[NFP] Kublai Khan Discussion Thread

+3 faith was a red herring apparently. Consider me 'whelmed'. An economic policy slot is nice but nothing about his LUA makes me think he's going to open up a unique playstyle for China/Mongolia (unlike say Eleanor's LUA).

So do we think it you start with Kublai and get the owls of Minerva immediately the game breaks cause there's only two cards but three spots to be filled?

I guess it would be too broken for mongolia if he gets eurekas and inspirations every time he gets a trading post, but for china, if he only gets that once every civ, that sounds a bit underwhelming. China is already below average without Qin.
Maybe if this works on city-states, it will be better.

An extra economic slot early is great, and the synergy with the Mongolian UA really is nice.
Why would he have one in a historical context, though?

Very interesting, but kind of... underwhelming?

The "Gain extra eurekas and inspirations" part is underwhelming for me. Yes, it synergizes nicely with both China and Mongolia (which means it's a much better dual leader than Eleanor), but the strengths of both those civilizations came from the Leaders. Kubichina doesn't seems particularly strong for me, and same for Kubigolia.

I feel that the extra economic card slot was artificially put here to balance it.

Overall I will certainly try it. But Mongolia is not a civ I like (because I don't like domination civs) and the interest of China laid in Qin's bonuses which are quite strong (first IIRC in the elimination thread), so Kubichina and Kubigolia could be fun but not staples of my games I think.
You can use extra econic card to speed up a wonder- yes not good as Qin's ability but the aide for wonder building is still there.

Any words on his agenda? I have a feeling he would be similar to Wilhelmina's
Maybe disliking you if you aren't in trade range/too far away? :dunno:

Early game that would include being separated by big bodies of water which fits him trying to invade Japan and Indonesia. Other than that I don't know.

I guess now we know that Kublai had God King early, which is why he was getting faith. :lol:

Eurekas and inspirations triggering once per civ, does that include city states too or not...?

Maybe if this works on city-states, it will be better.

Can't be sure until we see the game's official wording, but it's important to note that the video only says the eureka+inspiration happens when a trading post is created in "another civ's city".
No mention of major or minor civ; we all refer to playable civs as "civs" and city states as "city states", but the game calls playable ones "major civs" and city states "minor civs". Seems to indicate that city states count towards this, but official clarification would be more than welcome.

lol trash. The Economic slot is very good because Economic Cards are the best ones, but the Eureka's aren't going to matter at all. Seems boring, but servicable to me.

Why would he have one in a historical context, though?

Policy cards are pretty abstract, but economic policies represent Kublai’s investment in both international trade and domestic infrastructure while building his new capital, I guess.

I wonder if they got the Leader Screens right, though... White-clothed Kublai looks like he's in China, and Yellow-clothed Kublai looks like he's in Mongolia...
I’m no expert but white was also the imperial colour of the Yuan dynasty.

I still really dislike his leader model, but these bonuses seem appropriate.

Can't wait to pop a bunch of eurekas and inspirations I probably would've naturally gotten on my own! You'll probably want to hold off on establishing international trade routes for a while so that you're actually popping good techs/civics worth popping... but as Mongolia you want to establish those ASAP so it seems counterintuitive.

That seems pretty weak TBH. Good thing he gets an extra economic policy. Not exactly the most exciting leader to play as though.

If he could somehow mark techs/civics as what he wants to get inspirations/eurekas on that would help a lot.

I guess now we know that Kublai had God King early, which is why he was getting faith. :lol:
At least it wasn't Pastures getting +1 Faith for every adjacent Plains Tile without a Forest. :lol:

Top Bottom