KoS4 - Something more casual (?)

Hmm, looks like the choice to settle is clear.
The forest plains hill (1S) gives food + production and hopefully more forests in the dark.

I might be a bit reluctant to throw away BFC corn, even non-irrigated to move further south but I guess we'll see after the settler is moved. (Going to do it in the morning, tired now)

Agree with the 1S consensus.

Rules question (admittedly this may never become an issue). Attacking units in cities with planes is out, but using them to bombard culture defenses or pillage tiles sounds ok. However, if the AI has fighters this may lead to destroying AI planes on intercept that are based in cities...is that allowable?

Hmm good question. I would say that, technically, the combat does not happen in the city (say if you are pillaging a cottage near it).
I'm going to say let's allow it, but as a side note planes aren't allowed to bombard city culture.

~~~

Here's what moving the settler showed.

Gosh, that's some horrible starting land. If we plot down here, this city can only be a production one... there's nothing else good for it with this amount of brown land.

That is ugly... IDK. Wandering seems wrong, as the south looks like crap. Options? Settle the PH; settle 1NW to get the other cow and more river tiles; NNW also gets the wheat. We lose another turn with those other options, plus a few turns off the first worker. Typically I'd save the north for another city, but a good capital is probably > an extra mediocre city IMHO. I like GH. Maybe we can overlap a resource with an infill city later. We won't be cottaging this city. It can be a good settler/worker pump; use the food surplus to run some specs, WS everything brown later.

At least it's Epic Speed :crazyeye:

Wandering might take a while to find a decent spot. We already have a good prod spot in NNW, where the warrior is. Cottages will have to go somewhere else imo.

Lurker

I'd go either NW or (more likely) NNW. You lose the extra hammer plant, but all that brown-riverside looks a lot more attractive with 4 food resources. At size 4-5 Carthage would have great setter producing power ...

At size 4-5 Carthage would have great setter producing power ...
Hannibal is charismatic, so we're talking about a 6-7 size capital.
Collecting all the available food resources will result in much faster city growth.
Settling on the green hill will also give more forests.
The best spot at the moment, IMHO.
More wandering/scouting will probably result in a re-roll.

lurker

Hannibal is charismatic, so we're talking about a 6-7 size capital.

Yes, but growing beyond size 5 doesn't add much to the settler/worker building capacity. You could of course prioritize early cottages, but it seems to me that the variant makes early land grabbing a real priority.

settle in place. Early exploration is absolutely critical in this variant. I do not think we will have any cottages in capital. workers- bunch of warriors to go explore.

Ok, after rolling back and forth between settling in place on the Plains Hill and settling NNW on the warrior I'm leaning towards the warrior site.

Here's the reasoning:
a) The land is crappy. Therefore (and in this variant especially) we want to go find new land. The best way to do that w/o pointy sticks is build a lot of settlers. Therefore we want max food/hammers concentrated in one city for settler/worker production and NNW has much more of that than in place.
b) When we start backfilling and have cities that want to start poaching the food there will be enough food left over to run 2 scientists for when the econ crashes (I expect it will).

I'll post some more thoughts later but SIP appears to have a better blocking value. Having tundra just north of us leads me to think we might be on one of the far ends of the Pangea, meaning we possibly have a backland available to be filled later.

Quite so. While SIP will accelerate first worker and first settler by ~3 turns, it's after those that the difference will be felt. Team seems to be feeling NNW right now so I'll go with that.

Worker first while researching Ag followed by AH (unlikely to start it but we'll see).

Expect a report in a little bit.

15 turns sure goes by fast on Epic speed! Or is that slowly...

I settled Carthage on the grassland hill, netting us corn, wheat, 2 cows and wine.
Spoiler :

Start on worker, Agriculture queued (13 turns).

The warrior was sent west before turning south for a while and then eastbound, in a circular fashion.

I popped a lucky hut for 57 gold but I fear this is the only one we'll see.
Spoiler :

Encountered Napoleon's scout a bit further west.
Spoiler :

As a result, I kept going west until I saw the edge of his borders. He's not too far but not too close either. (screenshot later)

From the south came Zara... his pesky culture will be annoying.
Spoiler :

And Pacal showed up from the east. This is the first good news... he tends to be a sissy and could make a voluntary vassal.
Spoiler :

On t15 exactly, Agriculture finished. I queued AH as it seems to be a no-brainer.
Spoiler :

Here's the overall view of the explored land.
Spoiler :

Diplo with peaceweights.
Spoiler :

Zara has not met Pacal or Napoleon so far.

Other than that, there's not much to say. There are a few good spots available already and we'll probably want to settle them aggressively. Notably, the Ivory nearby Napoleon could prove useful.

Pacal and Napoleon will voluntary vassal @ Friendly
Zara does @ Pleased. Fortunately, he's easy to get to Pleased with his favorable disposition towards the human.

In emperor level, it's usually good and doable to suppress one AI by stealing his 1st worker, Nappy is a very good target as I see.

Top Bottom