[NFP] Kublai Khan Discussion Thread

I would say Eleanor isn't boring at all. Or Bull Moose Teddy. Heck, even Chandragupta is pretty fun to play and completely flips how you would approach India.
Playstyle is key to enjoyment, my friend.

The extra economic policy slot makes him very strong. Someone said it's kinda boring. Yes, that's true. This is how alternate leaders are ;)

Yes and no. Alt leaders aren't necessarily boring, but the choice to have them over an additional Civ is boring.

Kublai's ability is pretty dull though, but given that we have abilities that are literally like '+1 wildcard slot' and '+1 builder charge', perhaps we shouldn't throw stones.

Really missing the Hat. Thou is there much difference between both attires? & we were wrong on yellow for China.

Attachments

• 20210126_220008.jpg
    20210126_220008.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210126_220130.jpg
    20210126_220130.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 64
Another thing I noticed - people were wondering what Kublai's capital would be, and we can see here it is in fact Beijing

kublaibeijing.png

edit: better picture
edit2: chinese capital is beijing, mongolian capital is xanadu

Last edited:
Starina, no offense, but why would Firaxis make his Ability so mind-bogglingly specific?! It's less applicable than the actual Abilities he has, and requires very lucky spawn RNG.
I didn’t talk about mind-bogglingly. And yes, it is not the best one. But, I did not understand where he got so much faith, science and culture (faith? ok, pantheon and/or card). And why not put the campus at +4. Or at least a military camp. It is still unclear.
I suspected someone would have the ability with an economic policy slot ... BUT IS IT ALL FOR KUBLAI? Strong but boring

Moderator Action: This is an English language site. Our rules require all foreign language posts be accompanied by an English translation. Please edit this post to add an English translation, or this post will be deleted. Browd
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited:
Here's what I think is going to happen more often than not:

You'll be playing as China, which means you don't have as much control over when to trigger the ability. After a a trading post is finally established after whatever amount of turns, which you don't really know because the trade screen still doesn't show the correct amount of turns left (or did they fix that?), the ability will more often than not trigger eurekas and inspirations which aren't particularly useful, like apprenctiship or something like that.

Not only will you not be encouraged to build trade routes, you'll be encouraged not to build trade routes out of fear you might trigger the ability at the wrong time. It will make things frustrating for the player.

It will be easier when playing Mongolia, since you can choose the timing more appropriately.

Am I missing something?
---

Honestly, imo they should remove the economy slot and just have the ability trigger with every trading post established. It's OP, but it's fun and unique.

Edit: Another approach would be to make it trigger with every new trade route. So each trade route level would trigger it once. (deleting and rebuilding a trade route would have no effect). This would encourage the player to focus on expanding the amount of trade routes they have.

Last edited:

You'll be playing as China, which means you don't have as much control over when to trigger the ability. After a a trading post is finally established after whatever amount of turns, which you don't really know because the trade screen still doesn't show the correct amount of turns left (or did they fix that?), the ability will more often than not trigger eurekas and inspirations which aren't particularly useful, like apprenctiship or something like that.

Not only will you not be encouraged to build trade routes, you'll be encouraged not to build trade routes out of fear you might trigger the ability at the wrong time. It will make things frustrating for the player.

It will be easier when playing Mongolia, since you can choose the timing more appropriately.

Am I missing something?
---

Honestly, imo they should remove the economy slot and just have the ability trigger with every trading post established. It's OP, but it's fun and unique.

Edit: Another approach would be to make it trigger with every new trade route. So each trade route level would trigger it once. (deleting and rebuilding a trade route would have no effect). This would encourage the player to focus one expanding the amount of trade routes they have.
As China you would relay more on Economy slot.

Am I missing something?
---

It seems Kublai is as vanilla as Rome and Sumeria. His ability has flavors of both, i.e. small boost to Science and Culture with Trade Route mechanics.

Intersting, I wonder what happens in these two scenarios:

- Unlock Owls of Minerva (+1 Economic Policy) before Code of Laws.

And Unlocking Owls of Minerva after Code of Laws but before the second civic.

Code of Laws only has 2 Economic Cards and Kublai will have 3 slots.

It's more worrysome because I think the game will prevent you from slotting in cards unless the amount of cards in your deck equals to at least the amount of slots you have in your government, which means with 4 slots it should prompt you to slot in cards.

I think they went with extra econ slot so we can more readily use the policies that buff trade routes, such caravansaries and trade confederation. I might have preferred giving trade routes an intrinsic buff to yields instead.

I am “meh” on Kublai because I don’t play dom civs such as Mongolia and I can’t imagine China without Qin’s perks. Vietnam excites me though.

Intersting, I wonder what happens in these two scenarios:

- Unlock Owls of Minerva (+1 Economic Policy) before Code of Laws.

And Unlocking Owls of Minerva after Code of Laws but before the second civic.

Code of Laws only has 2 Economic Cards and Kublai will have 3 slots.

It's more worrysome because I think the game will prevent you from slotting in cards unless the amount of cards in your deck equals to at least the amount of slots you have in your government, which means with 4 slots it should prompt you to slot in cards.
@Andrew Johnson [FXS] already confirmed that no bug would happen. They fixed it a long time ago.

Top Bottom