of your fuel, at which point the sub would sink to the bottom. I kept adding more and more ballast (and engines, might as well), until it sort of spiralled out of control. I think I could get it to work by converting about 50% of the fuel tanks I have into ore tanks, but that would be annoying to do, and you could probably only move about 5-8km before having to refuel, which would be so incredibly tedious

That is cool. Cant you use some nuclear reactor to solve your energy problems?

Now it seems squad (or whatever it is called now) is going the DLC path to milk some extra cash from KSP. Maybe they add a sea biome with kerbinian wildlife and such. I for one couldnt help myself and would bite the fly. :hammer2:

@warpus

Attach bigass wings on decouplers and get rid of them when you get to your destination :yup:

I think it will be too heavy to fly even with giant wings. I haven't tried attaching the biggest wings possible, but I tried a lot of stuff. Maybe I will play with it again later this week or over the weekend.

Nuclear reactors.. I thought of looking into that before I sort of gave up on the project, but didn't end up getting there. I've never used them, what do they use for fuel?

I think it will be too heavy to fly even with giant wings. I haven't tried attaching the biggest wings possible, but I tried a lot of stuff. Maybe I will play with it again later this week or over the weekend.

Nuclear reactors.. I thought of looking into that before I sort of gave up on the project, but didn't end up getting there. I've never used them, what do they use for fuel?
I think you can only get nuclear reactors with mods.

I second the CKAN recommendation - that's what I used when I restarted my last game after ragequitting and deciding to double down on mods.

Is there DLC for this game coming out?

Hm I thought nuclear stuff generating electricity was stock. But I never really looked.

There is an expansion coming out called Making History

I played around with my sub again today. Took out half the fuel tanks and replaced them with ore. When I run out of fuel 900m underwater right at the bottom of the ocean, I basically just float there. Like stuck in time. I let my sub just float there for a while to see if it might sink, but nope, very slowly floating up.

Oh and it's still not getting into space

nuclear engines should generate electricity by burning, and there are stock radioactive thermal generators. Not sure what reactor stuff you're talking about.

I mean this thing. I never really stopped and looked at the details, but I knew it was radioactive and it generated electricity somehow

Do these things just generate electricity with no fuel or any sort of other input? They seem to be heavy so maybe I just strap a whole crapload of these babies onto my sub and maybe that will do it. But it seems it'd need some sort of fuel... wiki doesn't seem to say so though unless i'm blind

yes, the fuel is internal, it's a piece of decaying plutonium or something it says on the wiki

I was thinking on the stock plutonium thingies to make it simple, but there are a number of mods that adds reactors of all kinds. Near Future Technologies has fission and fussion. And KSP-Interstellar has even exotic ones as antimatter but since it tries to make them somewhat realistic it is bit complicated to make them work properly. You need radiators to dissipate waste heat and such.

Top Bottom